Michael Sam is out.

agardin

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brace yourselves, the stupid is coming!

UGA lineman has already tweeted (and deleted) "Glad I don't have to block Michael Sam he might get too touchy feely"

Twitter was made for stories like this, the number of idiots who will fire off 140 characters of pure stupid is going to be astounding.

Brace yourselves, the stupid is coming!

UGA lineman has already tweeted (and deleted) "Glad I don't have to block Michael Sam he might get too touchy feely"

Yeah, intolerance! Awesome! I wish I was an NCAA football player, I'd tweet stuff about minorities playing football. Ya know, Hispanics should stick to swimming because they're good at it. And minorities should whatever is racist or something. Yeah! Intolerance! Hip hip hooray!

This is huge. And very good news. I'm glad that he's done something so courageous. I consider myself an activist. I always speak up when ignorance comes out of those around me, and I always do what I can to support the cause.

With that said, I hope we don't see "I hope my team drafts Michael Sam" now. I would welcome him in Buffalo, but I don't want them to draft him based on this. I would draft him purely based on his ability and the team need.

Good for him--that is courageously brave. Here's hoping that the society of the NFL has made (or makes) the strides it needs to to accept this.

Not being much of a Twitter guy myself, I'm assuming that WEO's making up that J. Martin tweet for yuks (although that is what I've personally suspected since his whole mess started)....

I long for the day when this isn't even a discussion that's had.

Making it public prior to the draft is definitely taking a stand. His outing coupled with a little ignorance or bigotry could cost him some $.

Certainly hope he doesn't lose any opportunity and that the only question about him on draft day is... Can he get to the QB? Without antibody uttering "depends on how cute he is..."

Bravo.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Much will be said about the man but he has a pretty decorated record in the toughest conference in college, and he is defusing a lot of prospective attacks by doing this before the draft - while certainly putting himself in the bullseye for others. He also lets teams know where he stands - as teams will do with him.

His will be a story to follow. If he drops I do hope the Bills do the right thing and take him for his talent.

who cares. Seems attention seeking to me. I do not approve of that lifestyle, but I don't care how he lives. Can he play football? His life choices are his own.

Think about it this way - if he didn't do it, and let the rumors fly, is that better?

It won't get people to stop talking about it, but ultimately if he plays well and is already out, it will be a footnote to a good football career. If he doesn't play well and he's closeted, you get all the kind of stuff that followed Kordell and other guys (whether they were gay or not).

who cares. Seems attention seeking to me. I do not approve of that lifestyle, but I don't care how he lives. Can he play football? His life choices are his own.

I see this a lot. Do you not care or do you not approve? It can't be both. Not caring is, by definition, an absence of opinion.

It's also worth noting, I think, that not every gay man leads a gay "lifestyle". Just as you probably wouldn't primarily describe your lifestyle as a straight lifestyle.

Better to release the story on his own terms than get "found out" and let the rumors begin flying.

Makes sense. His whole team apparently knew and didn't care. Seems like this will be an espn media frenzy and a total non-issue during the draft and his career. I'm just cynical that this isn't for some endorsement deal and an idea of his agent.

Much will be said about the man but he has a pretty decorated record in the toughest conference in college, and he is defusing a lot of prospective attacks by doing this before the draft - while certainly putting himself in the bullseye for others. He also lets teams know where he stands - as teams will do with him.

His will be a story to follow. If he drops I do hope the Bills do the right thing and take him for his talent.

Think about it this way - if he didn't do it, and let the rumors fly, is that better?

It won't get people to stop talking about it, but ultimately if he plays well and is already out, it will be a footnote to a good football career. If he doesn't play well and he's closeted, you get all the kind of stuff that followed Kordell and other guys (whether they were gay or not).

I don't think it does anything to his draft stock. I just hope he doesn't end up on a crazy team like Miami, NYJ etc.

Makes sense. His whole team apparently knew and didn't care. Seems like this will be an espn media frenzy and a total non-issue during the draft and his career. I'm just cynical that this isn't for some endorsement deal and an idea of his agent.

I'm sure his agent is thrilled that he'll probably be dropping a round in the draft and ready for all sorts of lucrative gay-oriented endorsements. Are you serious?

I don't think it does anything to his draft stock. I just hope he doesn't end up on a crazy team like Miami, NYJ etc.

You obviously aren't seeing the kinds of questions that scouts are asking players, then.

I see this a lot. Do you not care or do you not approve? It can't be both. Not caring is, by definition, an absence of opinion.

It's also worth noting, I think, that not every gay man leads a gay "lifestyle". Just as you probably wouldn't primarily describe your lifestyle as a straight lifestyle.

It can be both. I do not approve as in I think practicing homosexual behavior is a sin. But, I do not care if he is a practicing homosexual. That is his call to make. Muslims believe drinking is a sin. Jews believe eating pork is a sin. They don't approve of these things, but they don't care that I drink and eat pork. I know they think it's sinful and respect that.