2013 NFL All-Pro team: Sporting News

papazoid

only 1 Buffalo Bill made the list:

DT Kyle Williams, Buffalo Bills

A three-time Pro Bowler, Williams—not to be confused with Chiefs’ receiver Kyle Williams—had another stellar year in Buffalo. He finished the season with a career-high 10-1/2 sacks to go along with 17 quarterback hits and 39 quarterback hurries. In short, he was a terror.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-01-26/all-pro-team-2013-manning-sherman-kuechly-mccoy-quinn/slide/1

interesting that 4 Cleveland Browns made the list for Pettine's new team.

I don't understand. A number of people here say he sucks and is nowhere near as good as the hype.

All of those stats are for rushing the passer, something not usually associated with DTs instead of DEs and LBs. Obviously you know that. I do understand, however, the criticism of Kyle that he shoots gaps and flies off the ball trying to get into the backfield on virtually every play, often taking himself out of the running lanes and plays and creating huge holes for RBs to break through.

He's surely part of the problem with our inability to stop the run since he has been here.

That said, overall, and compared to most DTs, he's a very, very good player and we're lucky to have him.

All of those stats are for rushing the passer, something not usually associated with DTs instead of DEs and LBs. Obviously you know that. I do understand, however, the criticism of Kyle that he shoots gaps and flies off the ball trying to get into the backfield on virtually every play, often taking himself out of the running lanes and plays and creating huge holes for RBs to break through.

He's surely part of the problem with our inability to stop the run since he has been here.

That said, overall, and compared to most DTs, he's a very, very good player and we're lucky to have him.

I think as long as the linebackers know the lineman is penetrating the gap this is a very nice way to play the game .

When the LB does not protect that gap and the RB sees it well it looks bad. Thats not Kyles fault.

reason again that Bills need to focus on LBs in draft and FA if need be .

I think as long as the linebackers know the lineman is penetrating the gap this is a very nice way to play the game .

When the LB does not protect that gap and the RB sees it well it looks bad. Thats not Kyles fault.

reason again that Bills need to focus on LBs in draft and FA if need be .

You can't decide on every play to have a LB key on the hole created by KW shooting gaps. Most of the time when he does that it's his fault. IF the defensive call just happens to be one where the LB is filling right there, and the play is right there, then sure the LB needs to make that play. But on many plays, even ones KW beats his man into the backfield, RBs run right by him or where he was supposed to be for huge gains.

Granted, Kyle usually makes a play a game tackling ballcarriers in the backfield because he does what he does, so that can't be discounted either. But to me, he does that one time for every 3-4 that he takes himself out of the running play and the opposition gets chunks of yardage up the middle.

You can't decide on every play to have a LB key on the hole created by KW shooting gaps. Most of the time when he does that it's his fault. IF the defensive call just happens to be one where the LB is filling right there, and the play is right there, then sure the LB needs to make that play. But on many plays, even ones KW beats his man into the backfield, RBs run right by him or where he was supposed to be for huge gains.

Granted, Kyle usually makes a play a game tackling ballcarriers in the backfield because he does what he does, so that can't be discounted either. But to me, he does that one time for every 3-4 that he takes himself out of the running play and the opposition gets chunks of yardage up the middle.

Not to be snarky at all . But isnt Kyle doing what he is told ?

and then isnt it the LBs responsibility for what comes though that opening ?

Its all in how the Bills first wanted to use him as a penetrating DT to put pressure on the QB in the Tampa two defense. From what I see they are not asking him to be a run stuffing, stay on the line DT.

The real problem is that the Bills never did find the LBers they needed to fit that scheme, and they still are lacking in that area if they want to continue to have both DT's rush the passer.

Mario Williams with 13.0 sacks. Kyle Williams with 10.5 sacks. Jerry Hughes with 10.0 sacks. Marcell Dareus with 7.5 sacks. The Bills were the #2 sacking team in the NFL last year. The #1 overall team in the NFL in tackles. The #2 overall team in INTs. #10 in yards allowed. #20 in points allowed.

Yet #28 in rush yards allowed.

The Bills finished the season at 6-10 again mostly because the offense can't stay on the field, as they have far to many 3 and outs. Which wore out the defense. Despite being #2 in the entire NFL in rushing. That Bills O can't control the clock or line of scrimmage.

and then isnt it the LBs responsibility for what comes though that opening ?

Considering that he has always played the same way and done the same thing I would say no. ;) I think he freelances a lot, the way a lot of great DE sack artists take themselves out of the play a lot by going for a sack every play but their coaches don't seem to mind, or stop him from doing it, partly because he makes a lot of plays. If the Bills inside LBs fought off blocks better and beat their man more often it wouldn't be nearly as big an issue. That's one of the reasons I wanted a guy like Dansby this year to play the middle. Kiko was great but he got swallowed up a lot when guys were right on him. Sheppard before him was terrible. The list goes on.

Considering that he has always played the same way and done the same thing I would say no. ;) I think he freelances a lot, the way a lot of great DE sack artists take themselves out of the play a lot by going for a sack every play but their coaches don't seem to mind, or stop him from doing it, partly because he makes a lot of plays. If the Bills inside LBs fought off blocks better and beat their man more often it wouldn't be nearly as big an issue. That's one of the reasons I wanted a guy like Dansby this year to play the middle. Kiko was great but he got swallowed up a lot when guys were right on him. Sheppard before him was terrible. The list goes on.

Well thats a fair point about kyle. but i just am not sure a player can " freelance " on 75% of snaps.

Its scheme that keeps gap control over player intuition . But as you mentioned we did not have the players to back fill the gaps.

I also was a dansby fan. still am

Well thats a fair point about kyle. but i just am not sure a player can " freelance " on 75% of snaps.

Its scheme that keeps gap control over player intuition . But as you mentioned we did not have the players to back fill the gaps.

I also was a dansby fan. still am

Also, I think we were hurt in almost every game due to one or two HUGE gains consistently.

Kyle consistently ranks near the very top of the league for lowest YPC on running plays run at his gap assignment. Kyle doesn't cowboy, he dominates his assignments, which is why he's always in the backfield. The runs that go for big gains aren't being run at Kyle. Other teams don't run at him, they run away from him.

Kyle consistently ranks near the very top of the league for lowest YPC on running plays run at his gap assignment. Kyle doesn't cowboy, he dominates his assignments, which is why he's always in the backfield. The runs that go for big gains aren't being run at Kyle. Other teams don't run at him, they run away from him.

I don't know if that's true, especially if it's a PFF stat. But I know people who have literally reviewed every one of his defensive snaps and they have told me that over the last three years, you can count on one hand the number of times KW lost gap control. He plays with great leverage, seldom gets moved backwards, and commands so much other attention, that teams rarely even look to run in his gap assignment.

Our overriding problem was and continues to be, inconsistent play from our LBs. Especially on stretch plays against overloaded strong sides with extra OLmen or TEs.

GO BILLS!!!

Thank you. Thats what i perceived.

LB s. The last 3 years . Out of position and or trying to make a play .

I cant argue with Kelly because i am a huge Kyle fanboi and extremely biased . thanks for picking that up for me TYTT and K-9.

I do watch every game closely as i am able , but i am no football expert like some here .

Bills defense might be one LB away from being elite !

See what i mean ? I am very biased toward the defense and my glass is always half full to overflowing.

GO GO Kyle Wiiliams !