What did we get for Marshawn Lynch?

I very much disagree about 2008. He was pretty consistent all year, and 2 of this 3 really strong games came against the #7 and #8 teams overall in rushing ypa defense (SF and the Jets). He had a good season. http://www.pro-footb...ms/buf/2008.htm. The reason his carry # was down from the year before was because they gave the ball to Freddy a lot that season.

The rushing offense overall that season was pretty solid, as was the defense. What killed them was the weak passing game.

I would give him a B, maybe B+ for 2008. But you gotta admit that 2009-2011, he looked like he was going to be a bust.

Just crazy that he turned things around like he did. Maybe he just needed a change of scenery.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would give him a B, maybe B+ for 2008. But you gotta admit that 2009-2011, he looked like he was going to be a bust.

Just crazy that he turned things around like he did. Maybe he just needed a change of scenery.

i would attribute at least some of this to the bills inability to nurture and develop a good but immature player, seattle's ability to do the same and the players own maturation. anyway you look at it, it reflects poorly on the bills.

i would attribute at least some of this to the bills inability to nurture and develop a good but immature player, seattle's ability to do the same and the players own maturation. anyway you look at it, it reflects poorly on the bills.

No question.

Lynch was a 1000 yard rusher in Buffalo in 2008, and just was frustrated in what he was asked to do. In 2009 he took a back seat to Fred Jackson simply because Jackson was able to break that first tackle, and Lynch had to carry two defenders on his back to make yards.

That 2009 O line was such a joke. Demetress Bell, Geoff Hangartner, Kirk Chambers. need I say more? Then in the beginning of 2010 it went from bad to worse with the additions of Cornell Green / Mansfield Wrotto at RT. Remember Fitz literally running for his life, and the team going 0-8 to start that year.

Think of that offense, a FA RB in Fred Jackson, A 7th round pick at QB in Fitz, a 7th round pick at LT in Bell. A 7th round pick in Stevie Johnson.

The Bills just kept trying to get milk from stones on offense while constantly drafting for a defense that went nowhere. Even back then two #1's & two #2's in the defensive secondary.

No question.

Lynch was a 1000 yard rusher in Buffalo in 2008, and just was frustrated in what he was asked to do. In 2009 he took a back seat to Fred Jackson simply because Jackson was able to break that first tackle, and Lynch had to carry two defenders on his back to make yards.

That 2009 O line was such a joke. Demetress Bell, Geoff Hangartner, Kirk Chambers. need I say more? Then in the beginning of 2010 it went from bad to worse with the additions of Cornell Green / Mansfield Wrotto at RT. Remember Fitz literally running for his life, and the team going 0-8 to start that year.

Think of that offense, a FA RB in Fred Jackson, A 7th round pick at QB in Fitz, a 7th round pick at LT in Bell. A 7th round pick in Stevie Johnson.

The Bills just kept trying to get milk from stones on offense while constantly drafting for a defense that went nowhere. Even back then two #1's & two #2's in the defensive secondary.

aka: the Modrak Wheelhouse section of the draft.

Lynch was expendable at the time because it was painfully obvious that Fred Jackson was the better of the two players. Fred was a better runner, blocker, and receiver, while Lynch struggled to get over 4.0 yards per carry.

Jackson:

2007: 58 carries 300 yards 5.2 avg

2008: 130 carries 571 yards 4.4 avg

2009: 237 carries 1,062 yards 4.5 avg

2010: 222 carries 927 yards 4.2 avg

http://espn.go.com/n...95/fred-jackson

Lynch:

2007: 280 carries 1,115 yards 4.0 avg

2008: 250 carries 1,036 yards 4.1 avg

2009: 120 carries 450 yards 3.8 avg

2010: 37 carries 164 yards 4.4 avg

http://espn.go.com/n.../marshawn-lynch

Not to mention the fact that he was one infraction away from a very lengthy suspension from Goodell did not make his trade value very good.

Edited by Fingon

Don't confuse people with facts.

Well the facts are bogus in this case. Marshawn was never rookie of the year. Here is a list of Offense Rookie of the Year Winners since 2001

2001 Thomas ! Anthony Thomas Chicago Bears Running back 2002 Portis ! Clinton Portis Denver Broncos Running back 2003 Boldin ! Anquan Boldin Arizona Cardinals Wide receiver 2004 Roethlisberger ! Ben Roethlisberger Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback 2005 Williams, CadillacCadillac Williams Tampa Bay Buccaneers Running back 2006 Young ! Vince Young Tennessee Titans Quarterback 2007 Peterson ! Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings Running back 2008 Ryan ! Matt Ryan Atlanta Falcons Quarterback 2009 Harvin ! Percy Harvin Minnesota Vikings Wide receiver 2010 Bradford ! Sam Bradford St. Louis Rams Quarterback 2011 Newton ! Cam Newton Carolina Panthers Quarterback 2012 Griffin ! Robert Griffin III[5] Washington Redskins Quarterback

Depressing.

Here is a glass 1/2 full way to look at it:

The options were:

1) Lynch for a 4th/5th rounders

or

2) Lynch for nothing (i.e., we let him walk).

In 2011, there was no way he was deserving of the 4 yr/$30 m deal he later got, and so we weren't going to re-sign him (especially with two more productive RB's on our roster).

Here is a glass 1/2 full way to look at it:

The options were:

1) Lynch for a 4th/5th rounders

or

2) Lynch for nothing (i.e., we let him walk).

In 2011, there was no way he was deserving of the 4 yr/$30 m deal he later got, and so we weren't going to re-sign him (especially with two more productive RB's on our roster).

My memory is a bit foggy, but didn't we get an offer of a 3rd rounder from someone? New Orleans or something?

I agree its better to have something rather than nothing, but I also feel like we could have gotten more than what we did, or at the very least drafted better in general, heh (but that doesn't exactly happen around here).

By that account, Aaron Hernandez reflects poorly on the Pats. With this Lynch thread and the Da'Rick ones, it is all blame the team and not the player. Lynch was an idiot and he forced the Bills' hand. Rbs facing a year long suspension don't have high trade value.

My memory is a bit foggy, but didn't we get an offer of a 3rd rounder from someone? New Orleans or something?

I agree its better to have something rather than nothing, but I also feel like we could have gotten more than what we did, or at the very least drafted better in general, heh (but that doesn't exactly happen around here).

we never got an offer for a 3rd. after the trade happened, rumors swirled that more strongly new orleans and possibly green bay wouldve both offered a third but they had no idea that he was on the market. it seemed like it could be a contender trying to placate the fans and point the finger away from themselves if the trade worked out for their rival when they both needed a back too.

that said, a 3rd from two of the super bowl favorites potentially, looks like pick 28-32 in the third round. if we figured seattle (7-9 even with marshawn) was a top ten 4th round pick, and with a 5th thrown in on top of that, you might argue we could project that to be just as, or more valuable. i dont think anyone wouldve pegged seattle to beat new orleans in the playoffs at the juncture the trade went down.

By that account, Aaron Hernandez reflects poorly on the Pats. With this Lynch thread and the Da'Rick ones, it is all blame the team and not the player. Lynch was an idiot and he forced the Bills' hand. Rbs facing a year long suspension don't have high trade value.

what changes it for lynch compared to DaRick even, was the looming contract situation too.

Marshawns value couldnt be lower at the time of the trade. On the field he was at his poorest (though still a good back), physically there were questions about his back, off the field he was a mess, and was on the verge of having to get a long term contract that would likely be a good amount of money.... and despite mickey loomis saying "who knew marshawn was on the trade block," everyone knew he didnt have a future in buffalo, which devalues him even more on the market.

Edited by NoSaint

Lynch was expendable at the time because it was painfully obvious that Fred Jackson was the better of the two players. Fred was a better runner, blocker, and receiver, while Lynch struggled to get over 4.0 yards per carry.

Jackson:

2007: 58 carries 300 yards 5.2 avg

2008: 130 carries 571 yards 4.4 avg

2009: 237 carries 1,062 yards 4.5 avg

2010: 222 carries 927 yards 4.2 avg

http://espn.go.com/n...95/fred-jackson

Lynch:

2007: 280 carries 1,115 yards 4.0 avg

2008: 250 carries 1,036 yards 4.1 avg

2009: 120 carries 450 yards 3.8 avg

2010: 37 carries 164 yards 4.4 avg

http://espn.go.com/n.../marshawn-lynch

Not to mention the fact that he was one infraction away from a very lengthy suspension from Goodell did not make his trade value very good.

Well...

That's all fine and good, but if the Bills don't pick Spiller, Lynch is not nearly as expendable...The Spiller pick was the key...You don't Draft a RB #9 overall and expect him to sit... B-)

If we got an offer for a 3rd and turned it down, then the FO are idiots. I can't believe they wouldn't have jumped on that, instead waiting it out for the 4th/5th they got.

But trade value fluctuates every year-- one year it seems like a top skill player is worth a 6th rounder (e.g., Boldin), and then another year he is worth a 2nd rounder (e.g., the Jets traded a 2nd for Justin McCariens--if you can even remember that guy!).

well, no. hernandez has not and likely will not be rehabilitated by another team to all pro status. the potential is likely just not there for that. it clearly was for lynch. the bills just weren't able to harness it for whatever reason.