BREAKING: Vikings to Hire George Edwards as DC

thebandit27

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its too bad.. Edwards only had one season in Buffalo before Chan canned him. Maybe he would have turned things around. And with Chan being the offensive genius that he is.. could the Bills have made a run??

No need to reiterate how bad Wanny was.

Disagree. Posters here say Edwards is terrible. They know more about defense than Mike Zimmer.

The days of recycling the same list of vet coaches and coordinators seems long gone.

I'm not so sure about his. Bucs hired Lovie and Titans hired the Wizz.

Its too bad.. Edwards only had one season in Buffalo before Chan canned him.

"Coach" Edwards was here for 2 seasons before getting the well deserved axe.

Knocking the Edwards hiring is kind of stupid. There are so many factors that lead to the success of any coach or player, and they all have to be in place for that to happen. Presumably, Edwards interviewed well with the Vikes.

Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick weren't overwhelming successful in their first time as head coaches. Other assistants that didn't fare well in Buffalo (G Williams, Gilbride) went on to get superbowl rings. I'm sure there are others.

Did Edwards have the personnel in Buffalo he needed to have a solid defense? Was the offense productive enough to make it better for the defense? Is it possible that his experience in Buffalo and other stops has made him a better coach, or do we assume his skills haven't improved? I know I'm much better at my job with experience as a teacher?

Here's the big question you homers should ask: what's the one common thread of so many players and coaches who failed in Orchard Park but went on to success elsewhere? Ummm,,,,maybe the real problem is a hapless organization that hasn't been to the playoffs in 14 years - the Buffalo Bills.

Another example of a once failed/fired coach that is now the Hall of Fame - Marv Levy. Marv wasn't regarded as an X's and O's genius, but rather a great motivator and organizer. Maybe Edwards has those same talents.

But passing judgement in a condescending way on the Edwards hire sounds immature IMO. I wish him well when he's not facing the Bills, and hope he'll motivate his guys to beat our divisional rivals.

Then why on earth would he hire Edwards? Why would you knowingly hire a "project" as your DC?

These first time HC's make the craziest staffing decisions (over and over).

It is to laugh.....

If you're a HC with a DC background, you might not want an tenured DC with an established philosophy running your defense. You might want someone younger/less established who you can teach your philosophy to.

If you're a HC with a DC background, you might not want an tenured DC with an established philosophy running your defense. You might want someone younger/less established who you can teach your philosophy to.

They served together in Dallas, where they ran 3-4 and 4-3 (Zimmer as DB coach then DC, Edwards as LB coach). So I think it's a little more of a philosophical agreement with a colleague of 10+ years than a teaching of a system to a "younger/less established" coach. Remember, in addition to the Bills making this "mistake" of hiring Edwards as a DC, the University of Florida and now Zimmer have.

Given that this would be tilting at windmills I'll leave this be, but given the roster the Bills had at the time and the edict from on high to get to a 3-4, I can't fault the guy and haven't.

Zimmer looks like a disaster already. His press conference was a joke. He came off as Mr. tough guy. People and players respected Leslie Fraizer. It is not his fault the QB's in Minnesota suck. Zimmer is going to flame out like Gregg Williams did in Buffalo and Schiano did in Tampa.

They served together in Dallas, where they ran 3-4 and 4-3 (Zimmer as DB coach then DC, Edwards as LB coach). So I think it's a little more of a philosophical agreement with a colleague of 10+ years than a teaching of a system to a "younger/less established" coach. Remember, in addition to the Bills making this "mistake" of hiring Edwards as a DC, the University of Florida and now Zimmer have.

Given that this would be tilting at windmills I'll leave this be, but given the roster the Bills had at the time and the edict from on high to get to a 3-4, I can't fault the guy and haven't.

You forgot the Redskins.