Playoffs: 49ers at Panthers

Just Jack

Ron Rivera has to be the biggest choke artist out there. Dude has a stacked team, cushy division and can't get over the hump. Lose the powder blue uniforms for starters.

The Niners are more stacked. Rivera did a good job this year.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You bet your ass it is...what exactly has Rivera done with Kuechly, Newton, Steve Smith and a cushy division? Donuts baby.

Because they lost to one of the two teams in the conference that's better them? I think the Panthers are just getting started.

You bet your ass it is...what exactly has Rivera done with Kuechly, Newton, Steve Smith and a cushy division? Donuts baby.

"Nobody else has 3 good players so let me just name their 3 most popular players (not their 3 best mind you) to highlight my awful point ".

- Casual fan posting 101.

If you think the Panthers have a good team you're sadly mistaken. Cam Newton is a good player but his stats and his hype do not match his on the field performance. I have a love hate relationship with how I feel about him; he does so many things great that you forget to realize the little things he does horribly wrong. Things like pocket presence, ball security, emotional/mental toughness and leadership...among other things.

The Panthers OL is horrible. Cam usually overcomes this with great scrambling ability but he really is a pocket passer. The casual fan would never, ever believe that because they think he's a Madden highlight. He happens to be a pocket passer who can scramble like no one else of memory.

Their DB's are just piss poor pathetic. They have Keuchly and they have no OLB's. Even worse, they have Star Loofahmylatooey and no one else to hold their own on D. I think it comes down to their scheming and what is expected of them on D. Either way, their D is good in many aspects but poor in everything else.

The Panthers are just not a very good team. They got hot, they really lit things up and I expected them to make the Super Bowl a few weeks ago because they just looked so dang good. But, other then the Saints - who got slammed out of the playoffs - they did not play much of anyone.

L Seahawks

L @ Buffalo

W NYG

L @Arizona

W Minnesota

W StL

W @TB

W Atl

W SF

W NE

W Miami

W TB

L @NO

W NYJ

W NO

W ATL

They went 1-1 against New Orleans, beating them at home. They squeaked by SF. They got away with one after nearly giving it away against the Patriots. Sure, it was easy to buy in to the Panthers hype and I was one of those that did. Looking back on it they probably had the easiest schedule in the league. Riverea is partly to blame for their problems, but they didn't play anyone and they just are not that good.

^Don't discredit Johnson, Hardy and Davis. I agree that their secondary is poor, but that front seven is solid.

Ya that's an elite front 7.

The points about their offense are valid though. Everyone said poor Kaepernick had no weapons when Crabtree & V. Davis were injured but he still has a better supporting cast even with those guys out than Cam does normally.

"Nobody else has 3 good players so let me just name their 3 most popular players (not their 3 best mind you) to highlight my awful point ".

- Casual fan posting 101.

Awesome - I retract my point that Rivera is a choke artist based solely on this logical post. Ya know, people talk about the snarkiness of some posters, and you just proved the point. Did you want me to recite the entire roster?? (I'll wait while you lecture me on the entire roster after you research it on ESPN.com). My only point is that similar to Jim Schwartz in Detroit, Rivera has horses in the barn but doesn't know how to get over the hump. Harbaugh (in his third year) apparently does.

Awesome - I retract my point that Rivera is a choke artist based solely on this logical post. Ya know, people talk about the snarkiness of some posters, and you just proved the point. Did you want me to recite the entire roster?? (I'll wait while you lecture me on the entire roster after you research it on ESPN.com). My only point is that similar to Jim Schwartz in Detroit, Rivera has horses in the barn but doesn't know how to get over the hump. Harbaugh (in his third year) apparently does.

I agree. Rivera had these guys looking and playing like a bunch of punks. No discipline at all means no respect for the HC

^Don't discredit Johnson, Hardy and Davis. I agree that their secondary is poor, but that front seven is solid.

Ya that's an elite front 7.

The points about their offense are valid though. Everyone said poor Kaepernick had no weapons when Crabtree & V. Davis were injured but he still has a better supporting cast even with those guys out than Cam does normally.

Their front 7 did nothing today against the Niners. They were abused on both sides of the ball at the LOS. The Panthers front 7 D is good and going, but no where near what they need to be in order to compete in the playoffs and stop teams that have balanced attacks like we are seeing. New England, Denver or Seattle would destroy their D in the air then on the ground.

Their front 7 did nothing today against the Niners. They were abused on both sides of the ball at the LOS. The Panthers front 7 D is good and going, but no where near what they need to be in order to compete in the playoffs and stop teams that have balanced attacks like we are seeing. New England, Denver or Seattle would destroy their D in the air then on the ground.

Its one game and the refs gave SF 10 pts.

Its one game and the refs gave SF 10 pts.

Panthers apologist? They were like 0/3 in the red zone. They gave up crucial long drives that they had no business letting happen - not covering players, getting broken apart schematically. They were flat out and totally out-coached and out-played.

In addition to the above, they were also given a second chance on that crucial drive where Cam spun into a helmet-to-helmet contact and Cam threw an INT instead of capitalizing.

Exactly. Reading Panthers fan boards and comments right now, as well as running in to a few around town after this game. It's hilariously pathetic. They come out of the wood work like rats throughout the season, as it goes on. They talk a big game and then find excuses to blame the loss on. Normally, this is just how it goes. This year it will be something. UNC is lousy and now out of the top 25. Duke is not as good as they have been in the past. The Hurricanes and Bobcats are not doing anything to be excited about.

The fair weather sports fan in Carolina is reeling. It's funny. The majority of people here do not even like the team, a mixture of Redskin, Cowboy or Steeler fans they're just as miserable. Panthers fans want to point the finger at the officials, point to the Cam Newton, Steve Smith, the coaches, and Florence. They just do not know where to start.

Panthers apologist? They were like 0/3 in the red zone. They gave up crucial long drives that they had no business letting happen - not covering players, getting broken apart schematically. They were flat out and totally out-coached and out-played.

Shift goalposts much? You said their Front 7 is "nowhere near good enough" which is obviously ridiculous. Yes they were outplayed and maybe outcoached in the 2nd half - Harbaugh while being insufferable, is maybe the best coach in the league. That is not mutually exclusive with the refs giving SF every call and multiple scores in the 1st half.

In addition to the above, they were also given a second chance on that crucial drive where Cam spun into a helmet-to-helmet contact and Cam threw an INT instead of capitalizing.

Neither of these teams was going to beat the other down 13 with half a quarter left. We're all aware of the one call that went against SF because Harbaugh of course had to react like he lost his first born son.

Why weren't the Panthers awarded a new set of downs when Brooks was called for encroachment at the 1 yard line?

1. 3-1-SF 1 (5:49) PENALTY on SF-55-A.Brooks, Encroachment, 0 yards, enforced at SF 1 - No Play.
  2. 3-1-SF 1 (4:47) 35-M.Tolbert right guard to SF 2 for -1 yards (53-N.Bowman). Geoff Hangartner reports as eligible

Is this the right call? You can guess the snap count, go off-sides, gamble and go unpunished?

Shift goalposts much? You said their Front 7 is "nowhere near good enough" which is obviously ridiculous. Yes they were outplayed and maybe outcoached in the 2nd half - Harbaugh while being insufferable, is maybe the best coach in the league. That is not mutually exclusive with the refs giving SF every call and multiple scores in the 1st half.

No, I am not. Today, and at many points this season their DL has underperformed. Latoweeluwee has done well, a shining light on a unit that routinely gives up yardage on crucial downs at/and during crucial times. Their DL is good, their DL is effective. But, just like ours they can be exposed for their flaws which are simple. We cannot stop the run because we are a penetrating rushing DL. The Panthers DL gets pressure and movement but they do not turn it in to sustained success.

The Panthers had no business winning today and they proved that. They showed today that they would probably lose most match-ups in a playoff setting.

On a similar note, it is interesting how similar our teams are; They draft Newton we draft Dareus. They draft Keuchly, we draft Gilmore. They draft Lutowheel and we draft EJ (and Kiko). We seemed to have fared about the same in the draft. Kiko and EJ balance out Newton. Luigilatooli balances out Dareus. Keuchly and Gilmore match out, as well.

And yes, I realize Keuchly is a Pro Bowler, but the guy has some flaws in his game just like Gilmore.

Why weren't the Panthers awarded a new set of downs when Brooks was called for encroachment at the 1 yard line?

1. 3-1-SF 1 (5:49) PENALTY on SF-55-A.Brooks, Encroachment, 0 yards, enforced at SF 1 - No Play.

2. 3-1-SF 1 (4:47) 35-M.Tolbert right guard to SF 2 for -1 yards (53-N.Bowman). Geoff Hangartner reports as eligible

Is this the right call? You can guess the snap count, go off-sides, gamble and go unpunished?

Yes it's the right call. Encroachment. If there would have been a more serious contact against Newton (who flopped) it could have been a personal foul. I was waiting for a PF call to offset the calls against...but it didn't happen.

That call doesn't seem right. I know there isn't a yard to advance, but it should be a new set of downs to the offense.

I think if you end up having it changed to that you'd see QB's doing hard counts constantly on 4th down to try to draw the opposition offsides then take a time out and kick the field goal.

It sounds good but I don't think it'd work as nicely as we think it would.