Bills need to poop or get off the pot.

Why not? Not sure, but it didn't. As for accuracy and completing longer passes, I'd say Wilson is better, but the receivers have a lot to do with that. Just look at Brady's stats this year compared to the previous 6 years.

Carroll was a washout with the Jets and Pats as a HC and wasn't looking too great his first 2 years. He took a gamble on Wilson and it paid off. So I guess the moral would be, give Dougy another 2 years.

It's funny isn't it? He wants to run off our guys after 1 year, yet wants a HC who was fired previously.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this I agree.

Seeing so many designed QB runs from Alex Smith, Andrew Luck and even Rodgers makes me think that the Bills really need to work this into their game.

It's my hope that the reason that they didn't had more to do with the injury than with philosophy.

While it would be beneficial to have this aspect of play, I suspect this years EJ injuries will make the coaching staff gun shy - thus they will try to force him into the pocket passer role. Kaepernick really showed in the Packers game how valuable a QB that can run when needed can be.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure...trading away our immediate future with 2013 draft picks to go after Johnny Football...sounds brilliant! Johnny can demand in his rookie contract the Bills play all our home games up in Toronto so he can chill with his homie, rap star Drake...omg...this idea screams out to me as a DUMB idea...let's not sacrifice our immediate future on the questionable chance that Mr. Johnny Football will be anything more than a way to sell tickets...haven't the Bills done that enough in the last few years with the signing of TO and other has beens...stay with Marrone, Whaley and the positive direction we are going...while the Bills won the same amount of games this year as in 2012, they are much better off and have a bright future without making desperate moves..this team needs a great draft, a healthy EJ and some good luck for once and the wins and playoffs will come

Better question is where would EJ go in his draft year if not for the Bills?

Jets would have taken him in the second, I believe.

I think he'd have been gone by the end of the first.

What team after us at pick 16 would take a QB? Those teams have their franchise guys for the most part.

Jets would have taken him in the second, I believe.

What team after us at pick 16 would take a QB? Those teams have their franchise guys for the most part.

Vikings, Texans, Rams? Broncos?? Peyton won't play forever. I just said what I thought, not that I guaranteed it. I do agree he'd have been gone by Jets in the second, possibly the Jags before them.

Vikings, Texans, Rams? Broncos?? Peyton won't play forever. I just said what I thought, not that I guaranteed it. I do agree he'd have been gone by Jets in the second, possibly the Jags before them.

I understand you didn't guarantee it, I was just asking why you thought any teams with 17-32 would take a first round QB.

I understand you didn't guarantee it, I was just asking why you thought any teams with 17-32 would take a first round QB.

They weren't all playoff finishers... besides, one might have said the same of GB when they drafted Rodgers. If any of those teams had first round value on EJ (which, I guess, is the debate), it's possible they could have pulled the trigger. Anyway, moot points and hypotheticals.

My understanding is that Phili had him graded as a 2nd rounder (he had been in and worked out twice for them pre-draft). I don't think he makes it past their second round pick - what was that 35? 36? I think the Bills probably could have traded back a few more spots in round 1 (Buddy said they had offers to do so but were nervous about someone else taking him) but I honestly do not think EJ Manuel would still have been there by 41. But again, that's all ifs, buts and maybes.

My understanding is that Phili had him graded as a 2nd rounder (he had been in and worked out twice for them pre-draft). I don't think he makes it past their second round pick - what was that 35? 36? I think the Bills probably could have traded back a few more spots in round 1 (Buddy said they had offers to do so but were nervous about someone else taking him) but I honestly do not think EJ Manuel would still have been there by 41. But again, that's all ifs, buts and maybes.

If I'm not mistaken Buddy had said that they had targeted QBs in previous drafts but they kept getting taken off the board higher than the grades they had them and that they'd have to adjust their strategy accordingly. I'm guessing that they thought if they tried the waiting game again they'd lose out of a guy they believed could be a franchise QB so they traded back when they could then pulled the trigger. I'm not sure why anybody has an issue with it. If he's the guy you believe in go get him and worry about people complaining you drafted him 15 slots too high later. If he pans out nobody is going to remember it and if he doesn't at least you pulled the trigger on a guy you liked.

They're really damned if they do damned if they don't. If Manuel panned out for another team that drafted him at the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd and the Bills didn't draft him we'd be seeing posts for years about how they failed, yet again, to pull the trigger on a QB (like we see now with Wilson and Kaepernick.) I'm all for busting their chops on those misses but I'm not going to rip them when they actually went out and got a guy. Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesn't, but that's the case with all players - at least they took a shot.

Years? What are years to Buffalo? We take decades to rebuilt and fail. Roll the dice.

Do NOT roll the dice. Gamblers are people who lose to the house.

Don't roll the dice. Work the plan.

The plan will absolutely not include trading away that many picks. If he's there at #9 and they think he's got a good chance to be a franchise guy, fine, draft him. Don't give away picks for him. He's not that sure of a thing.

If I'm not mistaken Buddy had said that they had targeted QBs in previous drafts but they kept getting taken off the board higher than the grades they had them and that they'd have to adjust their strategy accordingly. I'm guessing that they thought if they tried the waiting game again they'd lose out of a guy they believed could be a franchise QB so they traded back when they could then pulled the trigger. I'm not sure why anybody has an issue with it. If he's the guy you believe in go get him and worry about people complaining you drafted him 15 slots too high later. If he pans out nobody is going to remember it and if he doesn't at least you pulled the trigger on a guy you liked.

"At least you pulled the trigger on a guy you liked."

"At least they took a shot."

These aren't things you hear winners say. Winning isn't about trying. It's about making decisions that maximize your chances of success. Anyone can "take a shot."

Do NOT roll the dice. Gamblers are people who lose to the house.

Don't roll the dice. Work the plan.

The plan will absolutely not include trading away that many picks. If he's there at #9 and they think he's got a good chance to be a franchise guy, fine, draft him. Don't give away picks for him. He's not that sure of a thing.

"At least you pulled the trigger on a guy you liked."

"At least they took a shot."

These aren't things you hear winners say. Winning isn't about trying. It's about making decisions that maximize your chances of success. Anyone can "take a shot."

Without taking a shot there's no way you land a guy. The reason "winners" don't say that is because they hit on the QB. If the Bills hit on Manuel they won't say that either. We just don't know right now. My point was that I'm not going to crucify them for drafting a guy a few spots earlier than people projected because at least they finally pulled the trigger on a QB instead of watching other teams land guys a few spots before they had them pegged.

• 2 months later...

I haven't read every post on here but my biggest pet peeve is posters who are certain as to whether or not Manziel (or any prospect for that matter) will be a good pro. Nobody knows. If there is one prospect that I would wager is a shoe-in to be a good pro, it's Jake Matthews. That being said, tackles don't win championships. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm with the OP. Sure would be exciting.

Case and point. This poster is being condescending about the idea but what if Manziel is a first team all-pro three years from now? Then your (proper use of "your") post will look stupid. Plain and Simple. Why can't we admit that we don't know if he's going to be good?