Levitre

No way. This board of crowd sourced knowledge is collectively much greater than any info the front office has. They are fools for not polling us experts before making decisions.

I assume you're being sarcastic, and my apologies if I am wrong, but there's always some clever guy who points out that the front office is made up of professionals and we're not so we should all shut up and defer to authority. The problem with that is, if you haven't noticed, all the brilliant "professionals" have done a piss poor job of fielding a decent team for the better part of a decade and many of the posters you mockingly refer to as "experts" have been right more often than the supposed experts you look up to like you're sick of wearing pants.

I don't claim to be one of these posters, but it's football. Any one of us can get all 22, watch what's going on, and make assessments of what's going on in front of us. I don't always claim to know more than the deified losers the Bills have paraded through the FO for the last several years, but sometimes the mistakes are glaring and perhpas the "experts" are too close to it to see what's plainly obvious to everyone else.

Edited by Rob's House

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you're being sarcastic, and my apologies if I am wrong, but there's always some clever guy who points out that the front office is made up of professionals and we're not so we should all shut up and defer to authority. The problem with that is, if you haven't noticed, all the brilliant "professionals" have done a piss poor job of fielding a decent team for the better part of a decade and many of the posters you mockingly refer to as "experts" have been right more often than the supposed experts you look up to like you're sick of wearing pants.

I don't claim to be one of these posters, but it's football. Any one of us can get all 22, watch what's going on, and make assessments of what's going on in front of us. I don't always claim to know more than the deified losers the Bills have paraded through the FO for the last several years, but sometimes the mistakes are glaring and perhpas the "experts" are too close to it to see what's plainly obvious to everyone else.

The FO has been bad for quite some time, but I feel we do have to give Whaley some time to figure this one out and put his stamp on the team. Even though he was here under Nix, he wasn't calling shots. Now he is.

Polian didn't figure it all out in year one; he built it up. And he SERIOUSLY lucked into a situation where his new QB was ready and willing and had three years of seasoning against pro-level opposition.

I really hope they got it right with EJ and that the best is yet to come. They definitely need to address what went wrong at the guard position, though.

First off, I never said decent, I said he was good not great.

Secondly, Derrick Dockery earned a $7M/year deal; does that mean he was great?

Ask Tennessee if they're happy with their $8M/year investment. Their running game hasn't improved much if at all.

Lastly, I never said he wouldn't get the deal you suggested; I merely said that it would be crazy to give it to him. I stand by that.

EDIT: sorry one more thing--advanced stats from PFF shoul hardly be considered facts...I agree with K-9 that Glenn and Wood were (and remain still) better OLmen.

You may conveniently dismiss PFF's data, but the fact remains that when we ran the ball behind Levitre, we were as or more successful than anyone in the league over the last two years he was here, and that still doesn't take away the fact that relatively speaking he was excellent in pass protection and that still doesn't change the fact that he never missed a game with the Bills.

Those three undeniable facts, from my perspective and I'm pretty sure there are quite a few others that agree made him one of the better guards in the league.

In regards to who is a better lineman, I still stand by point that while Levitre was here, he was our best O-Lineman.

Edited by Magox

Its precisely the point, and everyone knows it!

Nevertheless, there was a majority of posters in this forum that lamented the loss of Levitre and even even more were upset that no "adequate" replacement was obtained in the draft or free agency. So many fans saw that there were going to be problems on that line this season, and they were correct. Most fans here realized that you don't let the best player in an area leave and then hope some backup scrubs can handle his job. There is a decent amount of football intelligent Bills fans in this forum.

The difference between the Bills FO and fans? The fans want to win, and this FO simply wants to make the team as profitable as possible, so the next owner finds this team desirous. .

Apparently you missed the point, so you wanted to sign Levitre. Great. IMO, Levitre was not the best OL of the team. Whats your plan for the future to retain Wood and Glenn and not have $50 million plus invested in your OL in the future? What about the rest of the team? Tying up a load of money into the Bills OL.

The Bills thought it wise to use that money else where, they had a plan, it didn't work. They'll try to fix it this year.

The FO has been bad for quite some time, but I feel we do have to give Whaley some time to figure this one out and put his stamp on the team. Even though he was here under Nix, he wasn't calling shots. Now he is.

Polian didn't figure it all out in year one; he built it up. And he SERIOUSLY lucked into a situation where his new QB was ready and willing and had three years of seasoning against pro-level opposition.

I really hope they got it right with EJ and that the best is yet to come. They definitely need to address what went wrong at the guard position, though.

I'm not busting on Whaley, or even Buddy. It just always irks me when someone uses a "defer to authority" argument. I mean, if we're discussing the inner workings of the human ass hole and there's a proctologist in the group I'll naturally defer to him. But if he tells me that if I shove food up my ass I'll **** out my mouth I'm going to take issue with that. (South Park reference for those not in the know). Knee benders would take him at his word because after all, he's a doctor.

Not only that, but it's also basically a declaration that everyone should shut up and stop questioning anything the FO does because someone hired them to work for their NFL team so we all better listen to them. Well where's the fun in that?

You may conveniently dismiss PFF's data, but the fact remains that when we ran the ball behind Levitre, we were as or more successful than anyone in the league over the last two years he was here, and that still doesn't take away the fact that relatively speaking he was excellent in pass protection and that still doesn't change the fact that he never missed a game with the Bills.

Those three undeniable facts, from my perspective and I'm pretty sure there are quite a few others that agree made him one of the better guards in the league.

In regards to who is a better lineman, I still stand by point that while Levitre was here, he was our best O-Lineman.

Must be why Tennessee averaged fewer YPC than Buffalo this year despite Levitre's undeniably great presence.

No offense Magox; you're a good poster. I'm just saying that it's pretty easy to look good playing between Wood and Glenn.

Apparently you missed the point, so you wanted to sign Levitre. Great. IMO, Levitre was not the best OL of the team. Whats your plan for the future to retain Wood and Glenn and not have $50 million plus invested in your OL in the future? What about the rest of the team? Tying up a load of money into the Bills OL.

The Bills thought it wise to use that money else where, they had a plan, it didn't work. They'll try to fix it this year.

I didn't miss any point. My question to you, did you actually read thru this thread or just start at the back end and want to add your 2 cents? Go back and read what I posted in this thread before you make assumptions.

The bolded is the same type of casual cavalier attitude that flowed so heavy from the Chan Gailey apologists in his first year. Gailey never did fix the QB situation, and he never did fix the defensive coordinator situation. 16-32 it took three years to determine Gailey was a bad HC when it was obviously evident he stunk his first year at 4-10.

Now aside from Doug Whaley who can bring in the proper talent. Exactly what makes you think Marrone will acknowledge he even has a problem at OG, or anywhere else on that line?

Must be why Tennessee averaged fewer YPC than Buffalo this year despite Levitre's undeniably great presence.

No offense Magox; you're a good poster. I'm just saying that it's pretty easy to look good playing between Wood and Glenn.

PFF is full of crap. How can anyone tout how well we ran the ball "behind Levitre" last year, when PFF had him rated the 39th best run blocking G in the league?

GO BILLS!!!

Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to back up that statement?

. Andy Levitre - to TEN: 6-year, $46.8m

2012 Grade: +17.3

2012 Snaps: 1,039

Summary: Heading into just his fifth season in the league, Levitre should be in line to become the highest paid interior lineman in this free agent class. He’s improved greatly since being drafted in the second round in 2009 and the Buffalo Bills will have a major hole to fill if they are unwilling to pay him.

He’s certainly benefitted from playing in Buffalo’s system that relies on quick, short passes, but Levitre was our top pass protector among guards grading at +15.7 with a league-best PBE of 98.5. If there’s a complaint, he can improve his -0.7 run blocking that ranked 39th at the position. However, his ability to prevent interior pressure will make him a hot commodity on the open market.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/16/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-offensive-guards-and-centers/

GO BILLS!!!

[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

https://www.profootb...ds-and-centers/

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for the link.

While I don't think PFF is full of crap for their listing him as the 39th best run blocking OG in 2012 with a grade of (-0.7) in the run blocking, and with a final grade of (+17.3) because of his pass better protection. Its just the way they grade. After all there are 64 starting OG's in the NFL. He also had the league best PBE! "Pass Blocking efficiency". "but Levitre was our top pass protector among guards grading at +15.7 with a league-best PBE of 98.5."

Look at the way PFF graded him,and then look at the money he got from Tennessee.I'd have to say they did a pretty accurate assessment of the situation.

"Summary: Heading into just his fifth season in the league, Levitre should be in line to become the highest paid interior lineman in this free agent class. He’s improved greatly since being drafted in the second round in 2009 and the Buffalo Bills will have a major hole to fill if they are unwilling to pay him."

Edited by FeartheLosing

The 2012 overall grade for that Buffalo Bills O line was ranked 13th of 32.

"13. Buffalo Bills (4)

PB (pass blocking) – 5th, RB(run blocking) – 21st, PEN – 26th

Stud: Although the star of the unit is Andy Levitre (+17.2), we can’t be the only ones that would like to see him do a little bit more in the run game.

Dud: The only player on the line to get a significant negative grade, Erik Pears (-7.3) ended his season on injured reserve watching Chris Hairston make a pretty convincing claim to his starting spot.

Summary: The line got more praise than they deserved for the ridiculousness of C.J. Spiller and his ability to make a lot out of very little. They did, however, hold up well in pass protection, providing one less excuse for the play of Ryan Fitzpatrick."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/3/

That (+17.2) grade is better then the grade Cordy Glenn got at the end of this year!

Thanks for the link.

While I don't think PFF is full of crap for their listing him as the 39th best run blocking OG in 2012 with a grade of (-0.7) in the run blocking, and with a final grade of (+17.3) because of his pass better protection. Its just the way they grade. After all there are 64 OG's in the NFL. He also had the league best PBE! "Pass Blocking efficiency". "but Levitre was our top pass protector among guards grading at +15.7 with a league-best PBE of 98.5."

Look at the way PFF graded him,and then look at the money he got from Tennessee.I'd have to say they did a pretty accurate assessment of the situation.

"Summary: Heading into just his fifth season in the league, Levitre should be in line to become the highest paid interior lineman in this free agent class. He’s improved greatly since being drafted in the second round in 2009 and the Buffalo Bills will have a major hole to fill if they are unwilling to pay him."

And it was pass blocking in particular where the Bills needed him. See the first Jets game where they practically tried to give the game to Buffalo.......but 8 sacks that day just sunk Manuel and Colin Brown was the reason for most of the pressure.

It's no secret at barely 300 pounds Levitre wasn't going to dominate as a run blocker. But he was also versatile enough as a pass blocker that he can play LT if needed. Which he did a very fine job of at times in Buffalo.

As much as people talk down his value to the team.......if they end up spending a second rounder on a guard it was an enormous failure to have let him go. Another wasted year...burned pick....and another re-start at the position just to get back what they lost. And good luck finding a guard that versatile after round 2.

Since this thread is about Andy Levitre, and since so many are determined to equate the Titans bad play, or more specifically Chris Johnson's bad play with LG Andy Levitre. Ole Andy was never graded as that great a run blocker to begin with. It was his superior pass blocking that got him the top PBE grade and top money.

While the Bills O line was ranked 26th out of 32 in the first quarter of the season mostly because of the bad play of their LB Colin Brown.

The Titan meanwhile were ranked 20th,

"20. Tennessee Titans: -6.5

Stud: He wasn’t great last week, but Michael Roos (+7.4) was playing at an All-Pro level through the first quarter of the season.

Dud: It’s understandable to move on from a guy because he doesn't fit your scheme, but you have to question the wisdom of replacing your starting center with a marginal talent like Robert Turner (-10.6).

Summary: A lot of the talk before the year was about their new guards. Well, they haven’t quite delivered have they? Andy Levitre has earned a positive grade but has been far from dominant, while Chance Warmack has been found out in pass protection." https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/09/ranking-the-2013-offensive-lines-first-quarter/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/20/ranking-the-2013-offensive-lines-second-quarter/3/

The Titans improved from a grade of 20th to 16th in the second quarter of the season.

"16. Tennessee Titans: -4.5 (20)

Stud: With just two negatively graded games all year Michael Roos (+16.5) is a tackle you can depend on.

Dud: Center Robert Turner (-13.1) was far from effective before his season ended.

Summary: A good but not great line which is disappointing given the offseason investment in it. Unfortunately, Andy Levitre has only recently hit top form while Chance Warmack has been something of a liability in pass protection. Still, baby steps.

Tennessee Titans 4th QTR

Stock Down: Brian Schwenke (-7.4, Q4 2013; +0.3, Q3 2013)

Pass protection was a consistent problem for Schwenke when he took over the starting role in the middle of the Tennessee line but when he got that sorted over the final two games of the season his solid run blocking disappeared. He surrendered 23 pressures for the lowestPass Blocking Efficiency (94.3) of any center in the league this season but when he progressed in the final two games of the season surrendering just two pressures (1 Ht, 1 Hu) he regressed as a run blocker with his worst two games of the season (-1.3 at Jacksonville,-4.4 vs Houston).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/02/stock-report-afc-fourth-quarter/

Since this thread is about Andy Levitre, and since so many are determined to equate the Titans bad play, or more specifically Chris Johnson's bad play with LG Andy Levitre. Ole Andy was never graded as that great a run blocker to begin with. It was his superior pass blocking that got him the top PBE grade and top money.

While the Bills O line was ranked 26th out of 32 in the first quarter of the season mostly because of the bad play of their LB Colin Brown.

The Titan meanwhile were ranked 20th,

"20. Tennessee Titans: -6.5

Stud: He wasn’t great last week, but Michael Roos (+7.4) was playing at an All-Pro level through the first quarter of the season.

Dud: It’s understandable to move on from a guy because he doesn't fit your scheme, but you have to question the wisdom of replacing your starting center with a marginal talent like Robert Turner (-10.6).

Summary: A lot of the talk before the year was about their new guards. Well, they haven’t quite delivered have they? Andy Levitre has earned a positive grade but has been far from dominant, while Chance Warmack has been found out in pass protection." https://www.profootb...-first-quarter/

https://www.profootb...cond-quarter/3/

The Titans improved from a grade of 20th to 16th in the second quarter of the season.

"16. Tennessee Titans: -4.5 (20)

Stud: With just two negatively graded games all year Michael Roos (+16.5) is a tackle you can depend on.

Dud: Center Robert Turner (-13.1) was far from effective before his season ended.

Summary: A good but not great line which is disappointing given the offseason investment in it. Unfortunately, Andy Levitre has only recently hit top form while Chance Warmack has been something of a liability in pass protection. Still, baby steps.

Tennessee Titans 4th QTR

Stock Down: Brian Schwenke (-7.4, Q4 2013; +0.3, Q3 2013)

Pass protection was a consistent problem for Schwenke when he took over the starting role in the middle of the Tennessee line but when he got that sorted over the final two games of the season his solid run blocking disappeared. He surrendered 23 pressures for the lowestPass Blocking Efficiency (94.3) of any center in the league this season but when he progressed in the final two games of the season surrendering just two pressures (1 Ht, 1 Hu) he regressed as a run blocker with his worst two games of the season (-1.3 at Jacksonville,-4.4 vs Houston).

https://www.profootb...fourth-quarter/

It's long been understood that in the short term free agent departures usually hurt that team more than they help the team that is signing that player. It can take a good part of a season for a player to get back to his normal level of play in a new system. I recall when Jason Peters went to Philadelphia and his first season was up and down. After that he's pretty much played at an All Pro level. I would expect Levitre to grade higher next season in TN.

Mario Williams is another prime example of a player who took time to settle in to his new surroundings. Houston scoffed at paying him......his replacements failed to repeat their short term success in his absence in 2011.....and their defense finshed the season toothless and in need of protection for JJ Watt. They may actually spend the top pick on the draft this year on Mario's replacement.

For whatever reason the Buffalo Bills have a recent storied 20 year history of thinking they can get by with mediocre, average, and sub par players on the O line.

Since 1994 the Bills have drafted 172 players, and out of all those draft picks only 5 O linemen have been drafted in the first two rounds. Three of those have been recent in the last 5 years, Glenn, Wood, Levitre and the latter is already with another team.

I can only surmise that the one singular common denominator over the last 20 years is the man at the top of the ladder. Yet I don't understand this change in the franchise thinking because in the previous 20 year history they had great O lines for the AFL championship teams. The Electric Co for OJ, and the Kelly years had some top talent on the line.

The drafting of Mike Williams has scarred them for a decade.

The Byrd/Levitre failure was not resigning these guys early. They earned new contracts. If you resign them early you get them at a discount. Whaley did not repeat that mistake with Wood. They had the money even after they paid Anderson, Mario, and Fred. They could have signed Byrd or Levitre during camp before the season started. Assuming they wanted to sign. We have seen nothing to suggest any contract offers were made by the Bills. Who knows maybe they tried and Levitre and Byrd said no.

Again, keeping Levitre, imo, would have won us at least one more football game. The problem is that there is no way to prove this. Instead we went with a rookie qb who was exposed by the hole left by AL's departure.

Also, now this gaping hole must be repaired. People think that it is simple to replace guards. Bill Parcells disagrees. I heard him say once how he can spot plenty of receivers before a draft, but only a few solid guards. It might take a second round pick to replace Levitre. I would rather be able to use it on a qb (McCarron, Murray, etc).

Jmo.

1) We had the same record as we did the year before with Levitre. The titans won 1 more game despite signing Levitre and drafting a G top 10. As I said, Gs don't win or lose you football games.

2) Parcells is a HOFer but this is where we differ quite a bit. Parcells' philosophy is outdated in today's NFL. Now, Jairus Bryd is more important to a team's success than a guard like Levitre (especially when one is a pro bowler).

3) I hate the idea of using a 2nd on a QB. McCarron screams backup at best and I like Murray more, but not before the 3rd. This is the time to fill in holes and not a backupQB.

That guy has been beating the Levitre sucks because CJ2K sucks drum all season. NVM the fact that the Titans have a rookie at center or that every other player on that Titan line grades worse then Andy. CB is in his very own bubble.

Apparently you missed this post....

:doh:

Hope you are right Coach Tuesday, as we fans can only hope someone at OBD (Whaley) noticed that you can't get by with Buddy Nix's philosophy that guards are a dime a dozen.

What price do we fans put on winning, its priceless isn't it. Most all of us would have used up all the cap space to ensure we did all we could to win games.

I'd say most fans would have paid Levitre what he wanted, or at least a top free agent OG, and the result would have been a better line. With better continuity, better protections for all those rookie QB's, a better running game that could actually make a 3rd and short when needed or control the clock.

My take is the Bills would have won more then one game, more like three. That first Patriots game to play keep away from Brady from the 3rd quarter leading 21-17 . The Falcons game to run the ball to control the clock in the 4th quarter. The Chiefs game, after running 79 yards to the Chiefs one yard line. Then at first and goal they actually punch the ball in. 9-7 and the Bills are in the playoffs.

Should the Bills use that 2nd round pick on an OG, and not another QB. Then I can see EJ gaining an advantage to develop properly.

On another note, with better special teams play this season I could see this team winning another two games. Marrone wants to keep Danny Crossman. I'm losing faith in Marrone for many of his judgement's.

If the Bills signed a G for $8 million and drafted a G top 10 and their main rb's ypc was 3.9, a drop from 4.5, you'd be happy with that? Stupid me for thinking that guards might play a factor in the drop. Apparently, guard play has no effect on a rb.

It's hilarious that I get accused of being a homer, yet the Levitre fan club are being giant ones. Levitre is a lot closer to Dockery than he is Mike Iupati. Do you honestly think a Seahawks or Broncos' message board would consistently bemoaning the loss of a G who has yet to be on the bubble of a pro bowl?

I blame the Bills for this. 14 years of losing makes fans go crazy. John Davis was an important player but those Bills teams won't be crying about losing freakin' John Davis. Hopefully we reach the point where we are upset about losing real pro bowl talent. Levitre is a good G but come on now.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

The drafting of Mike Williams has scarred them for a decade.

The Byrd/Levitre failure was not resigning these guys early. They earned new contracts. If you resign them early you get them at a discount. Whaley did not repeat that mistake with Wood. They had the money even after they paid Anderson, Mario, and Fred. They could have signed Byrd or Levitre during camp before the season started. Assuming they wanted to sign. We have seen nothing to suggest any contract offers were made by the Bills. Who knows maybe they tried and Levitre and Byrd said no.

I agree In regards to Mike D Williams. yea, it appears they never got over the fact that he was a dud for being drafted that early. yet he still moved to RT and played for 4 years. This was the Buffalo Bills "JaMarcus Russell" in that they failed to identify the heart and desire to be great in a player, and it must have burned someone for quite a long time.

As for the Levitre debacle I put that squarely on the shoulders of the backwater bandit, and his moronic philosophy that guards are a dime a dozen. Knowing what a stooge Nix was I also put the failure to also get Byrd resigned asap.

This team just doesn't put a premium on certain positions O line, S, and would rather keep drafting RB's, CB's D linemen early in the draft over and over, year after year.

I agree In regards to Mike D Williams. yea, it appears they never got over the fact that he was a dud for being drafted that early. yet he still moved to RT and played for 4 years. This was the Buffalo Bills "JaMarcus Russell" in that they failed to identify the heart and desire to be great in a player, and it must have burned someone for quite a long time.

As for the Levitre debacle I put that squarely on the shoulders of the backwater bandit, and his moronic philosophy that guards are a dime a dozen. Knowing what a stooge Nix was I also put the failure to also get Byrd resigned asap.

This team just doesn't put a premium on certain positions O line, S, and would rather keep drafting RB's, CB's D linemen early in the draft over and over, year after year.

Guard isn't a premium position. QB, LT, DE, C are. The Bills just drafted a QB in the 1st, drafted a very good young LT in the 2nd, Signed a pro bowl DE, and locked up a young good C. This isn't Madden. And if you ask any good GM which position he would not invest top money into, G would be close to the bottom.

1) We had the same record as we did the year before with Levitre. The titans won 1 more game despite signing Levitre and drafting a G top 10. As I said, Gs don't win or lose you football games.

2) Parcells is a HOFer but this is where we differ quite a bit. Parcells' philosophy is outdated in today's NFL. Now, Jairus Bryd is more important to a team's success than a guard like Levitre (especially when one is a pro bowler).

3) I hate the idea of using a 2nd on a QB. McCarron screams backup at best and I like Murray more, but not before the 3rd. This is the time to fill in holes and not a backupQB.

If the Bills signed a G for $8 million and drafted a G top 10 and their main rb's ypc was 3.9, a drop from 4.5, you'd be happy with that? Stupid me for thinking that guards might play a factor in the drop. Apparently, guard play has no effect on a rb.

Did you read my others posts about how Levitre was never graded as a top run blocker, and got his high grade as the very best pass blocker in the league. That PBE grade is what got him big money.

Aside from that, are you going to seriously ignore that Levitre graded in the green all this season. While he also graded better then the rookie RG Chance Warmack drafted with the 10th pick in last years draft. He also graded better then 3 of the 5 players on that line despite being somewhat injured all year. The biggest reason that line was bad was the very poor play of the center "Dud: Center Robert Turner (-13.1) was far from effective before his season ended."

Then, Chris Johnson has never been the same since he got paid the big bucks after his holdout for his 2006 yard season. But then look at the rushing attempts in 2009 vs the other years. 358 rushes divided by 16 games equals 22.3 rushes per game. It has been said that RB's can't get into a rhythm until they get about 20 carries a game. 279 divided by 16 equals 17.4 rushes per game.

Then in (2009 Johnson had 358 rushes for 2006 yards.a 5.6 YPC avg).- (2010, 316 rushes for 1364 yards. a 4.3 YPC avg).- (2011, 262 rushes for 1047 yards. a 4.0 YPC avg) (2012, 276 rushes for 1243. a 4.5 YPC avg) (2013, 279 rushes for 1077 yards. a 3.9 YPC avg)

Where exactly is the huge disparity for Levitre being brought in?