LOST reminder

stevestojan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two episodes??? TWO FRICKIN EPISODES???? That's IT??? How long until more new ones?

211860[/snapback]

Damn...

Anyway, notice they didn't show Claire's stomach? ...

And another question..

Polar bears - they have TONS of fat and meat.. .why not track the bastard? food!

Damn...

And another question..

Polar bears - they have TONS of fat and meat.. .why not track the bastard? food!

211863[/snapback]

Incredible episode. I had low expectations for this one but it may be my favorite. They packed a helluva emotional punch into the 45 minutes of so that they had to work with.

Lost isn't just the best show on TV right now - it's better than almost every movie I've ever seen.

EDIT: They also proved how great the show can be if they don't focus on Jack and Kate all the time.

Damn...

And another question..

211863[/snapback]

Saw enough of a profile to notice that the baby is out.

Now, WTF with a repeat next week?!?!?!

Damn...

And another question..

211863[/snapback]

I agree, it definitely appeared as though Claire had the baby...

Liked the backstory of Walt and his father.... Nice at the end where they bonded a little bit when Walt finally saw that he'd gotten letters all along and the guy did care. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Brian, not that this kind of thing doesn't happen lots.... Speaks lots about Walt's dad (don't remember his name) that he at least covered and made himself look like the bad guy instead of saying that Walt wasn't wanted by Brian. Walt's mother's attitude just had me PO'ed. She's the mother, so she can take the kid wherever. Bye. I don't need you anymore, loser construction worker.

So what was it that was revealed that was more than ever? The polar bear? We've seen it before. Maybe it was the line from Brian that "things have always happened" when Walt was around. Dead bird when he was reading the bird book, polar bears when he was reading the comic (The Flash --- I actually used to read that when I was a kid)....

That's odd about Claire. Her belly was the first thing I noticed that it was her a split second before her face showed. Was she responding to the dog whistle?

It's getting more like "Lord of the Flies" with this group that's emerging around Locke and Boone. Walt and his dad now seem to be included. Splitting into one group that hunts and kills, another that relies on intelligence (Jack's doctoring, Sayid trying to figure out the maps).

I don't know if this has been discussed in previous LOST threads, but have you noticed the show's facination with begining episodes with a close up of a character's eye?

I went through my Tivo after last week's episode and noticed that in the majority of episodes (including the first 4) they begin with a close up of the eye. It's usually the character who the episode focuses on...

It may be a minor thing, but tonight Locke mentioned something interesting while showing Walt how to throw the knife. He talked about the Mind's Eye and Walt said, "it felt real." Locke responded, "whose to say it wasn't?"

An interesting conversation that has relevence I think.

Certainly the whole begining episodes with an eye could be just symbolic of the mind's eye of that particular character (since much of the show is flashback etc). But it also goes hand in hand with what I was talking about with the monster. About how the monster is a reflection of yourself...

thoughts?

I don't know if this has been discussed in previous LOST threads, but have you noticed the show's facination with begining episodes with a close up of a character's eye?

I went through my Tivo after last week's episode and noticed that in the majority of episodes (including the first 4) they begin with a close up of the eye. It's usually the character who the episode focuses on...

It may be a minor thing, but tonight Locke mentioned something interesting while showing Walt how to throw the knife. He talked about the Mind's Eye and Walt said, "it felt real." Locke responded, "whose to say it wasn't?"

An interesting conversation that has relevence I think.

Certainly the whole begining episodes with an eye could be just symbolic of the mind's eye of that particular character (since much of the show is flashback etc). But it also goes hand in hand with what I was talking about with the monster. About how the monster is a reflection of yourself...

thoughts?

211914[/snapback]

I don't now about this theory. It's the Obvious Path the writers are leading everyone down to think more into it than there really is. Then when it is real, people will be surprised maybe? Surprised and confused is something they obviously want us viewers to be. Don't bring any expectations like 'The over-arching experience will turn out not to be real' b/c you're going to be duped by Abrams when he does a quadruple-bluff.

The point about the initial focus on the eyes of that week's highlighted character is interesting. Introducing point-of-view? I don't think it's necessarily a case that each person is seeing what they want, etc. I mean, they are, that's what POV is all about, but there's not necessarily some mystical/philosophical explanation of it.

The point about the initial focus on the eyes of that week's highlighted character is interesting. Introducing point-of-view? I don't think it's necessarily a case that each person is seeing what they want, etc. I mean, they are, that's what POV is all about, but there's not necessarily some mystical/philosophical explanation of it.

211926[/snapback]

I'm not saying there is...necessarily.

What I mean is that by begining the show focused on an eye (not once, but several times) I think it's just a metaphor for The Mind's Eye as well as establishing POV. But when Locke specifically mentions the reality of the Mind's Eye (Lock of all people, his interaction with the monster is key here) it makes you wonder.

Here is what I said about the Monster last week (it fits nicely here):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The monster is a reflection of yourself. If you look at how the monster has acted and who it has interacted with, it makes sense.

The monster was first sighted during the survivors' first night, when everyone was afraid of the island and where they were. This was their biggest fear. Thus the monster was stomping trees in the jungle. After all at that point they didn't know what was IN the jungle and were afraid. Thus the monster materilized as those fears.

The next time you see the monster is when they trek to the cockpit. They don't see the monster until the pilot says they were way off course and they aren't looking in the right place. Again, fear sets in and the monster appears. The pilot sticks his head out in fear and gets killed by the monster (because he was afraid of dying, he even said it in the cockpit before he got eaten). Yet the monster doesn't kill Charlie or Jack because Jack embraced his fear and went back for Charlie (when he fell). And the same was true for Kate who counted to five and "let the fear out".

The next time we see the monster was with Locke. And while everyone ran, Locke stood his ground and embraced his fear. He looked at the monster with awe and reverence rather than fear and thus he was spared (it is also interesting to note that after that moment Locke truly became mystical). If the monster is a reflection of yourself, then Locke's fearlessness was reflected in the monster at that moment that it stood before him (and he lived to tell the tale).

And in the most recent episode, the monster was active EVEN IN A DREAM. This is key because the monster reacted the same way as it has been in reality (at least according to this theory). Boone's biggest fear was losing Shannon. And that was reflected outward and the monster took Shannon from him. Adding further proof that this monster is a reflection of yourself...even your subconscious self.

So, if that theory is indeed true (which I am growing more convinced that it is) it raises a number of interesting questions. It also makes me believe we will never see the monster as long as this show is on the air. We may see parts of him, but not the entire monster (kinda like Jaws).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now look at that while thinking about the whole Mind's Eye discussion w/Locke tonight:

Look at the evidence:

1) Walt reads the Polar Bear comic in the second episode and a Polar Bear attacks the people in the jungle.

2) The father burns the book (the page with the bear on it happens to be the visible page) while Walt watches...then another Polar Bear appears.

3) The Monster as a reflection of people's fears...their mind's eye making it real.

Just food for thought really...

I'm not saying there is...necessarily.

What I mean is that by begining the show focused on an eye (not once, but several times) I think it's just a metaphor for The Mind's Eye as well as establishing POV. But when Locke specifically mentions the reality of the Mind's Eye (Lock of all people, his interaction with the monster is key here) it makes you wonder.

Here is what I said about the Monster last week (it fits nicely here):

The monster was first sighted during the survivors' first night, when everyone was afraid of the island and where they were. This was their biggest fear. Thus the monster was stomping trees in the jungle. After all at that point they didn't know what was IN the jungle and were afraid. Thus the monster materilized as those fears.

211932[/snapback]

When I read this last week, I flashed on "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks flopping around in the rubber raft when he was hearing things that first night. I actually :huh:'ed at that the first time I saw it.

I don't know, when I've had experience with "The Mind's Eye" it was always for visualizing something that you desire. Not making up something you fear. And maybe this fits in with the earlier discussion but I think it might just be an explanation goose chase. I think all the people who are looking to figure out the meaning and who think they really do know it, are going to be very surprised.

(Just noticed I had 'necessarily' twice in two consecutive sentences. <_<)

Although this episode was not as intense as last week's, it was still quite good. You really have to sympathize with Michael. He loses the woman he loves, his son, gets hit by a car, loses his son for good up to adoption, then has his son given to him because the other guy can't take being around him anymore, finds out his son's mom never gave him the letters he sent him, and when he gets to meet Walt, he wants nothing to do with him. Could someone buy Michael an ice cream? I think he's earned it.

So Claire is back, apparently minus the baby, and of course no more Lost until February 9. GRRRRRRR

I did some research, when Lost returns there will be at least 4 straight weeks of new episodes. Dates are: 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, & 3/1. Thats all I could find. Obviously a set-up for February sweeps.

I agree the funiest moment was Boone's refernce to Shannon's bulemia. Funnier than Charlie trying to resist reading Claire's diary.

One complaint; can Hurley please start calling people by their real names instead of "dude"? Just a small problem I have with that character.

Aside form that, I love this show.

I agree the funiest moment was Boone's refernce to Shannon's bulemia. Funnier than Charlie trying to resist reading Claire's diary.

211985[/snapback]

Boone's zinger has been long in coming (he did have some put-downs previously in the Why-aren't-you-helping milieu). I don't think it was funny or was meant to be funny. More like cold. I reiterate --- there seems to be a "Lord of the Flies" turn ahead. First it's this, then they're breaking Piggy's glasses.

That scene w/ Charlie was one of the funniest I've seen on Teevee in a while. Kind of sad considering that this ain't exactly a sit-com....

One complaint; can Hurley please start calling people by their real names instead of "dude"? Just a small problem I have with that character.

211985[/snapback]

How about Hurley being the only character on the show not showing any type of weight loss? Dude, where are you getting the food?!? <_<

The scene with the dead bird...remember that Walt was trying to get his mom and Brians attention to show them a picture of a bird in the book, and they were both ignoring him? Then, wham, the same kind of bird he was looking at in the book smashes itself up against their patio door.

I think Walt has the ability to create that which he is imagining, most likley in times of stress/anxiety.

Loved the way Boone essentially told his "sister" to go f%$! herself. I am a bit bothered at how much Boone is looking like Locke's little B word, though. He just follows Locke around with those big puppy dog eyes. :huh:

Though she didn't figure prominantly into last nights episode, I did appreciate the few scenes with Kate. Mmmmm...Kate.

Liked what Charlie said to Sawyer..."You punch like a pansy." :D:D

Little comment from last week...I have a feeling that the Korean dude can speak English too.

Overall...another fascinating and compelling episode. Going to be tough waiting through two repeats for the next new one. :D

Somebody.... <_< Anybody...... :D  Can someone please tell me what happened with Claire at the end? Is she back now? I missed the last 15 minutes.... :huh:

212067[/snapback]

At the very end, Boone and Locke were looking for Vincent (Walt's Dog), whistling some kind of dog whistle when they heard some rustling in front of them and after a few seconds Claire stumbled upon them, you saw her briefly (withouth child I believe) and then the screen went black.