better with Nassib this year?

NYCBoozers

Old School: there wouldn't be a learning curve? What about playing NFL defenses? Developing timing/chemisry with your WR, TE and RB. Nassib was nothing more than an above average college QB in an average conference. The hype around this guy continues to boggle my mind.

Kinda like EJ Manual, Right?

...and no the learning curve wouldn't have been nearly as difficult for Nassib in Hacketts offense compared to difficulties we seen from EJ in Hacketts offense. My opinion of course.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old school: I would agree, kind of like EJ Manuel. One nuance however: EJ Manuel played in a better conference (many would say) and his ceiling was seen, at draft time, as higher than Nassib's.

You don't draft someone b/c they're familiar with your playbook. That's silly. You draft someone b/c you think their skillset will succeed in the NFL. Marrone had a 4 year combine session with Nassib, and he passed on him over, and over, and over, and over again.

Edited by bobobonators

Just a thought but how about sticking to things that actually HAPPENED and not comparing what did to what could have happened if the football fairy had waved her magic wand? We have EJ, he made some good plays, he got injured. To say Nassib would have done this or that.. omg ... playing these mind games... forever Happy New Year! At least we wake up with the Legendary Kiko Alonso on our side, friends.

Old school: I would agree, kind of like EJ Manuel. One nuance however: EJ Manuel played in a better conference (many would say) and his ceiling was seen, at draft time, as higher than Nassib's.

You don't draft someone b/c they're familiar with your playbook. That's silly. You draft someone b/c you think their skillset will succeed in the NFL. Marrone had a 4 year combine session with Nassib, and he passed on him over, and over, and over, and over again.

I did say that a couple posts up, and I also believe that Marrone and Co. felt EJs ceiling was higher but think nassib might have been a better short term option since he was familiar with Hacketts offense, and since Marrones window is about 3 years maybe Nassib should have been the QB the Bills took.

Edited by old school

Vincent Lamar Wilfork of the New England Patriots. If he is able to rehab that knee I would like to see Buffalo make a play on him as our next QB. Vincent can throw the ball nearly 70 yards. (true statement) He is a big boy and he can run, no one is gonna take him down on 3rd and 2. He is so big he can block for himself.

I think it would be an upgrade at the QB position. For the Bills. We would be a league trend-setter. Other teams would copy.

But would the Bills fanbase warmly welcome Bianca?

You need 3.5 years before you have the foggiest idea what you have in a QB. He could be the next Peyton Manning or the next Ryan Leaf, and you'd have no idea. Unless of course he's placed behind a veteran backup on the depth chart after his first training camp. Then you know for sure.

Actually, you can have a pretty good foggy idea after watching 3ish games.

You need 3.5 years before you have the foggiest idea what you have in a QB. He could be the next Peyton Manning or the next Ryan Leaf, and you'd have no idea. Unless of course he's placed behind a veteran backup on the depth chart after his first training camp. Then you know for sure.

He has pretty much ruled out that he is not Ryan Leaf. Give the poor kid some credit. If anything he has shown that he can be an NFL QB, he is fairly smart with the ball, can make some plays, and can win about 1/2 the games he plays in. He just has not shown that he is a legit starter or a franchise QB yet.

Don't you think that pre-draft analysis was super lazy though?

"Marrone coached him at 'Cuse so he's going to take him?"

Seemed like people put no thought into it and then were upset when the Bills didn't follow the lazy script that these folks had laid out in their minds. No one knew Nasaib better than Marrone and Hackett at draft time. That they didn't take him speaks volumes about how they felt about him contributing at the NFL level.

I did feel like the pre-draft guessing was lazy, given the fact they almost could care less on who we picked, but I actually watched as much footage as I could get my hands on before the draft, even watching 4-5 complete games played by Barkley and nassib, just to see for myself, then once the bills drafted EJ, watched as much footage I could find on him as well, and my eyeball test told me that Nassib looked way more NFL game ready, while EJ looked like the superior physical talent, making deeper throws with much less effort, but I still didn't think any of them were 1st rounders by a long shot.

As for other comments about Coughlin not playing him, or even evaluating him, that's a little nonsensical, given they have a 2 time SuperBowl champion on the roster, that's kind of a no brainer.

And as for the Bills passing on hime the rest of the draft, I just don't think the front office wanted to spend more than one pick on a position when the team had so many open holes to fill everywhere else.

<snip>

As for other comments about Coughlin not playing him, or even evaluating him, that's a little nonsensical, given they have a 2 time SuperBowl champion on the roster, that's kind of a no brainer.

<snip>

I disagree.

You're late in the 4th quarter, down by 28, and your 2-time Super Bowl champion has just thrown his 4th interception of the game.

Spare him the humiliation when he simply wasn't at his best, avoid the possibility of injury on a play that is basically insignificant as the game is unwinnable, and receive the added benefit of giving the rookie some game time. That's the no brainer.

Not putting Nassib out there in those situations speaks volumes.

I disagree.

You're late in the 4th quarter, down by 28, and your 2-time Super Bowl champion has just thrown his 4th interception of the game.

Spare him the humiliation when he simply wasn't at his best, avoid the possibility of injury on a play that is basically insignificant as the game is unwinnable, and receive the added benefit of giving the rookie some game time. That's the no brainer.

Not putting Nassib out there in those situations speaks volumes.

This. There were opportunities to see what he could do, and the team chose not to bother.