A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Does it really matter if Thad is better than EJ at this point?

Neither guy has shown anything that would suggest they will be playoff-caliber QB's. EJ hasn't show consistent upward development, so we have no idea what we have in him. And what you saw from Thad today is about as good as it will ever get for him.

How are you sure about this? You have no idea what we have in EJ, but you're absolutely positive what we have in Lewis (who has played fewer games as a Bill).

Got it.

The down and distance dictated we should have been able to run the ball with the best running game in the league. The second call should have been anything else but that pass/route/player combination. TJ Graham is TJ Graham. It doesn't make sense to put him in that position where a good coaching staff would know he is not going to succeed.

I think everyone would agree on this entire board that TJ Graham would never make that catch because that's not the type of route he is familiar with nor doe he have the talent. That route would have been better for Goodwin or perhaps even Hogan. Graham was just the WR playing that position on that play - and I hold that it was a bad play call to put the money on the line with Graham.

I would disagree. He is a WR and it was a pass thrown right to him. What are you talking about?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you sure about this? You have no idea what we have in EJ, but you're absolutely positive what we have in Lewis (who has played fewer games as a Bill).

In a certain respect, that is a compliment. I think Thad has figured out the things that a rookie, like EJ, hasn't yet. He seems to make the right reads, for instance.

But, I don't think any amount of experience is going to really make Thad more poised in the pocket, or give him better ball-handling skills, or make him more mobile, etc.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the ceiling on Thad is pretty close.

1) As we all know, the kickoff team was disgraceful today. Absolutely sickening.

ST coach never saw the truck that hit him

2) I think that I have been negligent wrt my praise of Fred Jackson this year. Look, he isn't a superstar, but he is a fighter. I have tons of respect for this man. And to his credit, Spiller continued to fight for yardage too, even with the season being over.

Spiller's a running back; Jackson's a football player

3) Dareus disappointed me today big time. The dumb offsides play was bad enough, but we needed him to help stop the run, and apparently he keeps screwing up.

he plays on emotion, and helped shore up the run D before messing up - trying to do the impossible

4) We simply are not a good enough team to withstand drops like the one Chandler had at the end of the 1st Quarter. He played well after this, and I understand that the weather sucked. But he has formed a very disturbing pattern.

horrible timing on that drop, but our team loses because timing has never been our ally

5) There is NO doubt in my mind that Lewis is a better QB than EJ RIGHT NOW. Seriously, if the Superbowl was tomorrow and the Bills were playing, which one would you want to start? I am not talking about floors, ceilings, missed time in camp, missed time due to injuries, etc. I am talking about NOW!!! This tells me that:

a) We will have a very interesting off season.

b) The entire situation isn't pretty.

That said, Lewis played well enough today to have beat NE on the road. The loss was not his fault.

Lewis has earned the right to compete for the backup spot, and may - by default - become next season's starter

6) I sent a letter to a man I know,

it said, "one for the money, two for the show."

I waited all summer for his reply,

He said, "three to get ready and four to fly!"

7) The TD pass to Graham was one of the finest plays by the Bills in 2013.

we did keep playing, didn't we?

8) I had no issues with Marrone going for it on the 4th and 1 in the second quarter. It was the right move.

right move, wrong call - but Hackett hasn't shown much creativity all season

9) Pears of all people looked strong today. But the OL didn't have one of their better games in terms of pass protection.

Lewis broke the pocket too early at times, but he looked comfortable on the move

10) I make no secret of the fact that I have not been terribly impressed by Marrone. That said, this team was fighting back the entire game, and he deserves credit for this. Bellichick smelled blood wrt our rushing defense without Dareus. It was a tough situation and the team could have laid down but they did not. Yes, Coach Marrone can be praised for this.

and the character of the guys who kept getting up

11) Is Thad a UFA now? If he is, it might cost more to keep him than Manuel is paid, or close to it. I hope that he stays in town and is given a shot to earn the job in camp, along with a high draft pick.

see #5.. there will be no QB drafted to compete with Manuel or Lewis.. maybe Tuel

12) Listen, my sincere thanks to all of you for responding to, or just reading my rants. And yes, this fully includes those who get angry with some of my comments. :) I don't know when but some day we will be rewarded for our loyalty. I believe this. I won't give up. I can't.

always look forward to reading your opinions Bill.. sometimes i think they named the team after you! :D

13) Happy New Year my fellow Bills Fans to you and your loved ones!

right back at ya

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!

Got it.

I would disagree. He is a WR and it was a pass thrown right to him. What are you talking about?

I did think it was a bit too much of a bullet from Thad in the rain, but you've got to catch that ball. This is nothing new for Graham. But hey, he's open all the time.

Drive killers on offense, drive extenders on defense.

Absolutely. The 4 points gained from Dareus' stupidity certainly was a classic Bills' move.

I did think it was a bit too much of a bullet from Thad in the rain, but you've got to catch that ball. This is nothing new for Graham. But hey, he's open all the time.

Lol

Literally every receiver on that field dropped at least one pass. That was Graham's only one. It was a shame it happened, but let's not act like today was "classic Graham." He had a pretty good game.

In a certain respect, that is a compliment. I think Thad has figured out the things that a rookie, like EJ, hasn't yet. He seems to make the right reads, for instance.

But, I don't think any amount of experience is going to really make Thad more poised in the pocket, or give him better ball-handling skills, or make him more mobile, etc.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the ceiling on Thad is pretty close.

More poise in the pocket? He already has more than EJ. His throws look better than EJs and, despite the awful weather conditions in NE (as opposed to those in the Buff whirlpool), Lewis did pretty well protecting the ball. EJ hasn't seen really bad weather yet has 9 ints (on only 11 TDs) as well as 6 fumbles and 28 sacks (8 games).

Literally every receiver on that field dropped at least one pass. That was Graham's only one. It was a shame it happened, but let's not act like today was "classic Graham." He had a pretty good game.

Football players find a way to make that catch on fourth down.

Edited by GG

Does it really matter if Thad is better than EJ at this point?

Neither guy has shown anything that would suggest they will be playoff-caliber QB's. EJ hasn't show consistent upward development, so we have no idea what we have in him. And what you saw from Thad today is about as good as it will ever get for him.

This. In every obvious passing 3rd down he caves to pressure.

Football players find a way to make that catch on fourth down.

funny thought after reading this post. Asking everyone -

When we picture that play who are the guys we would say "yeah, he'd drop that?". It was your football player comment that got me thing.

Jackson, Sj13 and maybe Chandler make that catch

I can't see Spiller making it, nor Lee Smith.

Not sure Woods could have, I think Goodwin could have if he wasn't running full speed.

More poise in the pocket? He already has more than EJ. His throws look better than EJs and, despite the awful weather conditions in NE (as opposed to those in the Buff whirlpool), Lewis did pretty well protecting the ball. EJ hasn't seen really bad weather yet has 9 ints (on only 11 TDs) as well as 6 fumbles and 28 sacks (8 games).

No he doesn't. He is scared, has limited vision and with the exception of the tj touchdown does not make things happen. He may have better stats than ej, but that is simply an indictment of our qb situation.

funny thought after reading this post. Asking everyone -

When we picture that play who are the guys we would say "yeah, he'd drop that?". It was your football player comment that got me thing.

Jackson, Sj13 and maybe Chandler make that catch

I can't see Spiller making it, nor Lee Smith.

Not sure Woods could have, I think Goodwin could have if he wasn't running full speed.

Trying to be fully objective, I can think that only Freddie and Woods make that catch. The other guys... Maybe.

Merry Christmas, Bill. I always enjoy posts more than the professional media's. Another season w/o the playoffs, but I see some positives from this year. Hopefully sacking the ST coach will satisfy the blood lust for now. They have really been atrocious as most would have predicted from Crossman's history. Anyway, there are still big problems, but I have more hope than in past seasons.

Happy New Year, all.

Mike in South Florida