Disappointed in Marrone

jahnyc

I have no idea whether the players like playing for Marrone, or whether they are playing hard for him, but I have been disappointed with Marrone in his first season as our head coach. Other first year head coaches had significant impacts on their new teams, including Arians and Kelly, but Marrone was only able to match our poor record from last year. The defense improved significantly from last year, but I am not sure how much input Marrone has on the defense. Hackett seemed in over his head, and the special teams regressed this year. The team played poorly away from home. Our QB play was well below average.

Overall, I need to see more from Marrone. Nothing stood out about him this year (or, for that matter, in his game planning or preparation). I really do not want to go through the next couple of years hoping EJ and our head coach can develop over time.

I have no idea whether the players like playing for Marrone, or whether they are playing hard for him, but I have been disappointed with Marrone in his first season as our head coach. Other first year head coaches had significant impacts on their new teams, including Arians and Kelly, but Marrone was only able to match our poor record from last year. The defense improved significantly from last year, but I am not sure how much input Marrone has on the defense. Hackett seemed in over his head, and the special teams regressed this year. The team played poorly away from home. Our QB play was well below average.

Overall, I need to see more from Marrone. Nothing stood out about him this year (or, for that matter, in his game planning or preparation). I really do not want to go through the next couple of years hoping EJ and our head coach can develop over time.

None of those other teams had 3 QB's play with a total of 1 game of prior NFL experience...there was a reason we led the NFL with over 500 rushing attempts

Marrone is in over his head. He is a joke. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. Let's hire a head coach from ......Syracuse??????

Even Pettine couldn't muster a decent rush defense. Dareus is too easy the scapegoat. Was resigning Branch a good move?

I'm assuming we re-sign Carrington and yes, Branch is a good run stuffer. The problem is mostly Corbin Bryant and the LB and safety corps not being effective at the second level. To be fair, we were using backup safeties pretty much all game.

I like his attitude but he clearly needs to rethink his staff. Crossman should have never been hired in the first place and Hackett was a major gamble that has not paid off.

I'm not sure how many other teams would have consistently scored 20+ points with a revolving door of rookie QB's playing...

Marrone is in over his head. He is a joke. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. Let's hire a head coach from ......Syracuse??????

Holy hyperbole. I would venture a guess that the Browns are the laughingstock (firing ANOTHER coach--after 1 year!), followed closely by the Lions who were 6-3, with 5 of 7 remaining games at home AND all 3 division foes playing with backup QBs and finished 7-9.

Or maybe its the Redskins who traded the farm to STL for the #2 overall pick in 2012 (including their 2014 1st rounder). Whom they shut down at the end of the season. And what pick did that 2014 1st rounder become? ONLY #2 OVERALL!

But that's just me.

There were no good choices at QB, but it is harder to explain away the penalties, poor clock management, poor game calls, and lousy special teams. All of these are indicia of good coaching, and for all of these measurables, I believe we were lacking.

Holy hyperbole. I would venture a guess that the Browns are the laughingstock (firing ANOTHER coach--after 1 year!), followed closely by the Lions who were 6-3, with 5 of 7 remaining games at home AND all 3 division foes playing with backup QBs and finished 7-9.

Or maybe its the Redskins who traded the farm to STL for the #2 overall pick in 2012 (including their 2014 1st rounder). Whom they shut down at the end of the season. And what pick did that 2014 1st rounder become? ONLY #2 OVERALL!

But that's just me.

Even a Browns players are ridiculing ownership about firing Chudz. “We are so dysfunctional. These billionaires need to pick somebody and stay with them. These aren’t girlfriends, you can’t dump them if they [fail to please you] one time.”

I agree. The lack of discipline (penalties) really bothers me. The fact that our O-line isn't great bothers me (this is Marrone's area of expertise). Look at what Syracuse did without Marrone and Hacket. 6-6 with a bowl win. They didn't skip a beat. We continued to suck on the road. On the bright side, .500 in the division is o.k. for a rookie head coach. He didn't lose the team after they lost to Atl and didn't show up in T.B. They came back with wins against Jax and Miami and I will give him credit for that. Overall, I would can Hacket and the S.T. coach and give Marrone next season to prove himself. This was another in a string of uninspiring head coach hirings. If you're serious about winning you have to become better than the Pats. It takes a real head coach to do that!

I didn't expect playoffs but I did expect to see improvement over the course of the season but I didn't see any and that lies directly on Marrone. The lack of discipline and uninspired play on the road is concerning.

I couldn't be more disappointed in this staff and season

None of those other teams had 3 QB's play with a total of 1 game of prior NFL experience...there was a reason we led the NFL with over 500 rushing attempts

And who put the team in that position going into the season without an experienced QB?

Edited by Max997

But that's just me.

At least Cleveland has been to the playoffs this century. As for firing Chud, probably a good move. The Bills will wait three years to fire Marrone. He is such a joke.

Jury still out on Marrone after his honeymoon year, by mid-season next year we will have a better idea of whether he and EJ are the right guys. His future success or lack of it is tied to EJ, just like Chan's was tied to Fitz.