Is Your Opinion Of EJ Tainted By The Fact That He Was A Round 1 Pick?

PolishDave

This question goes for those of you who like him and those of you who don’t like him as the Bills’ starting quarterback. What if EJ had been taken by the Bills in the second round instead of the first? What if he had gone in the third or later?

I think most people’s opinions are highly tainted because he was a first round pick, just as their opinions are tainted about Jeff Tuel being an UDFA and Thad Lewis being a practice squad guy. Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel lose respect because they were essentially NFL throwaways just about.

When I read opinions of what other people are saying about all 3 of these quarterbacks, I can’t help but notice their bias because of the “perceptions” created by a player’s draft placement. Human nature is a funny thing. Humans are emotional animals more so than they are logical decision makers.

Personally I think you should disregard where he was drafted and look at his play more objectively. Then decide whether he is good enough for you or not based on that. Same goes for Thad and Tuel.

What do you think? How much different would you feel about EJ if he was a later round pick? How much different would people here look at him if he had a different draft round associated with him?

Edited by PolishDave

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fact the Bills picked him in the 1st round forces them (in their minds) to cut him more slack in hopes that he won't make them look stupid and will improve. If he was picked in the 3rd round it would have been easier for them to justify picking a QB in the 1st round in 2014, but now they've boxed themselves in and may pass on a better QB to save face. An unfortunate jumping of the gun last year may cost us a real franchise QB this year.

This question goes for those of you who like him and those of you who don’t like him as the Bills’ starting quarterback. What if EJ had been taken by the Bills in the second round instead of the first? What if he had gone in the third or later?

I think most people’s opinions are highly tainted because he was a first round pick, just as their opinions are tainted about Jeff Tuel being an UDFA and Thad Lewis being a practice squad guy. Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel lose respect because they were essentially NFL throwaways just about.

When I read opinions of what other people are saying about all 3 of these quarterbacks, I can’t help but notice their bias because of the “perceptions” created by a player’s draft placement. Human nature is a funny thing. Humans are emotional animals more so than they are logical decision makers.

Personally I think you should disregard where he was drafted and look at his play more objectively. Then decide whether he is good enough for you or not based on that. Same goes for Thad and Tuel.

What do you think? How much different would you feel about EJ if he was a later round pick? How much different would people here look at him if he had a different draft round associated with him?

Peyton Manning is still sometimes referred to as a #1 overall pick. To this day.

So you can't divorce a first round QB from being a first round QB.

That being said EJ is not playing well in a majority of the games he played as well as not staying healthy.

Those are two major concerns for any player no matter what round they were drafted.

i love where ej was drafted for the simple fact that my stance going into the draft was that i wanted the bills to identify the qb they wanted and pull the trigger with their first pick. i didn't really care which qb they drafted as long as they felt strongly about him and it wasn't a consolation prize. and as far as which direction to go in the future...get a bunch of people in for a competition and may the best man win. whether it be a 1st rounder, a mid rounder, rookie free agents, veterans...just get me the best guy going forward. give ej every chance to be the guy, but make him earn it.

It's tainted by the fact that I like his tools and maturity, and that he was the QB I wanted all along - while I did actually like Geno Smith.

I think Smith went to the worst place possible for him. EJ was touted as a work in progress, a guy who would need seasoning. Ideally he was not going to be plan A at starting QB this year -- Kolb was, as bad of a plan A as that might have been. EJ was supposed to earn it in a real one-on-one.

Now, if you suggest that some of us undervalue Thad Lewis or others because they don't come with pedigree, then you may be right about that. I still stand by the notion, based on the uneven results, that EJ can play in this league and his upside is that of a QB like Roethlisberger (similar physique, potential mobility, and perhaps better smarts in the long run). I expect a lot in year 2 from this guy and I may join the mob if he doesn't improve, but I'd like to see him get a full season of health and chances before I really evaluate him.

I think the fact the Bills picked him in the 1st round forces them (in their minds) to cut him more slack in hopes that he won't make them look stupid and will improve. If he was picked in the 3rd round it would have been easier for them to justify picking a QB in the 1st round in 2014, but now they've boxed themselves in and may pass on a better QB to save face. An unfortunate jumping of the gun last year may cost us a real franchise QB this year.

It will take time to see if I'm right but I feel this is a FO and coach that will act quickly to remedy any mistakes they make. If Whaley, et al, think EJ's not "the guy," I think they'll be quick to move on. If they don't they likely will be gone themselves. I believe EJ's got one more year to make his case. If he continues to get injured, to turn over the ball, to be inaccurate, to miss seeing open receivers, he's done in BFLO.

Also, let's not forget that the Bills scored a major coup in this draft by turning one top pick into Alonso and Manuel. Kiko alone has produced what we should expect of any first-rounder. If EJ develops, a scenario which EVERY BILLS FAN SHOULD HOPE FOR, this could be one of the best drafts they've ever had.

Here's hoping.

I am willing to give EJ a full year to see if he is able to stay healthy and take us further. That said I raised this question in the shoutbox: If Thad was the first round pick and Ej was the practice squader would we be willing to give him an out after three knee injuries or would we want him run out of town? Time will tell!

I am willing to give EJ a full year to see if he is able to stay healthy and take us further. That said I raised this question in the shoutbox: If Thad was the first round pick and Ej was the practice squader would we be willing to give him an out after three knee injuries or would we want him run out of town? Time will tell!

If Thad was a first rounder the fans would be pissed off as hell already for our having reached for a QB from Duke who hasn't produced at an exceptional level and whose physical traits are nothing remarkable for an NFL QB. I am not sure why anyone keeps going to this well.

EJ has shown more upside and he had a higher draft position for it.

Though tainted is a very subjective term.....a better term wold have been "influenced"......yes. I most certainly am influenced by the fact that EJ was a 1st round pick. I have no illusions that my abilities to analyze a players potential is minimal and am quite happy to defer to the experts.

The only opinions that actually matter are those of the Bills experts. Not only are they the only ones who can make a decision on EJ, but they are in by far the best position to make the assessments.

Though tainted is a very subjective term.....a better term wold have been "influenced"......yes. I most certainly am influenced by the fact that EJ was a 1st round pick. I have no illusions that my abilities to analyze a players potential is minimal and am quite happy to defer to the experts.

The only opinions that actually matter are those of the Bills experts. Not only are they the only ones who can make a decision on EJ, but they are in by far the best position to make the assessments.

That there is the bottom line. Frankly...so far he's been a disappointment IMO. But who am I to say that? No one. I'll route for him as long as he is wearing blue and white...perhaps beyond...but not if he's a Patriot ! No no no ! LOL !

I have a "not-so-good" feeling about EJ and I way look forward to he proving me wrong. GO BILLS !

I wouldn't worry about it. I guarantee, if a QB prospect falls to where the Bill pick, he won't be considered a better prospect than Manuel. I don't see ANY genuine blue-chip QB prospect falling that far. EJ was never considered a blue chip prospect. He's a developmental QB with outstanding intangibles. No need to pick another one of those until we know what we have in Manuel.

GO BILLS!!!

Manuel was considered 4th round talent by most. This draft is significantly better at QB than last year.

Who's dropping to the Bills? Quick, go check who Kiper's top QBs are and get back to us. Then you can spend the rest of the night convincing us how that QB is such a better prospect.

As for the 4th round grades that EJ received? Not from any scout I've talked to. Oh, let me guess, McShay and Kiper must have said "4th round." Or was it Greg Cosell? Were any of them the same ones who said Nassib was the best in the class last year? Or was that just Cosell. In actual circles, EJ was considered a late 1st round talent who would need a couple seasons to develop. But don't let that get in the way of your agenda.

GO BILLS!!!