Matt Stafford...wow

Big Turk

I was just on Pro-Football-Reference checking out his career. They have an interesting section at the bottom of each player page that lists other players at the same position that at the listed point in their careers, are good comparisons. Stafford's is pretty interesting.

4 Steve McNair, Joe Montana*, Michael Vick, Greg Landry, Tobin Rote, Tony Romo, Philip Rivers, Josh Freeman, Randall Cunningham, Troy Aikman*

What does "similar" mean, according to PFR?

Players who's career was of similar quality and shape.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've seen, Stafford is an animal. I know he's prone to mistakes, but the kid is 25. His statistics (I know, I know, not the only thing that matters!) are pretty darn good. He's got 9 game winning drives. He's thrown 108 TDs in 59 games.

I just think that it's shortsighted to call a kid of 25 who has unlimited potential and has shown a good amount of success a bad QB. Let's not forget, in terms of terrible franchises the Lions are in worse shape than the Bills. The primary reason they are better now is because of Stafford.

Calvin Johnson?

I mean... DET was an 0-fer with the only other zero win team in history being the expansion Bucs.

YET, they made the playoffs since.

How's that 14 year drought doing BFLO?

Who's in worse shape?

Who's Qb sucks?

LoL... Come talk to me in say 10-13 years and see how bad DET & Stafford are?

As Bills fans, we are NOT even allowed to start threads like this... UNTIL we @ least make the playoffs.

Oh wait, DET is still in the hunt for their division... What's BFLO doing?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Not sure where the confusion is. Obviously Calvin Johnson is a more accomplished player than Stevie. The point is that even the best of them make mistakes. At crucial times also. What's myopic is wanting to cut SJ because he is "not a clutch player".

First of all, the Bills haven't played an important game since 2004, so the term clutch is used loosely here.

Secondly, the sample size is way too small. He's had two clear late drops, the last one occurring over two years ago. Yes, he should have held on to the ball tighter against the Falcons, but that was also a good play by the DB. You could easily point to him stripping the DB and recovering the fumble late against the Colts after yet another Fitzpick last year as a clutch play, but that doesn't fit the narrative, I suppose.

No confusion on my part, you compared the two players and I made a statement about the silliness of such comparison. Megatron "more accomplished" might be the single greatest understatment made on this board in quite some time. Putting the two in the same discussion is ludicrous in my opinion. And no, it's not myopic to me - although to be clear, I never used the term clutch, you must be thinking of someone else - but I'm great with trading SJ (preferrably) or cutting him (if necessary) merely because he doesn't PRODUCE CONSISTENTLY!!! That's it, forget about the fumlbe with Atlanta and the dropped Pittsburgh pass, he just doesn't get it done week to week. Plus, SJ on the field means someone else isn't...and I think Goodwin is a good slot guy and a larger WR on the outside is a better compliment to Woods.

Calvin Johnson had a couple of key drops which may have cost them the game and now has nine on the year.

So weird. I thought only Stevie dropped passes. Guess the lions should cut this bum also.

Ya but Calvin is open when he's not open and you cannot say that about stevie !

Nice pick 6 vs the nyg. 20-20.

7-7. Stafford is the worst.

No he is a Jay Cutler wanna be :-)