Life long fan loosing the faith

Iraq Vet

I lost my "give a crap" and I am having trouble finding it. I have been a Bills fan since I was 5, now I am 43. The last 14 years of bad teams, clueless coaching, bad management, bad QB's has me asking. Is it time to jump ship to another team? We are like the Chicago Cub fans or worse yet LA Clipper fans.

I am tired of talking with my family during holidays, telling them "this is the year that the Bills will show something. Sure it will not be a winning season but there will be real progress." This website is becoming like a support group for blindly loyal fans. Is there real hope here? Only thing worse is being a Browns fan..... Sea Hawks look pretty fun to watch and they have cool logo.

This is like being married to a mean, nasty, spiteful, ugly woman that you fell in love with in your teens ... when she was sort of cute, but even then you sensed she was bad news. But you stay becuase your loyal and not a cheater.

There has to be some luntic Bills fan out there with some awesome statisitical analysis that shows we are not doomed to have Doug Marrone fired in 2 years and looking for a new QB again in a year from now.

Signed,

Faithful... but eyes wondering.

Edited by Iraq Vet

thank you for your service, and i can somewhat identify with your thought process. i am 61, been following them since their inception and am really getting sick of the emotional investment .. the thought of just letting go has crossed my mind, but could not do it..but i do get where you are..

I lost my "give a crap" and I am having trouble finding it. I have been a Bills fan since I was 5, now I am 43. The last 14 years of bad teams, clueless coaching, bad management, bad QB's has me asking. Is it time to jump ship to another team? We are like the Chicago Cub fans or worse yet LA Clipper fans.

I am tired of talking with my family during holidays, telling them "this is the year that the Bills will show something. Sure it will nto be a winning season but there will be real progress." This website is becoming like a support group for blindly loyal fans. Is there real hope here? Only thing worse is being a Browns fan..... Sea Hawks look pretty fun to watch and they have cool logo.

This is like being married to a mean, nasty, spiteful, ugly woman that you fell in love with in your teens ... when she was sort of cute, but even then you sensed she was bad news. But you stay becuase your loyal and not a cheater.

There has to be some luntic Bills fan out there with some awesome statisitical analysis that shows we are not doomed to have Doug Marrone fired in 2 years and looking for a new QB again in a year from now.

Signed,

Faithful... but eyes wondering.

I also thank you for your service.

I would figure your faith would be increasing...didn't you predict that the team would go 0-16 multiple times during the off-season? We've far exceeded those expectations.

If you live in NY, maybe you can switch to being a Giants fan. They are a major market team, so the NFL does its best to insure that they are in the hunt every year. The Bills, well...the Bills will probably be gone in a few years and our farce of a team will be gone the way of the Syracuse Nationals or something.

Dear Faithful... but eyes wondering,

You say you are 43 years old, and that you have been a Bills fan since you were 5 years old? Surely you must have survived some pretty dark years in the 80's prior to the Super Bowl years. Stay faithful my friend. Sure, you could just give up and go out and buy yourself a Russell Wilson jersey....pretend that you are a diehard Seahawks fan. Could you live with yourself being such a phony though? That is the question.

Dear Faithful... but eyes wondering,

You say you are 43 years old, and that you have been a Bills fan since you were 5 years old? Surely you must have survived some pretty dark years in the 80's prior to the Super Bowl years. Stay faithful my friend. Sure, you could just give up and go out and buy yourself a Russell Wilson jersey....pretend that you are a diehard Seahawks fan. Could you live with yourself being such a phony though? That is the question.

Ooooooh. A Russell Wilson jersey does look good.

I also thank you for your service.

I would figure your faith would be increasing...didn't you predict that the team would go 0-16 multiple times during the off-season? We've far exceeded those expectations.

Yes I did predict 0-16. Mostly to drive the happy talkers nuts. Maybe I will be come a Buffalo Bandits fan.

$1,000 and we will let you back on the wagon when you want to be a fan again.

By the time the wagon has reason to load back up, a thousand bucks won't be worth all that much. That's the same theory I'm using in extending my three daughters' college loans out 30 years! :nana:

Well, I 'gave up' last week so this week I was flipping around and watching other games while doing things around the house. Next year I'll get sucked back in and start the process all over again.

PS - what's with the "loosing" joke I see all over the place around here?

I understand your sentiments...I truly do. At times I've wondered what it would be like to be on the winning end of a team I'm pulling for...and yes, the Giants do come to mind...that said, the frustration is rooted in the desire to see the team you've spent countless hours watching, from their games to their practice highlights, to their pre-season, to the Draft, to the news clips and soundbytes about the team and their day-to-day operations. And when you've invested that much time and energy, "walking away" isn't like the man who left his shovel near the hole he was digging only to find slate six feet down..it's more like the Thelma & Louise movie where they drive off the cliff...you commit football suicide by saying, "F-this!" and decide I'm done being invested...I will watch and with stress-free pleasure, but as I don't wallow in the losses, I won't soar with the wins...and therein lies the catch: to truly enjoy the game your heart and soul must bear some pride and hope with it and if you "walk away" from the team that lured your passion to it, you leave the reason you started the love affair with football to begin with...so, I may run for the hills and search for greener pastures, but right now, all I hear are the dark and breathy whispers from the other room telling me "the game is on...wanna watch?"...and despite my wish to leave out the front door, I find I'm hanging up my coat, grabbing a beer and settling in to my favorite place on the couch, knowing disappointment to follow...but paralyzed from leaving. Mr Vet, you are among friends...and this is your place of solace, as we all wish to be driving off that cliff, but alas Thelma's siren call keeps us home...hoping...waiting...for the love to be returned.

Edited by BigBuff423