Bills/Raiders Championship game (51-3)

Fezmid

Thanks to Rubes for converting the game to DVD and giving it to me to distribute to TSW membes! The video quality is what you'd expect from a 15 year old videotape converted to DVD. :( If you've seen my Comeback game, the quality is similar.

See my sig line for information on getting the DVDs from me. Short answer - $1/disk, $4/shipping, optional tip (8 games max per shipment)

The only downside is that, since the Gulf War had just recently started, there are a few interruptions of the game so we miss some plays (including the last fieldgoal, Talley's second INT, etc). I don't recall missing plays on that day, but the recording was made in Buffalo according to the call-sign at the bottom of the screen, so I guess I just don't remember that.

Some observations from the game:

1) The refs didn't call very many penalties. Not sure if that's how things were in that time, or if the refs just put the flags away from the day. I've seen a facemask missed, some plays that would now be called roughing the passer not called, receivers being held, etc.

2) The announcers mentioned that we have the best fans in the league. When the other announcer asked why, he said, "Because they're always so positive. They're not critical of the players, and they're very knowledgable about football." Take that into consideration when posting.

3) Buffalo's offensive line was *AMAZING* Kelly had all day to throw the ball, nobody came near him. The blocking on running plays was great. I don't think defenders got anywhere near our offensive players all game. The running lanes that were opened up for our backs was truly amazing. Hull, Ritcher, Ballard, Wolford.

4) Our defense didnt' get a lot of pressure on the QB on most plays. Reminded me of our defense this year - not much pressure most times, but still a good D.

5) Reed, Lofton, Tasker were a great treo in this game (Al Edwards had a concussion early in the game). Nobody could cover Lofton. Tasker got open a lot.

6) We had so much talent, we were crazy-good. I don't think we'll ever see a team that good again, much less the Bills. :D

7) Fore-shadowing: Norwood missed a 45 yarder wide right in the 2nd quarter... :D Norwood also had a PAT blocked...

8) Replay was apparantly handled by the booth, and not the refs. I forgot that we even had replay back then.

9) The Raiders apparantly had the second or third best defense in the league that year according to the announcers. The Giants were one spot better.

10) Dick Enberg and Bill Waslh were pretty good announcers. They actually analyzed the plays much better than what you see nowadays. Lots of talking, they actually showed replays of penalties, etc. Overall, impressive.

11) I've really grown accustomed to the yellow "first down" line on the screen. :D NFL productions nowadays are way too flashy with no content nowadays. This game seems more football-centricc as opposed to graphics and pretty special effects around the score board. With the exception of the first down line, I wouldn't mind seeing 80% of the crap removed from current games.

12) Jay Schroeder could really scramble. I didn't remember that about him.

All in all, GREAT game. PM/email me if you want a copy.

CW

Thanks, Fez, for handling the distribution of that one. I loved that entire game.

I had wanted to include the whole tape from start to finish, but I used the entire 4 hours of the VHS tape and there was no way for me to do that without some sort of advanced compression technique, which I don't have access to. Plus, the quality of the video is poor enough to begin with, and that much compression would reduce the quality even further.

As you pointed out, there were many interruptions in the game, as the first Gulf War was only 5 days old at the time. I edited those out, although they were pretty interesting to watch. Even with all of those sequences, as well as commercials, edited out, it still needed more editing. I had to edit out the pre-game show (pretty lame stuff, actually) and some of the post-game festivities. But the game is all there, except for the few plays that were missed because of the news breaks. It was taped on NBC in Buffalo.

I also noticed a couple of things...

Norwood does miss a 45 yard FG, same camera angle, same wide right, same apparent ball trajectory (missed by about a foot around the same height). It is amazing how similar it looks to the Super Bowl miss.

Kelly, for all his faults, was actually pretty mobile. Sounds silly, but he was constantly moving around, scrambling a bit, just buying time. He wasn't nimble by any means, but I was surprised to realize how much he did move around.

Nobody could cover Lofton or Tasker, as you mentioned.

What a trip!

10) Dick Enberg and Bill Waslh were pretty good announcers.  They actually analyzed the plays much better than what you see nowadays.  Lots of talking, they actually showed replays of penalties, etc.  Overall, impressive.

11) I've really grown accustomed to the yellow "first down" line on the screen.  :D  NFL productions nowadays are way too flashy with no content nowadays.  This game seems more football-centricc as opposed to graphics and pretty special effects around the score board.  With the exception of the first down line, I wouldn't mind seeing 80% of the crap removed from current games.

CW

210618[/snapback]

I have about 100 Bills games on tape, from about 1986 on, a couple from the early 80's. Usually by mid June, I pull a couple out, usually regular season games where I can't even remember the outcome. Anyway, you are so right abuot the quality of today's game broadcasts. There are way too many graphics for my taste. I go to a bar to watch the games on Sundays. They show every game. When you look around, trying to figure out what is going on with other games, there is a crawl going along the bottom of the screen with "fantasy trackers", top right of the screen is scrolling through the out of town scores. The actual game only takes up about 2/3 of the screen...now instead of good game analysis, they would rather dazzle us with new graphics.

I think some of the camera work on todays games is incredible, but the rest, from the awful pre-game shows, to the empty half time updates, makes me long for the old days sometimes. God, too many posts today, by me, longing for the old days...

I, too, have a couple hundred games from on tape from '86 on. I was at the 51-3 Championship and had one of only 30-some tickets not used as my brother-in-law was too sick to attend. The best part of the game -IMO- was at 41-3 at half time, 80,000 people were already celebrating our first Super Bowl. We all had a half game to just relish the thrill! :D

The only downside is that, since the Gulf War had just recently started, there are a few interruptions of the game so we miss some plays (including the last fieldgoal, Talley's second INT, etc). 

210618[/snapback]

For me, I would actually like to have the news breaks included. To me, that's part of what I remember watching the game, going from the highs of how the team is doing, to the low of wondering if everything is going okay in the Gulf.

For me, I would actually like to have the news breaks included. To me, that's part of what I remember watching the game, going from the highs of how the team is doing, to the low of wondering if everything is going okay in the Gulf.

210804[/snapback]

Once dual-layer disks come down in price (they're roughly $6/each now), then maybe we can go back and add those things back in. I'd like to add commercials to the DVDs I do because I think it'd be cool to look back at some of them in 10-15 years, but there's just no space on the disk :D

CW

I have about 100 Bills games on tape, from about 1986 on, a couple from the early 80's.  Usually by mid June, I pull a couple out, usually regular season games where I can't even remember the outcome....

210718[/snapback]

Maybe you and Fezmid can collaborate on something. I have a small wishlist:

Dolphins at Bills ('90) - Reich and Roll

Bills at Dolphins ('89) - Kelly scores on last play, Marv drags cable boy down field

Bills at Dolphins ('83) - Fergy's best day as a pro; Marino's first start

Rams at Bills ('89) - MNF Reich wins in closing moments

Bills at Raiders ('91) - Norwood misses a ton of kicks, but finally wins

Bills at 49ers ('92) - No punts

Fez - I'll want that 51-3 game, but I'll probably wait until you have a few more games. Your work is great.

Once dual-layer disks come down in price (they're roughly $6/each now), then maybe we can go back and add those things back in.  I'd like to add commercials to the DVDs I do because I think it'd be cool to look back at some of them in 10-15 years, but there's just no space on the disk :D

CW

210810[/snapback]

I've been using 2 DVDs on my tape back-ups... cut the 1st disc off after half-time. The price of blank single-layer discs is so low now.... No menus, though; just quick transfers before my tapes deteriorate any further.

I've been using 2 DVDs on my tape back-ups... cut the 1st disc off after half-time. The price of blank single-layer discs is so low now.... No menus, though; just quick transfers before my tapes deteriorate any further.

210885[/snapback]

I thought about doing that myself, but decided that I'd prefer to have the whole game on one disk. I never liked the "flipper disks" and this would be similar.

CW

I thought about doing that myself, but decided that I'd prefer to have the whole game on one disk.  I never liked the "flipper disks" and this would be similar.

CW

210886[/snapback]

I guess with what you're doing, one disk is probably better anyways...

cuts down on cost & especially your time. Good deal! :D

If anyone wants me to take the original tape (including pre-game material, Gulf War breakaways, commercials, and post-game festivities) and include everything on 2 DVDs, let me know and I'll do that.

Actually, Fez, maybe I should do that anyway in case someone wants a double-sided disk?

Anyway, if that's an interesting proposal, let me know. If enough folks respond, I'll try to do it. Shouldn't be too hard.

Fez - I'll want that 51-3 game, but I'll probably wait until you have a few more games.  Your work is great.

210873[/snapback]

Do I get a cut of any tips for that one? :D

Do I get a cut of any tips for that one?  :)

211087[/snapback]

You get a one-time bonus of the DVDs I currently have; you havn't sent me your address yet so I can get those out to you :D After that, you'll have to fork over the $1 like everyone else :(

CW

If anyone wants me to take the original tape (including pre-game material, Gulf War breakaways, commercials, and post-game festivities) and include everything on 2 DVDs, let me know and I'll do that.

Actually, Fez, maybe I should do that anyway in case someone wants a double-sided disk?

Anyway, if that's an interesting proposal, let me know. If enough folks respond, I'll try to do it. Shouldn't be too hard.

211082[/snapback]

I would take one. Just let me know where/when to mail you some cash.

I would take one. Just let me know where/when to mail you some cash.

211127[/snapback]

I'll look into doing it in the next couple of days, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Do people generally prefer two DVDs or one double-sided DVD?

Fez, can you list the games you have available on DVD again along with contact info. I'm planning to order a bunch (complete with generous!! tip) and have mainly been waiting for that Sounds of the Game (or whatever it was called) from NFL Network that you were thinking about doing.

Thanks!

211244[/snapback]

Fez's post in the Trading Post

Thanks to Rubes for converting the game to DVD and giving it to me to distribute to TSW membes!  The video quality is what you'd expect from a 15 year old videotape converted to DVD. :huh:  If you've seen my Comeback game, the quality is similar.

See my sig line for information on getting the DVDs from me.  Short answer - $1/disk, $4/shipping, optional tip (8 games max per shipment) 

The only downside is that, since the Gulf War had just recently started, there are a few interruptions of the game so we miss some plays (including the last fieldgoal, Talley's second INT, etc).  I don't recall missing plays on that day, but the recording was made in Buffalo according to the call-sign at the bottom of the screen, so I guess I just don't remember that.

Some observations from the game:

1) The refs didn't call very many penalties.  Not sure if that's how things were in that time, or if the refs just put the flags away from the day.  I've seen a facemask missed, some plays that would now be called roughing the passer not called, receivers being held, etc.

2) The announcers mentioned that we have the best fans in the league.  When the other announcer asked why, he said, "Because they're always so positive.  They're not critical of the players, and they're very knowledgable about football."  Take that into consideration when posting.

3) Buffalo's offensive line was *AMAZING*  Kelly had all day to throw the ball, nobody came near him.  The blocking on running plays was great.  I don't think defenders got anywhere near our offensive players all game.  The running lanes that were opened up for our backs was truly amazing.  Hull, Ritcher, Ballard, Wolford.

4) Our defense didnt' get a lot of pressure on the QB on most plays.  Reminded me of our defense this year - not much pressure most times, but still a good D.

5) Reed, Lofton, Tasker were a great treo in this game (Al Edwards had a concussion early in the game).  Nobody could cover Lofton.  Tasker got open a lot.

6) We had so much talent, we were crazy-good.  I don't think we'll ever see a team that good again, much less the Bills. :D

7) Fore-shadowing: Norwood missed a 45 yarder wide right in the 2nd quarter... :D  Norwood also had a PAT blocked...

8) Replay was apparantly handled by the booth, and not the refs.  I forgot that we even had replay back then.

9) The Raiders apparantly had the second or third best defense in the league that year according to the announcers.  The Giants were one spot better.

10) Dick Enberg and Bill Waslh were pretty good announcers.  They actually analyzed the plays much better than what you see nowadays.  Lots of talking, they actually showed replays of penalties, etc.  Overall, impressive.

11) I've really grown accustomed to the yellow "first down" line on the screen.  <_<  NFL productions nowadays are way too flashy with no content nowadays.  This game seems more football-centricc as opposed to graphics and pretty special effects around the score board.  With the exception of the first down line, I wouldn't mind seeing 80% of the crap removed from current games.

12) Jay Schroeder could really scramble.  I didn't remember that about him.

All in all, GREAT game.  PM/email me if you want a copy.

CW

210618[/snapback]

Fezzer,

I'm going to order a couple of these off of you. 51-3, snow bowl, and most of the oder classics that you do have.......However, do you have any classic games or older games? Like the Bills wildcard with Fergy against the Jets, or some classic older games? I think this is awesome what you are doing....however....there aren't too many interesting games of the last few years that I'm interested in. Any chance you'll be adding some classics???

Thanks, CVA

Fezzer,

I'm going to order a couple of these off of you.  51-3, snow bowl, and most of the oder classics that you do have.......However, do you have any classic games or older games?  Like the Bills wildcard with Fergy against the Jets, or some classic older games?  I think this is awesome what you are doing....however....there aren't too many interesting games of the last few years that I'm interested in.  Any chance you'll be adding some classics???

Thanks, CVA

211921[/snapback]

This question gets asked a lot and, unfortunately, I don't have any of the older games yet. If people want to make them into DVDs (like Rubes did) and give them to me, I can distribute, or if people have VHS tapes I shohuld be able to onver to DVD (given the time), but otherwise I don't have any or I would :huh:

I used to have the Superbowls on VHS, but my parents taped over them while I was in college. <_< I would've liked to see XXV again personally.

Sorry I don't have better nes.

CW

This question gets asked a lot and, unfortunately, I don't have any of the older games yet.  If people want to make them into DVDs (like Rubes did) and give them to me, I can distribute, or if people have VHS tapes I shohuld be able to onver to DVD (given the time), but otherwise I don't have any or I would :huh:

I used to have the Superbowls on VHS, but my parents taped over them while I was in college.  <_<  I would've liked to see XXV again personally.

Sorry I don't have better nes.

CW

211925[/snapback]

Wait a minute, you don't have XXV on tape or DVD?

I've got that one stored away somewhere as well. I've never brought it out because I could never bear to look at it again. But if people would like that one on DVD I'd be happy to set aside my fears for the greater good.

Hey Fez, Rubes, etc, etc...

I have about a hundred games on video tape from over the years, the vast majority from the Kelly era and on. All the playoff games, etc. However, I do have a couple of older ones:

1975- Giants at Bills- Monday Night Game- Bills lose on a last second field goal, in a very entertaining game. Fun to hear Cosell. OJ has a , ho-hum, 126 yard game. He sure was fun to watch! You forget how fast he really was. NFL films footage is cool, but to see it in real time, like it is happening now (except everyone looks like a freakin' hippie!), is quite different. I baught this tape from someone off of Ebay a few years back (you know, buy this John Leypoldt trading card for 11.99, and I will throw in for free video tape of a Bills-Giants game from 1975!). The picture quality is very good, excellent when you consider how old it is.

1981- Dolphins at Bills- Monday Night Game- Bills won 31-21, Ferguson passed for about 360 yards or so...picture quality is not great, but watchable.

1983- Bills at Dolphins- Buffalo wins 38-35 in OT- Bills first win in Miami since 1966-

Ferguson has his best game ever (4 td's/420 yards), and some kid named Dan Marino gets his first NFL start. A classic, great game. Unfortunately, this tape is so old, the color is faded badly. The green grass of the Orange Bowl is so washed out, it almost looks like they are playing on a snowy field.

Unfortunately I only have these on video tape. PM me if you are interested in any!

Hey Fez, Rubes, etc, etc...

I have about a hundred games on video tape from over the years, the vast majority from the Kelly era and on. All the playoff games, etc.  However, I do have a couple of older ones:

1975- Giants at Bills- Monday Night Game- Bills lose on a last second field goal, in a very entertaining game.  Fun to hear Cosell.  OJ has a , ho-hum, 126 yard game.  He sure was fun to watch!  You forget how fast he really was.  NFL films footage is cool, but to see it in real time, like it is happening now (except everyone looks like a freakin' hippie!), is quite different.  I baught this tape from someone off of Ebay a few years back (you know, buy this John Leypoldt trading card for 11.99, and I will throw in for free video tape of a Bills-Giants game from 1975!).  The picture quality is very good, excellent when you consider how old it is. 

1981- Dolphins at Bills- Monday Night Game- Bills won 31-21, Ferguson passed for about 360 yards or so...picture quality is not great, but watchable.

1983- Bills at Dolphins- Buffalo wins 38-35 in OT- Bills first win in Miami since 1966-

Ferguson has his best game ever (4 td's/420 yards), and some kid named Dan Marino gets his first NFL start.  A classic, great game.  Unfortunately, this tape is so old, the color is faded badly.  The green grass of the Orange Bowl is so washed out, it almost looks like they are playing on a snowy field.

Unfortunately I only have these on video tape.  PM me if you are interested in any!

211964[/snapback]

Now those sound like some interesting games...I'd be willing to work on one or two if people are interested. Those two Bills-Dolphins games are probably great to see again, especially the 1983 game.