TBD Cooks.. Need your help( you out there Chef?)

plenzmd1

K, next question. I am in charge of appetizer for tomorrow..9 adults, 6 tween/teens....anybody have any interesting ideas?

if you want to be a bit unconventional how bout samosas with mango chutney (which you can buy in a bottle, kinda late to make your own).

K, next question. I am in charge of appetizer for tomorrow..9 adults, 6 tween/teens....anybody have any interesting ideas?

Something you don't see a lot of now with everyone trying to outdo each other......

cheese and crackers

"Braise the shanks" sounds like secret chef code that translates to "shiv the mofo."

I have some great mispronunciations of words by the latinos I worked with in the kitchen. Lamb shanks were lamb chunks.

Oh and we didn't have any secret code for that. We just said........shiv the mofo.

Pete and Chef,

I have never heard of Rumaki, but sounds good and easy. Think the kids will be fine as long as we don't tell them its liver LOL.

This look like how you all make it? Stopping at the Wegmans on the way up to DC..they should have the livers i am guessing.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Rumaki-106255

Pete and Chef,

I have never heard of Rumaki, but sounds good and easy. Think the kids will be fine as long as we don't tell them its liver LOL.

This look like how you all make it? Stopping at the Wegmans on the way up to DC..they should have the livers i am guessing.

http://www.epicuriou...s/Rumaki-106255

The way we make it is even simpler. No need for the spices, the soy may be ok. And it is very good and they won't know they're livers, if they've never eaten one how would they.

I know I'm late on this (again....sorry) but another great hors d'oeuvre with chicken liver is chicken liver pate or mousse as I call it. It's really easy. Saute some chicken livers in a pan along with some shallots until the livers are firm. Remove liver and shallots from pan and deglaze with brandy and I sometimes use port. Put the livers, shallots and reduced booze in a cuisinart or blender and add heavy cream. For let's say two lbs of livers you'll probably add a half cup of cream. I never measure it just eyeball it. Blend until smooth and season with salt and pepper. It will take a good amount of salt. Chill and sever with toasted slices of sliced baguette.

The way we make it is even simpler. No need for the spices, the soy may be ok. And it is very good and they won't know they're livers, if they've never eaten one how would they.

I know I'm late on this (again....sorry) but another great hors d'oeuvre with chicken liver is chicken liver pate or mousse as I call it. It's really easy. Saute some chicken livers in a pan along with some shallots until the livers are firm. Remove liver and shallots from pan and deglaze with brandy and I sometimes use port. Put the livers, shallots and reduced booze in a cuisinart or blender and add heavy cream. For let's say two lbs of livers you'll probably add a half cup of cream. I never measure it just eyeball it. Blend until smooth and season with salt and pepper. It will take a good amount of salt. Chill and sever with toasted slices of sliced baguette.

Thx for that...but in a nod to the kids who all love bacon going to do the Rumaki. Sounds good, and will give me something to do while drinking!

Thx for that...but in a nod to the kids who all love bacon going to do the Rumaki. Sounds good, and will give me something to do while drinking!

Oh rumaki making tip. Freeze the livers first. They are much easier to wrap in the bacon if they are solid. Trust me on this one.

Pete and Chef,

http://www.epicuriou...s/Rumaki-106255

I sneak in chicken livers in some rumaki, but my base recipe is bacon wrapped water chestnuts soaked in marinade of soy with siracha- killer!