Leodis McKelvin - Shutdown Corner?

LB3

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kills me about Gilmore is that he holds on every play. He just mugs the receiver all the way down the field, and then, a lot of times, still is giving up the catch. There were several plays yesterday where he very clearly should have been called for interference or illegal contact, but really lucked out.

Gilmore's definitely a bit too "touchy and feely" for my tastes too.

Players like Ty Law and Charles Woodson play(ed) a similar style but you can play that style with impunity after you've got an established reputation.

Also I get that a player has to "play his game" but here's what I don't get:

Gilmore ran a sub 4.4 forty at the combine. With that kind of speed, why does he need to grab so much?

McKelvin is now playing at a top level.....he is an "old pro", and we can look forward to some big plays from him going forward. (like the punt return for a TD a couple of weeks ago that was called back for holding.)

I can remember off the top of my head 4 TDs that Leodis has had called back due to penalties. Two of them were interceptions and there was the kickoff return against San Francisco last year.

Bills fans might have had a slightly different perception of the player had some of those TDs stood up.

Just goes to show you what good coaching will do.

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

“I think the major thing that really concerned him last year was him not being able to play the ball,” Henderson said. “We call it taking peanuts off your head.”

`

“The only thing he wanted to fix on me was really truly getting my head back around for the ball and play for the ball,” McKelvin said. “As we all know in previous years of me being here, I had a problem as far as going up and getting the ball; losing those downfield battles. … He worked on things like getting my head around once I know he’s going for a deep route and looking for the ball. He put a lot of emphasis on it.”

Henderson said he put McKelvin through “a lot of drills” in the offseason and preseason. McKelvin also is playing with more confidence.

Amazing that former DB Coach George Catavolos was hired by Jauron and then retained by Gailey.

A cornerback who struggles tracking the ball practicing tracking the ball.

What a concept.

People must remember that leo was also high first round pick. In fact, I think he was the first cb drafted in his draft class. Gilmore was not.

Leo has been our best player in the secondary this year. I must give him credit.

People must remember that leo was also high first round pick. In fact, I think he was the first cb drafted in his draft class. Gilmore was not.

Leo has been our best player in the secondary this year. I must give him credit.

I don't see how it can make a difference to the individual drafted if there was 1 or 2....or zero players of his position drafted ahead of him. The best in one year might be worse than the 3rd best in the next year.

I'd like to add in this thread that it was IMO an excellent assessment from our new coaches & GM in regards to deciding to re-sign McKelvin......and we look to have gotten lucky. Had McKelvin learned in the previous 2 years to "get his head back around for the ball and play for the ball" we undoubtedly would not have been able to re-sign him for the $4.25m(average) that we got him for.

Gilmore's definitely a bit too "touchy and feely" for my tastes too.

Players like Ty Law and Charles Woodson play(ed) a similar style but you can play that style with impunity after you've got an established reputation.

Also I get that a player has to "play his game" but here's what I don't get:

Gilmore ran a sub 4.4 forty at the combine. With that kind of speed, why does he need to grab so much?

Gilmore has actually played well for the past 2 and a half games. He stepped it up in the second half against Atlanta, played very well, against TB, and had the game clinching INT against Jax. People don't seem to understand how hard it is to play CB with a bum wrist -- it really hampers a player. He's a good player, and I hope he continues to show his stuff the next two games. His wrist is steadily getting better.

Gilmore has actually played well for the past 2 and a half games. He stepped it up in the second half against Atlanta, played very well, against TB, and had the game clinching INT against Jax. People don't seem to understand how hard it is to play CB with a bum wrist -- it really hampers a player. He's a good player, and I hope he continues to show his stuff the next two games. His wrist is steadily getting better.

I know Gilmore's play has steadily improved and I expect him to have an excellent career.

I was commenting on the fact that I think that his personal technique includes a bit too much grabbing and tugging.

I know Gilmore's play has steadily improved and I expect him to have an excellent career.

I was commenting on the fact that I think that his personal technique includes a bit too much grabbing and tugging.

I concur. I am not as down on him. Just worried that he is too physical, esp in light of the recent rule changes.

It seems like forever ago, but McKelvin was also a high 1st round pick.

He always seemed to have great position/coverage on receivers, but for some reason just never TURNED HIS HEAD to make a play on the ball. It baffles me that it took 5 seasons for our coaching staff to help this click. He would have been a Pro Bowler 3-4 years ago.

It really makes me wonder what our previous coaches WERE DOING to help players get better. How many of our other busts would have developed properly, if they only got the proper coaching...

This kid deserves a ton of credit for how he's played. He's been incredible. He looks more confident than he ever has. He's always been able to stay step for step with anyone but couldn't locate the ball well enough to defense the pass. He is now locating the ball really well. He hits like a truck too. When we signed him to his new contract it seemed like a lot for a guy who was a great returner and an average corner. Well I am now ecstatic that they did make that deal because this scheme fit's his press man ability perfectly. He's even played better than Gilmore. Pairing him with Gilmore (once fully healthy and acclimated) and Robey at corner and Williams and Byrd (please sign him long term next year FO) at safety I think we could challenge Seattle for the best defensive backfield in the league.

He has got better coaching from the DC and the D Backs coach. (Henderson)

He always had the talent. Now we seeing the results. He has come a long way and I'm proud of him.

Now if he can just not fumble on punt returns....

He has got better coaching from the DC and the D Backs coach. (Henderson)

He always had the talent. Now we seeing the results. He has come a long way and I'm proud of him.

Now if he can just not fumble on punt returns....

It's too bad that this team isn't better.

If they were they wouldn't have to lean on McKelvin so heavily.

No players (except wideouts) run as much as do cornerbacks.

I wish that the Bills could mix in Jim Leon Hard a bit more often than they do.

Too often they're behind or in a close game and have McKelvin returning in the hopes of a big play.

It's too bad that this team isn't better.

If they were they wouldn't have to lean on McKelvin so heavily.

No players (except wideouts) run as much as do cornerbacks.

I wish that the Bills could mix in Jim Leon Hard a bit more often than they do.

Too often they're behind or in a close game and have McKelvin returning in the hopes of a big play.

Agree. I love the ability Leo has returning punts but it's gotten to the point where it's not worth the injury risk having him back there. Especially when all of his good returns get called backed because of penalties.

I would like to hear what Leodis has to say about his improved play.

It's mind blowing in so many different ways. Most significantly, Leodis has always been horrible at tracking the ball or playing the ball in the air. Now, it's like the best part of his game. What changed?

http://www.buffalobi...53-6d1ef9040377

McKelvin is arguably having the most complete season of his career, but he’s done it without a single interception, perhaps explaining why he’s under the radar. McKelvin said interceptions aren’t his number one focus.

“Interceptions, you know I want them to be there, but really my focus is…if I don’t catch it, they don’t catch it,” McKelvin said. “That’s how I’ve been going along with it. I really want the picks, I don’t want to be the only guy in the secondary without an interception.”

McKelvin said he isn’t worried. He hopes to have an interception to his name before the year is over.

“Like I said in time those interceptions are going to come, they’re going to come to me,” McKelvin said. “The quarterback’s going to give it to you, like I say as a corner I can have four picks a year, period. Not even being in the right place. I feel like the quarterback’s going to throw you four picks. And it’s been there, it’s been there, I’ve just got to come up with those interceptions and turnovers.”

McKelvin said he drew his strengthened confidence from an unlikely source — rookie players.

“It’s been me being able to step up. With these guys being younger than me, they’re looking at me as a role model, so I’ve got to step my game up,” McKelvin said. “So I told myself I would not go through it like I went through my first five years.”

After working with those rookies and fellow veterans on the team, McKelvin has reformed his game. Now winning his individual battles McKelvin’s remaining goal is to help make the team a winner as well.

“I’ve been here for so long, I’m just tired of like going home in December and things like that, feeling like I still want to play for the playoffs,” he said. “I really want to do it for my teammates, I love my guys I’m playing with in the secondary. That’s one reason I came back, and I just want to win really, truly.”

Here he is "mic'ed up at the Stealers game:

The big difference in his game is that when he tries to locate the ball he stays with the WR, in years past he would stay with the WR but couldn't make a play on the ball or when he tried to locate the ball he was burnt (or is it burned?) badly.

Leodis McKelvin shines for new Buffalo Bills coaches

Leodis McKelvin probably wasn't a first-round-worthy talent coming out of Troy State in the 2008 NFL draft, but the Buffalo Bills thought he was, so they picked him No. 11 overall.

And then for most of his first five years with the team, McKelvin did his best to keep western New York hair restoration businesses thriving because he literally made Bills' fans want to pull their hair out.

It looked as if McKelvin was just another in a populous group of Bills' first-rounders who didn't live up to the expectations the organization had for them.

So, when his original five-year rookie contract expired after 2012, the natural assumption was that the Bills would have no interest in bringing him back, especially since the new coach and general manager had no ties to the fleet but mistake-prone cornerback.

Instead, coach Doug Marrone, general manager Doug Whaley and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine studied the tape and determined that this was a player they needed in order to make Pettine's predominantly man-to-man coverage scheme work.

I strongly disagree with Sal's opening statement:

"Leodis McKelvin probably wasn't a first-round-worthy talent coming out of Troy State in the 2008 NFL draft, but the Buffalo Bills thought he was, so they picked him No. 11 overall."

Leodis was a consensus first round pick.

And he's always displayed the natural talent so IMO there's never been a time where he hasn't flashed his first round abilities. Leodis has twice been selected to the Pro Bowl as a return man. He has 3 punt returns for TDs, an INT return for a TD and a kick return for a TD. He's also had 4 other return TDs called back due to penalties.

It's obvious why Leodis was taken in the first round so Sal's way off here.

I wouldn't argue that he hasn't played like a first rounder but he was always considered a first rounder in the leadup to the 2008 NFL Draft and his talent has always been obvious.

Mckelvins deficiencies have been overblown by a lot of you IMO.

Much like Spiller now.

McKelvin has had elite athletic ability out of the gate, but the mistakes have been pointed out more than the plays he did make IMO. While bums like Drayton Florence missed most of the wrath.

#21 #28 and #13 are my guys all day.

Here's to the future.

Looking at the future I could see 21 being the only one around from that cast. He's delivered this season.

I strongly disagree with Sal's opening statement:

"Leodis McKelvin probably wasn't a first-round-worthy talent coming out of Troy State in the 2008 NFL draft, but the Buffalo Bills thought he was, so they picked him No. 11 overall."

Leodis was a consensus first round pick.

And he's always displayed the natural talent so IMO there's never been a time where he hasn't flashed his first round abilities. Leodis has twice been selected to the Pro Bowl as a return man. He has 3 punt returns for TDs, an INT return for a TD and a kick return for a TD. He's also had 4 other return TDs called back due to penalties.

It's obvious why Leodis was taken in the first round so Sal's way off here.

I wouldn't argue that he hasn't played like a first rounder but he was always considered a first rounder in the leadup to the 2008 NFL Draft and his talent has always been obvious.

Yeah, I also thought he was incorrect with that assessment.

The big difference in his game is that when he tries to locate the ball he stays with the WR, in years past he would stay with the WR but couldn't make a play on the ball or when he tried to locate the ball he was burnt (or is it burned?) badly.

peanuts on the head ! Think about it