Marrone defends EJ

TPS

So far EJ has failed to consistently make his mid-range throws. I don't think there is any point in blaming the Coach/OC.

If he fails to make that throw then either-

A. Work on it a lot in practice and get him to make it.

B. If he struggles with it figur eout what he does do better and draw up players that suit that.

Don't be an apologist. So far EJ looks like a guy who should not have been drafted...period. What potential have you seen? He has played scared in every game. Doesn't want to throw the ball down the field at all. Doesn't look like he has any confidence in his ability. And what presence have you seen? I have seen ZERO emotion from the guy other than when he threw the winner to Stevie against Carolina. Usually he is sitting on the bench looking at pics of the D and the playbook, and never engaging w his receivers.

The aura that Thad brought to the field in all his starts was 180 degrees different than EJ. He at least carries himself like an NFL QB.. At this point, I see more upside from Thad than EJ. Now that doen't mean he is our savior. But he has shown a lot more game than EJ. If you disagree, you have not been watching the Bills this year.

In the preseason and even first couple games EJ had that same 'moxy' you are saying Lewis had.

Now EJ for sure did not have it against Pitt. But the one thing everyone said/says about EJ is he has the 'it' factor.

Maybe Hackett and his inability to work with EJ has crushed some of EJ's confidence? Not sure. But i do think Hackett and EJ to this point have struggled to work well together,

EJ will not improve on his consistency without the experience gained through multiple game time reps.

His injuries have robbed him of valuable game time and have held his progression back.

He can't afford to miss any more games. The Bills can't afford for him to miss any more games.

This x 1,000,000.

I really wish everyone here would give the guy a chance. It's not like he's been checking down on every pass all year and we need to give EJ time to catch up to the speed of the NFL. Six games is not enough of a sample - and I don't want to hear about Wilson, Griffin, or Luck anymore. I think we all knew EJ wasn't going to have the success they did right away.

Geno Smith isn't lighting up the NFL - he's just being put in position to win games. He's made his mistakes, too, so let's not anoint Geno as the next Joe Montana and EJ as the next Ryan Leaf just yet.

Marone obviously does not believe winning a game this year is as important as developing EJ.

Why? EJ has been the QB for most of the wins. He's the best QB on the roster and the're developing him. They're not mutually exclusive.

As do I, but cant even begin to argue otherwise. Geno, while inconsistent has made quite a few NFL caliber throws. I think I can count on one hand the number of NFL throws EJ has made. Geno is fun to watch. You know he has the ability to light it up. EJ? Well, the next time he lights it up will be his 1st.

Marrone needs to evaluate this kid and let him play wide open the rest of the season. He needs to know if the kid has even an ounce of potential in this league. If he was wrong on EJ (I know I certainly was) he needs to take action sooner, rather than later.

My guess is EJ will be a career back-up QB. Yea, its early to say that but my god he just doesnt look like he belongs. I hope I can eat a lot of crow on that too, believe me.

NFL caliber throws? Would you like to quantify that for me please? Exactly what constitutes an "NFL Caliber Throw". Seems rather subjective to me. So was the TD pass to win the game that EJ threw an "NFL Caliber" throw? Geno Smith from what I have seen is very inconsistent, just like EJ. They both play like rookies, but the jury is still out on which one will be the better NFL QB. EJ has played five games, four and a half really. If you think that you can predict how good a QB will be with that small of a sample size, you are either a fool or an idiot. Either way you are wrong in thinking that. EJ has not played enough to evaluate how good he will be. Time will tell, but I for one have seen enough to remain encouraged by what I have seen.

So far EJ has failed to consistently make his mid-range throws. I don't think there is any point in blaming the Coach/OC.

Interesting. I make the opposite observation. I don't have any stats to back this up, but just from watching the games, it seems he is dead eye Dick on the mid range 15 - 25 yard pass. He seems to be much less consistent on short and long throws. According to nfl.com he has thrown 14 20+ yard passes.

Interesting. I make the opposite observation. I don't have any stats to back this up, but just from watching the games, it seems he is dead eye Dick on the mid range 15 - 25 yard pass. He seems to be much less consistent on short and long throws. According to nfl.com he has thrown 14 20+ yard passes.

Ugg.....I hate putting up stats that show negatives for our players but....

In the 11-20 yard range he has been 14-29-281 (48.3% completion).

In the 21-30 yard range he has been 3-8-59 (37.5% completion).

Personally I am not concerned with his accuracy at this range at this point. If I see him standing comfortably in the pocket yet still remaining inaccurate I will start to worry. At this point he appears(to me at least) to be very unsettled.

Towards the bottom of the page:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/15803/ej-manuel

I think the Bills intended to have EJ sit behind Kolb, at least initially. It turned out he clearly outplayed in the TC and the PS even before Kolb got hurt. But it is really hard for first year QBs in the NFL, and it is right for Marrone to defend him. EJ has a great presence, attitude, intelligence and willingness to learn. He has a nice throwing motion, although I don't think he is more of an athlete than a "natural" passer and he needs some time and reps plus the offseason work going into next year. He was always meant to be developed. I know fans don't like that as we have been waiting so long for the Bills to be good again. But there were 3 decent NFL QB propects in the draft last year and they took the one they thought would end up being the best in the long run. Everyone thinks they know more than the FO, but the scouts spend a hundred hours a week on this stuff, from film to practices to researching how the prepare, how the eat, on and on. We watch college highlight films and Sunday afternoons.

I think the Bills intended to have EJ sit behind Kolb, at least initially. It turned out he clearly outplayed in the TC and the PS even before Kolb got hurt. But it is really hard for first year QBs in the NFL, and it is right for Marrone to defend him. EJ has a great presence, attitude, intelligence and willingness to learn. He has a nice throwing motion, although I don't think he is more of an athlete than a "natural" passer and he needs some time and reps plus the offseason work going into next year. He was always meant to be developed. I know fans don't like that as we have been waiting so long for the Bills to be good again. But there were 3 decent NFL QB propects in the draft last year and they took the one they thought would end up being the best in the long run. Everyone thinks they know more than the FO, but the scouts spend a hundred hours a week on this stuff, from film to practices to researching how the prepare, how the eat, on and on. We watch college highlight films and Sunday afternoons.

The situation has had so many trials and tribulation in regard to how Whaley and Marrone wanted this season to play out.

Its been a hell of a plot twist for everyone.

We as fans have just stared reading the book . and its the first book by this author really.

Dont base the ending on any thing you have seen before .

Keep turning the page. Next chapter Jets part deux .

What did Bills learn from last game ?

I always have my popcorn ready this season .

Manuel has a shitton of potential. Lets let him age more gently. Makes for a better Scotch .