Ever want to see every pass play the Bills ran in a game?

jonramz

UPDATE: I diagramed every pass against the Jets as well... see below

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=414

So I really like the strategy aspect of football... and after watching Thad and Tuel throw the ball downfield w/ some effectiveness, I wanted to see why EJ wasn't doing the same.

Therefore I diagrammed every pass play the Bills called against the Steelers.

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=393

Things that I noticed were that there definitely were downfield throws that could have been made. EJ is not the best QB at throwing hooks/curls and still seems to need to see the guy open before he throws it. However, I think that he has the raw talent to be a good QB in the NFL.

Anyways, I thought it would be interesting to discuss...

-Jon

Edited by jonramz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play 13 gotta go... it has everybody stopping and turning at the same yard and distance. I know it's not accurate but if it is, then Hackett gotta go for even drawing up a simple play like that.

That play is one of the Bills favorites to run... they run it at least once or twice a game!

Dude, this is seriously awesome. You obviously put a ton of time into this too.

Thanks man, appreciate it!

Nice job. Did you do this using the all-22?

I did... tried to get a start w/ the regular broadcast, but just isn't possible

In that case we should just play backyard football and in the huddle, EJ should say, ok guys just get open. ..

haha, a lot of teams run all-curls well (saints are excellent at it)... we are just not one of them

Nice work Jon. I had a tough time deciphering your notes re. the distance of the passes attempted. Can you tell me how many passes were attempted over 15 yards and how many were in the 1-15 yd range? Thanks bro and this is really great work.

Sorry I did not record the "air yards" on any of the passes, but I can tell you that the vast majority were under 15 yards (prob 85% if I guessed off the top of my head). If I do it again, I'll try and record that info. Nickelcitybills.com does a chart like that I believe.

this is good - thanks

Bookmarked. Nice job!

thanks guys, appreciate it

Sorry I did not record the "air yards" on any of the passes, but I can tell you that the vast majority were under 15 yards (prob 85% if I guessed off the top of my head). If I do it again, I'll try and record that info. Nickelcitybills.com does a chart like that I believe.

This is what he is referring to: http://nickelcitybills.com/2013/11/12/ej-manuels-return-to-action-in-pittsburgh/

Great work with the charts!

kj

What are the notes at the top of most of the plays. Can you go through the order of each. I have an idea, but on some I see 3-10 and 1-10, so I assumed first down. But then some have 3-10, then 2-5. Just trying to see which ones where good and bad. Mostly to see if it is just my eye thinking that our passes from behind center are more effective, or if it is truth?