Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

This is what Colts coach Pagano said when they activated Rogers:

"You've got a talented football player," Pagano said, citing Rogers' size, speed and big-play ability. "Now we are going to give him an opportunity because he's earned it."

Although Rogers failed to endear himself to the Bills coaching staff before his late August release, Pagano noted that he's already picked up the Colts offense by arriving early and staying late since landing in Indianapolis two months ago.

Too bad the Bills did not exercise more patience with the guy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the other 31 teams who said no thanks

Or maybe they watched him play, thought he sucked, didn't show he cared enough to improve, couldn't block, couldn't play ST, run a route, or remember plays, and cut him.

Then I guess they were wrong. His performance yesterday pretty much speaks for itself. 100 yards and 2 TDs. Taking a slant 69 yards to the house while breaking tackles. yeah..he sucks.

Edited by dubs

It amazes me the Bills reporters who I've heard criticize Rogers; Chris Brown, Sal Capaccio, John Murphy & Mark Kelso. The one thing they all have in common is the fact that they are on the Bills payroll. I believe Capaccio is a WGR employee, but no doubt his over optimism helps him sell the Bills product that WGR has invested in since becoming the Bills radio broadcast partner.

There's another thread on yes men, and I believe all 4 of these men fit that definition of a yes man.

Having said that when was the last time anyone of else felt strong about the competence of anyone employed at One Bills Drive?

So no, I'm not buying into the fact Rogers wasn't worth at least a spot on the roster about Hogan. To me this team has long been short on potential & long on character.

I think the Bills missed on Rogers, like a QB, WRs take a season or 2 to develop. Moulds & Stevie both a breakout seasons in year 3. Rogers does have the best young QB in the league throwing to him which helps; but I find it insane that Rogers gets destroyed by guys like Chris Brown who even said things like the guy has ADD. If that's the case get him help, sit him down, it's obvious the guy can play, what he needed was support & the Bills were too short-sighted to provide that help.

Edited by NFL95MelGrayDomination

Then I guess they were wrong. His performance yesterday pretty much speaks for itself. 100 yards and 2 TDs. Taking a slant 69 yards to the house while breaking tackles. yeah..he sucks.

They evaluated him in TC over the summer. You evaluated him catching passes from Andrew Luck for 3 hours in week 14.

And the other 31 teams who said no thanks

Or maybe they watched him play, thought he sucked, didn't show he cared enough to improve, couldn't block, couldn't play ST, run a route, or remember plays, and cut him.

Are you listening to yourself? HE WAS ON THE PRACTICE SQUAD. What in the world do we have to risk by keeping him there?!

He was obviously a "project" due to what happened to him in college. No one expected him to be jerry rice coming into the league. But being a project, theres a risk/reward. The potential reward is high and the risk is low. What dont you get about that?

This is what Colts coach Pagano said when they activated Rogers:

"You've got a talented football player," Pagano said, citing Rogers' size, speed and big-play ability. "Now we are going to give him an opportunity because he's earned it."

Although Rogers failed to endear himself to the Bills coaching staff before his late August release, Pagano noted that he's already picked up the Colts offense by arriving early and staying late since landing in Indianapolis two months ago.

Too bad the Bills did not exercise more patience with the guy.

I'm confused with that quote as they activated him for a Colts game previously. So they gave him an opportunity already.

They evaluated him in TC over the summer. You evaluated him catching passes from Andrew Luck for 3 hours in week 14.

Not true. I've been saying this since the minute he got cut. I thought it was a shortsighted and boneheaded move. At the time I didn't have anything to back it up. Now in his first game that he's actually received a target, he caught 6 balls for over 100 yards and 2 TDs.

Edited by dubs

Are you listening to yourself? HE WAS ON THE PRACTICE SQUAD. What in the world do we have to risk by keeping him there?!

He was obviously a "project" due to what happened to him in college. No one expected him to be jerry rice coming into the league. But being a project, theres a risk/reward. The potential reward is high and the risk is low. What dont you get about that?

I just don't see the extreme outrage. He is not the first or the last guy to be cut from a team and then have a good game with another team who picked him up. Happens a lot. Maybe he will turn out to be good long term, hope he does turn it around. Not worth the extreme outrage. JMO.

Da'Rick Rogers has opportunity to help Colts' offense

With Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Allen out for the season, the Indianapolis Colts' lack of firepower was abundantly evident in Sunday's 38-8 blowout loss to the Rams.

The coaching staff moved to address that need for a playmaker on Monday, elevating enigmatic wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers from the practice squad.

Although Rogers is no sure bet to be active for Thursday's game versus the Titans, coach Chuck Pagano hinted Tuesday that the gifted rookie will given a chance to compete for a significant role down the stretch.

Ahh, ok, makes sense now. Thanks.

From the 1st post of the thread.

I think too many times coaches and front offices can outthink themselves. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to handle this situation correctly. Let's break it down, starting from training camp:

1) The Bills were in full re-build mode, we were not winning anything this year.

2) New coaching staff and new FO (mostly) will have a few years to get this together

3) While the Bills went into the season with some weapons on offense, what we didn't have was a big, physical receiver. The holy grail of non-QB offensive players

4) We picked up an extremely gifted WR that fits a role we don't have. He's beyond raw.

5) In the NFL, there's this thing called the practice squad, where you can stash players that don't make the active squad. This is primarily for developing a few young players that aren't ready for prime time. Think the NFL equivalent of MLB's AAA.

6) In keeping Rogers on the PS, you risk NOTHING!! If he acts up, if he is lazy, if he gets in trouble, if he's so dumb he can't read the playbook, if he trips over the sideline and hurts his knee, you can CUT him.

7) In the regular season, he will have more time to get accustomed to how the NFL works, witness the veterans and see what it's like to be a professional, get better coaching than the University of Tennessee A&M State College or wherever he went. If he can't pick it up, CUT him.

What happened though is the coaches and front office over thought it and decided they couldn't send that message to the rest of the team. In my opinion, that's more of an indictment on the FO and coaches than anything else. If you are worried that the team is going to get distracted or influenced by a practice squad guy who could get cut at any minute and has never played a down in the NFL, then you've got huge problems.

Wholeheartedly agree with you. An undrafted guy on the PS has no juice in the locker room to influence anyone. In a rebuild it was the perfect opportunity. To me letting Rogers walk is perhaps the most maddening decision of this past year. You can find a Chris Hogan type talent anywhere but Da'Rick Rogers talents don't grow on trees.

So the colts lost by 20 right ? Way to go Da'rick !

Another one got away. Boo hoo.

Undrafted legend, we are doomed.

What does the colts losing have anything to do with rogers? Does he play defense? Or did he fumble on the final drive? Rogers had a better game than any of our WR have had all season.

You joke about being doomed, yet here we are en route to another top 10 pick.

Lets keep doing what we do as a franchise. We got it all figured out.

What does the colts losing have anything to do with rogers? Does he play defense? Or did he fumble on the final drive? Rogers had a better game than any of our WR have had all season.

You joke about being doomed, yet here we are en route to another top 10 pick.

Lets keep doing what we do as a franchise. We got it all figured out.

Da'rick Rogers was the key to success!! We missed out, it was that easy !

Sorry it's that serious bobo.