David Nelson: Found out on Twitter that Bills released him

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nelson was always overrated by the fans in Buffalo. He is a great guy, very good hands, but he was never better than a 4th or 5th wideout and fared much better when they could play him as a 4th wideout/extra tight end, getting mismatches with LBs and dime backs.. I am glad he has a job and is contributing, but I would not bet on him making the Jets roster next year. He was a stop gap due to injury problems and the fact that the Jets went into the year weak at the position to begin with. This is something they will likely address next year.

I think you undersell Nelson a bit, but maybe I am one of the Nelson homers.

If you put Nelson with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, he catches like 10 balls a game. He's a very solid possession receiver.

If you put Nelson with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, he catches like 10 balls a game. He's a very solid possession receiver.

I disagree... He tried out with the Pats* earlier this year and didn't get an offer. He produced in 2011 and then tore his acl. That robs players of athleticism which he didn't have too much of to begin with (on an NFL player scale that is).

You sure do love certain players though. At least you got Moorman and his 1 yard punt back on the team :nana:

I disagree... He tried out with the Pats* earlier this year and didn't get an offer. He produced in 2011 and then tore his acl. That robs players of athleticism which he didn't have too much of to begin with (on an NFL player scale that is).

You sure do love certain players though. At least you got Moorman and his 1 yard punt back on the team :nana:

haha. Yeah, I have some pretty irrational love for some players. Terrance McGee, probably more than anyone else.

But on Nelson, I am more ambivalent. I thought he was just solid as anything for us. His injury probably played a role in him getting cut from the Pats--but I would suspect they would love to him back now that he seems to have recovered. A big tall guy, who can get open over the middle, with nice hands. Seems like Brady's dream.

Oh, and btw, it was a 2-yard punt. :D

Wasn't it the Browns? Or was it both....

haha. Yeah, I have some pretty irrational love for some players. Terrance McGee, probably more than anyone else.

But on Nelson, I am more ambivalent. I thought he was just solid as anything for us. His injury probably played a role in him getting cut from the Pats--but I would suspect they would love to him back now that he seems to have recovered. A big tall guy, who can get open over the middle, with nice hands. Seems like Brady's dream.

Oh, and btw, it was a 2-yard punt. :D

Normally I would give you crap about 1 yard difference but when it is a matter of doubling the total I understand the correction :D . I just don't think he has it anymore. Buffalo didn't sign him, Clevelnd cut him in the preseason, and the Pats* brought him in for a look but didn't sign him (when they had nobody to throw to).

I think this had more to do with the Bills knowing they would be going with a couple of receivers in the draft and the numbers game not working out for Nelson. The numbers game did work for him in NY as the Jets needed warm bodies.

Wasn't it the Browns? Or was it both....

See above.

Cut from Browns in preseason. Looked at by the Cheats but not signed. It was Donald Jones (another TBD favorite) that was "cut" from the Cheats. Although it was actually a retirement due to kidney disease.

Edited by section122

I think this had more to do with the Bills knowing they would be going with a couple of receivers in the draft and the numbers game not working out for Nelson.

This I think we can agree on. My impression was that the Bills wanted to go a radically different way on receivers, and get really fast, really athletic, and really young. So out go Nelson, Roosevelt, and Jones, and in come Woods, Goodwin, and Graham.

This I think we can agree on. My impression was that the Bills wanted to go a radically different way on receivers, and get really fast, really athletic, and really young. So out go Nelson, Roosevelt, and Jones, and in come Woods, Goodwin, and Graham.

Which I think is an upgrade. Woods and Goodwin have impressed me this year. Hopefully they continue to impress!

I am not so sure about that, but we can agree to disagree. I was a fan when when he was here. :thumbsup: