Lest we forget......

CBF .. Amen.

Last week a question arose as to whether a thank you for your service meant anything to those who hear it. It does. The following is a cut and paste from a vet in my church's men's group. Ron says it well:

Hello friends:

The link below is to a story from NPR I heard on the radio five years ago. I've played in every year since. I can't get through it without being moved again. It is short and think you'll be glad you listened. The link is to "Morning Edition," and you have to scroll down to see the specific link to this story, "Going Home."

As you may or may not know, in 1967 I was issued orders, as a 1st Lieutenant In the Army, to proceed to Oakland, CA, for deployment as a company commander in an infantry regiment in Vietnam. Just prior to my departure from Fort Gordon in Georgia, my orders were countermanded and I was sent to Germany, where I spent two years at the headquarters of the European Command, stationed in Heidelberg. I am glad, of course, that I didn't have to go to Vietnam, but I am proud of my service time, and am still not happy with friends who lied and cheated their way out of service. Several of my friends went to Vietnam, and all came home, except for Dave Wax, who I did K-12 with in Brookline. He was a pilot who was shot down and killed over Hanoi. His name is on the Vietnam Memorial “Black Wall” in Washington, with the 58,285 others. Two years ago when I was in Washington for a reunion with some college friends, I went to the Wall, and traced his name with my fingers....

I came home to Boston in 1969, quietly put away my uniform, and moved to Michigan to start my teaching career. No one thanked us for our service then, and we didn't talk about it much. I am glad that people thank us for our service now and don't blame those of us who served our country for the bad policies, and arguably unnecessary wars, of our government.

Anyhow, take 3 ½ minutes on this Veterans Day and listen to Lt Brandt on his journey home over 40 years ago.

Peace,

RW

A friend of mine in my grad school program was talking about getting his free meal and meeting up with some friends for dinner. I noticed he was still at his desk so I asked him what happened and he said everyone bailed on him so he was just gonna have a beer in his apartment and have leftovers.

I couldn't allow that so I made him get his coat and got him a burger and beer tonight. The least I could do for someone that sacrificed so much

A friend of mine in my grad school program was talking about getting his free meal and meeting up with some friends for dinner. I noticed he was still at his desk so I asked him what happened and he said everyone bailed on him so he was just gonna have a beer in his apartment and have leftovers.

I couldn't allow that so I made him get his coat and got him a burger and beer tonight. The least I could do for someone that sacrificed so much

Well done Cap! :thumbsup:

Thank you vets. With the board messed up and my phone acting retarded...user maybe? I could swear there would have been a more noticeable and prominent thread. I had tried to open this at work today while on the cell and could not but either way I hope this is not a sign of the times that we forget what we are thankful for...argh.

Class act Captain!

Am late to the thread, just sold the house & got the little one back home from hospital, again. As a kid growing up I can remember Poppy Day, ANZAC day, MS Read-a-thon & Jump Rope for Heart days. There now seems a "day" for every organisation, charity or fund raiser. Whilst great in their own way, all pale to the simplicity & inverse magnitude of buying a poppy & stopping for a minute silence on the 11th min, 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month & hearing the last post to end that minute, inspiring. Thankyou.

I work across from a VA facility and as a result there is a lot of negative talk about veterans (particularly viet nam vets). People often refer to veterans as alcoholics or drug addicts In the last few years I have taken to wearing a viet nam war veteran baseball hat from time to time as a viet nam vet to show that we are active members of the community and to show allegiance with the vets who are treated kind of like pariahs. I get a lot of surprise from people who didn't think I was the "type" to be a viet nam vet.

Anyway I was at watching the Bills game last week and chatting with a younger guy at the bar through the game and he thanked me for my service. When I left the bartender advised me that the guy had paid for my lunch. Nice touch. I'm going to have to wear that hat more often.

I always thank folks in uniform for their service, and sometimes point out I was a veteran myself. Pisses me off when they ask me which war though....