"Obviously" or Not

patfitz

I have listened to all Doug Marrone's press conferences and sound bites since the preseason and I detected one intriguing point, the more the word "obviously" occurs in his comments, the worse the Bills' performance, for example after today's game "Head Coach Doug Marrone: Obviously I really thought we didn’t play well today. I think that’s obvious. I think early on in the game we had a turnover. We go down there. We have to settle for three points. It seems like that’s a theme. It’s something we’ve talked about before. We tried to change some things up in that area of the field. Obviously we were 50 percent on it. I think early on in the game you have to score. You have to try to get those seven points going. I think Pittsburgh, offensively, they did a nice job on third down. I thought they kept the chains moving at a pretty good pace. They had some big plays that caught us, big chunk plays that put us in a tough situation. I think that’s what happened on defense. I think the wind obviously was a tough wind out there, nothing that none of us have been used to before. Some of those punts and things that were low – they got some yardage there on us. Offensively, I thought we could have run the ball better at times. That’s what we needed to do. Obviously we had a drop here or there".

This is a 4 score obviously that resulted in the worst performance this season. A win = .5 "obviously" amd a close loss around 1 "obviously". So without even knowing the final score I could accurately determine the outcome by counting the "obviously". Try it for yourself and see if it works. That leads me to wonder maybe what the Bills HC really either believes or understands is far less than "obvious".

Marrone sounds like an idiot when he talks. His injury reports are the best, "SJ has a groin, Woods a hamstring...someone else a knee.....". If he is this lazy in press conferences, it makes me wonder if he sounds this disinterested when talking to the team.

Edited by RyanC883

This reminds me of when Flutie played for us and you knew we whether had won or lost by counting the "I's" and "we's" in his postgame interviews. If he said "I did this" a lot, it was a win. If instead he tended to say "we did that," it was a loss. You could take it to the bank. Every week.

Edited by BRH

Marrone sounds like an idiot when he talks. His injury reports are the best, "SJ has a groin, Woods a hamstring...someone else a knee.....". If he is this lazy in press conferences, it makes me wonder if he sounds this disinterested when talking to the team.

Talking to the press for head coaches is probably a lot like talking to the in-laws or your annoying coworker for most people. You don't always want to. But you're required to. So you do it and get it over with.

I think early on in the game you have to score. You have to try to get those seven points going.

And you kicked a 19-yard FG in the 1st quarter...

I thought Marrone was just a giant BSer from the start, and he's surpassed my expectations. I suspect his constant faux positivity and hard 'work' blather like a college coach doesn't work at this level, either