Same Old Bills

I like Whaley and don't think he is the problem. I just think this will take time. We have a few players to build around, but it's not going to happen overnight like many of us would hope. The real question is do we have the proper staff in place to lead this team? I like Pettine, but am not sold on Marrone or his buddies on the offensive side of the staff. Look at what the Jets are getting out of Geno. You cannot tell me coaching has not played a main role in his developement thus far. They need to cut the cord and let EJ play football to see if he has it or not.

Play up to better teams.

Play down to average to bad teams.

Losing many close games.

Poor performance from the head coach - time management, reviews, 4th down strategy (punt/go for it)

Poor offensive playcalling

Poor QB play

Last in the division

Out of the playoffs by early Nov.

*Fools gold*

Was Dick Jauron on the sideline today? OMG that was dreadful.

Funny thing is that I almost didnt recognize DM on the sidelines as he was wearing a hat and an actual jacket.

CBF

It took a horrible performance by Tuel to cost the Bills the game in Cleveland. Contrary to what people want to believe, Thad played mostly bad football as well. TJack is a quality backup on the cheap, that is why he is a backup to one of the league's best QB's for one of it's best run organizations. Kevin Kolb is an utter POS. Handed starting opportunities time and again, the man never even threw 10 TD passes in a single season. The absolute laughingstock QB of the entire NFL and the Bills brought him here. Poor backup QB play has cost the Bills at least 2 and possibly 3 wins. It is no mistake that the team has imploded since Manuel got hurt in that Cleveland game. Facts are facts, check the record since that point.

Fair enough.... But I still think Tarvaris Jackson was never going to improve the situation in any way. I don't have an answer beyond the additional bad QB decisions though, so keeping the guy couldn't possibly have made things worse...

This was the first heme this season that made me think same ol bills. D sucked, O sucked, STs sucked, QB play sucked, WRs sucked, line sucked, rb's sucked, coaching sucked, play calling sucked... I was a complete team effort.

:)

He looks like he has aged about 10 years since he was hired. Bad QB play will do that.

I said the same thing when I watched the presser. Gailey had that same look as well. But Gailey WAS old to begin with.

I like Whaley and don't think he is the problem. I just think this will take time. We have a few players to build around, but it's not going to happen overnight like many of us would hope. The real question is do we have the proper staff in place to lead this team? I like Pettine, but am not sold on Marrone or his buddies on the offensive side of the staff. Look at what the Jets are getting out of Geno. You cannot tell me coaching has not played a main role in his developement thus far. They need to cut the cord and let EJ play football to see if he has it or not.

It's hard to discern whether Whaley is part of the solution or problem at this point. He was Buddy's top personnel deputy for a few years during some bad drafts, particularly high picks. Their UFA acquisitions have been fairly hit or miss and pro personnel is Whaley's thing.

Mediocre to average drafting teams have no hope in the modern NFL. You can't spend your way out of the basement and being only average on draft day means you're digging a hole that few, if any teams get out of. The jury is out as much on Whaley as it is Marrone, Manuel, and of course, Mr Smithers himself, Russ Brandon.

This was the first game this year I mailed it in on and turned it off early. You're right - same sick feeling from years past...

I did as well. Byrd set them up nice at the start. They had a chance to take control of the game early and they blew it. I never heard a home crowd so quite at the beginning of the game.

Last week they should have won and I think it took alot out of the teams mojo.

It was a bad decision because the Bills went out and signed the most injury-prone journeyman QB available, Kolb. They thought he was a better backup option than T Jack, and they were wrong. How predictable was it that Kolb got injured? He even injured himself in camp by slipping on a mat. Once Kolb was injured, the team was scrambling to find a suitable backup. T Jack threw for over 3,000 yards in 12 starts with Seattle in 2011, was better suited for the Bills offense, has been much more durable than Kolb and would have been a more experienced mentor for EJ. The Bills created their own problem here.

Could not of said it better myself. Cutting T Jack when they did was a foolish decision & made no sense. It even makes less sense today seeing how the season has played out.

The more disgusting thing that is already being discused is where the Bills will draft in next seasons draft. 6th is what I heard we should be talking playoffs not draft picks this time of year. What a disgrace

I think that the Bills will probably end up drafting higher than 6th. Their fate is in their hands - if they lose to Atlanta and Tampa (a better team than the record shows), then they'll move up to 4 or 5. If they win those games, then they'll drop to their usual slot between 8 and 11. That's the perfect spot for drafting a blue chip DB. The top QBs and receivers will be off the board by then. Incidentally, while I think they should obviously grab a blue chip QB if one is available, it won't happen. Whaley is heavily invested in EJ's success. He was his biggest fan. He was the Bills guy dissing Barkley's workout because of his arm strength, and he was the guy lauding EJ's practice performance in a windy, rainy setting prior to the draft. I strongly suspect that he's not going to be able to admit to himself that he may well have drafted a bust after just one year.