Common Courtesy

VABills

I thought the norm was that the opposing party stopped campaigning during the convenstions. I know GWB and Cheney basically took vacations and didn't make any public appearances during the DNC.

Yet Edwards and Kerry seemed to have continued stumping this week.

Comments, insight please?

I thought the norm was that the opposing party stopped campaigning during the convenstions. I know GWB and Cheney basically took vacations and didn't make any public appearances during the DNC.

15966[/snapback]

I think that has been the norm, but with the advent of the "Truth Squads," or rapid-response teams (started with Clinton?) these formalities and any semblance of a gentlemanly battle of ideas have gone out the window.

I do think some of the charges being levelled at Kerry are so egregious that he has to remain out there defending himself and fighting back, but then again I'm voting for him.

15966[/snapback]

Keeping silent during the other guy's convention only became a "tradition" with the advent of TV and it was never done out of common courtesy. The reasons for it were tactical. During the convention, the other party has the national spotlight, you do not want to focus any more attention on them than they are already getting. On top of that, every thing you say during that week will be pilloried by them during the convention. You would just be giving them fresh ammunition. While you are campaigning, you will be asked about every nasty thing they said about you the night before which basically serves as an echo chamber for their charges. Historically, candidates really were chosen at the conventions, especially the VP's. You would not want to be seen as trying to sway the other party in to picking one guy over another.

This year, as in most years, there is an incumbent. Even though he might not have actively campaigned, Bush didn't stop being President during the Democratic convention. He was still in the news on a daily basis. I think Kerry's decision to keep on plugging was basically a tactical one. He is a Senator running against an incumbent in war time. The campaign may very well turn on voter turn out because it is so close. It was probably a good idea on the whole to keep going.

Not judging here guys, but it seems like the whole Kerry campaign is not following normal decorum.

First it is customary to resign if you are in office usually at the time you accept the nomination.

Now the normal stoppping of campaigning as a courtesy isn't happening.

Why? "No quarter asked, No quarter given"

With all the fear shilling and demagoguery going on at the RNC, I guess they (DNC) got to fight on? People will buy into the hype and make poor choices. For some people there is a lot more to worry about than being a victim of terrorism.

And don't give me that BS about race AD, I live in an area that is 50 to 90% minority... There is no fear here. Leave that (fear) to the people who think they have something more important.

Not judging here guys, but it seems like the whole Kerry campaign is not following normal decorum. 

First it is customary to resign if you are in office usually at the time you accept the nomination. 

16010[/snapback]

What there are rules? Didn't the British try and tell the enemy during the French and Indian War to fight in nice neat lines?

Your are trying to put "honor" in a profession that has no "honor".

What would you have done during the 1884 election?

WTF?

Yeah...a damned shame it's all one-sided...  :w00t:

16035[/snapback]

I never said that both don't do it. The Republicans just do it better and more professionally. They have an "E Ride" ticket to mainstream America.

When will people realize that terror is created to destablize things, especially the financial sectors. The hardliners are falling right into their hands... It keeps the fight alive.

We all get together and sing "Kumbaya" with the Republicans and we feed right into the enemies hands... All they know is power vs power.

I am not saying we don't remain vigilant, getting everybody in a "SpitBall" tizzy is counterproductive.

16010[/snapback]

Got history books? Read them.

Just off the top of my head, and just since 1960, for non-incumbents (i.e., neither sitting presidents nor vice presidents):

1960:

Sen. John F. Kennedy accepts presidential nomination, does not resign

Sen. Lyndon Johnson accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

1964:

Sen. Barry Goldwater accepts presidential nomination, does not resign

Rep. Bill Miller accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

1968:

Sen. Ed Muskie accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

Gov. Spiro Agnew accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

1972:

Sen. George McGovern accepts presidential nomination, does not resign

1976:

Gov. Jimmy Carter accepts presidential nomination, does not resign

Sen. Walter Mondale accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

Sen. Bob Dole accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

1980:

Neither Reagan nor Bush was in office at the time they accepted their nominations.

1984:

Rep. Geraldine Ferraro accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

1988:

Gov. Michael Dukakis accepts presidential nomination, does not resign

Sen. Lloyd Bentsen accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

Sen. Dan Quayle accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

1992:

Gov. Bill Clinton accepts presidential nomination, does not resign

Sen. Al Gore accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

1996:

Sen. Bob Dole accepts presidential nomination, resigns

Jack Kemp was not in office when he accepted the VP nomination

2000:

Sen. Joe Lieberman accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

Gov. George Bush accepts presidential nomination, does not resign

Dick Cheney was not in office when he accepted the VP nomination

2004:

Sen. John Kerry accepts presidential nomination, does not resign

Sen. John Edwards accepts vice presidential nomination, does not resign

That's 44 years spanning 12 presidential elections and 22 candidates who sat in either the House or the Senate, or in the governor's office, and only ONE resigned his seat. Tradition my ass.

Why don't you go find some more wild unsupported accusations to hurl around, or did Zell Miller use all of them last night?

16010[/snapback]

Actually you are judging quite a bit. You are deciding what is normal, what is courteous, what is decorous and what is customary.

As I tried to point out, it was never a matter of courtesy but tactics to keep a low profile during the other guy's convention.

As for Senators resigning their Senate seat when the nomination is accepted, that is not at all the norm. Monroe became President 23 years after his Senate career ended. JQ Adams, 17 years; Jackson, 4 years; Van Buren, 9 years; W.Harrison, 13 years; Tyler, 5 years; Pierce, 9 years; Buchanan, 12 years; Johnson, 10 years; B.Harrison, 2 years; Nixon, 16 years. I don't think LBJ gave up his Senate seat as he was a Senator until 1961, even after he was VP elect. I believe Truman did the same thing as he was still a Senator in 1945 and the election was in 1944. I am not sure about JFK. Harding was a Senator until 1921 and the election was in 1920 so he apparently remained a Senator even while he was President-elect.

We learn from those lapses... Dosen't mean throw the baby out with the bath water and invade a country that has no ties to the disaster...

Ya?  Next time I get cut off on the road, I think I will go home and kick the cat?

:wacko:

16090[/snapback]

That cat gassed his own kittens and was worse than Hitler's cat. So that makes it okay. :w00t:

As for Senators resigning their Senate seat when the nomination is accepted, that is not at all the norm.  Monroe became President 23 years after his Senate career ended.  JQ Adams, 17 years; Jackson, 4 years; Van Buren, 9 years; W.Harrison, 13 years; Tyler, 5 years; Pierce, 9 years; Buchanan, 12 years; Johnson, 10 years; B.Harrison, 2 years; Nixon, 16 years.  I don't think LBJ gave up his Senate seat as he was a Senator until 1961, even after he was VP elect.  I believe Truman did the same thing as he was still a Senator in 1945 and the election was in 1944.  I am not sure about JFK.  Harding was a Senator until 1921 and the election was in 1920 so he apparently remained a Senator even while he was President-elect.

16118[/snapback]

So between Mickey and I, we've pretty much debunked that accusation with, oh, say, about 200 years of history.

The only thing I'd point out is that FDR, not Truman, was elected in 1944 -- and Truman, as FDR's veep, succeeded him after his death in 1945. I do believe Truman didn't resign his seat while he was FDR's veep candidate, though.

Bush is always on vacation so the fact that he took another one during the Dem convention was purely a coincidence.  :wacko:  :w00t:

16252[/snapback]

On vacation? How dare you suggest that! He's busy! He's working on a lot of things! Karen Hughes is coming over! They're working on, um, working on some initiatives! You'll see! You'll see! Now watch this drive.

Why?  "No quarter asked, No quarter given"

With all the fear shilling and demagoguery going on at the RNC, I guess they (DNC) got to fight on?  People will buy into the hype and make poor choices.  For some people there is a lot more to worry about than being a victim of terrorism.

And don't give me that BS about race AD,  I live in an area that is 50 to 90% minority... There is no fear here.  Leave that (fear) to the people who think they have something more important.

16014[/snapback]

I was listening to the news on the radio this morning and it was filled with democrats asking for quarters. I think I counted up about $3.75 worth. There was actually a sound bite from Edwards saying he thought there was too much rhetoric at the convention, it was "over the top" and should be stopped.

I know the dems would never have a speaker saying things like Bush betrayed his country and the trust the people (cough Gore cough cough). That would be over the top.