Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

This is going to be twisted six ways to Sunday and then poached and served over easy that morning. Incognito is a prick... so what. There are lots of personalities in the NFL. The media selectively chooses who to baste and who to bask. No one mentions how Newton comes off I. Charlotte. Steve Smith or others, as well. But Newton is diva and Smith a megalomaniac self righteous guy. Neither are bad people but both have had numerous troubles in their personal life. A bigger example of the personal lives of NFL players is AP. The leagues MVP seems to be running the same course of McNair.

I am sure Incognito is not fully innocent but where did everyone else find themselves? Bullies are empowered by the environment and victim. Why didn't either stand up? Is it safe to assume there is a larger issue here at play with regard to Martin that is not being mentioned? I believe so...

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be twisted six ways to Sunday and then poached and served over easy that morning. Incognito is a prick... so what. There are lots of personalities in the NFL. The media selectively chooses who to baste and who to bask. No one mentions how Newton comes off I. Charlotte. Steve Smith or others, as well. But Newton is diva and Smith a megalomaniac self righteous guy. Neither are bad people but both have had numerous troubles in their personal life. A bigger example of the personal lives of NFL players is AP. The leagues MVP seems to be running the same course of McNair.

I am sure Incognito is not fully innocent but where did everyone else find themselves? Bullies are empowered by the environment and victim. Why didn't either stand up? Is it safe to assume there is a larger issue here at play with regard to Martin that is not being mentioned? I believe so...

i guess, im not 100% sure where you are trying to get to with this. sure there are a lot of terrible people in the NFL.... and in this case it seems like people that shouldve drawn the line probably looked the other way.

heck, philbin has incognito in on his "leadership council" or whatever you want to call it. it was an organizational failure centered around a guy that was a bad egg and it seems like he was surrounded by plenty of other people with their own issues. trading for mckinney, pounceys stuff, and who knows what of the drug abuse and suicide claims with regards to martin are actually true... it seems like the dolphins arent vetting guys very well as long as they show up sunday..... but that doesnt excuse incognito if the basic accusations are true.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24186392/dolphins-harassment-case-text-from-incognito-to-martin-used-racial-slur

"Among the texts that Jonathan Martin made available to his parents, and then, eventually the Dolphins and the NFL, include those in which Richie Incognito refers to Martin, who is biracial, as a "half-n*****," according to a source who was privy to the communication.

There are several instances of threats as well, the sources said, and overall disturbing exchanges, including one in which Incognito refers to defecating in Martin's mouth.

Incognito also made reference to tracking down members of Martin's family and harming them in the texts as well, according to a source."

Edited by NoSaint

i guess, im not 100% sure where you are trying to get to with this. sure there are a lot of terrible people in the NFL.... and in this case it seems like people that shouldve drawn the line probably looked the other way.

heck, philbin has incognito in on his "leadership council" or whatever you want to call it. it was an organizational failure centered around a guy that was a bad egg and it seems like he was surrounded by plenty of other people with their own issues. trading for mckinney, pounceys stuff, and who knows what of the drug abuse and suicide claims with regards to martin are actually true... it seems like the dolphins arent vetting guys very well as long as they show up sunday..... but that doesnt excuse incognito if the basic accusations are true.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24186392/dolphins-harassment-case-text-from-incognito-to-martin-used-racial-slur

"Among the texts that Jonathan Martin made available to his parents, and then, eventually the Dolphins and the NFL, include those in which Richie Incognito refers to Martin, who is biracial, as a "half-n*****," according to a source who was privy to the communication.

There are several instances of threats as well, the sources said, and overall disturbing exchanges, including one in which Incognito refers to defecating in Martin's mouth.

Incognito also made reference to tracking down members of Martin's family and harming them in the texts as well, according to a source."

just that this whole story is full of a lot of odd behavior. If someone is attacking me with words then I am not going to just show my parents at some point or my employer. That's just one small part. It is a very odd story. Where was the rest of the team? Did Martin make this a big deal and drama over nothing??

just that this whole story is full of a lot of odd behavior. If someone is attacking me with words then I am not going to just show my parents at some point or my employer. That's just one small part. It is a very odd story. Where was the rest of the team? Did Martin make this a big deal and drama over nothing??

allegedly he complained back in the spring i had heard. we will see, im sure more and more will continue to come out.

Both Martin's parents are Harvard educated lawyers, so they might just be the best people to show the evidence to.

Did Martin make this a big deal and drama over nothing??

First of all, how is it nothing? Racial epithets and threats of violence?

Secondly, it's not like Martin was trying to make this a big deal. It seems like he'd been bottling it up, still showing up on sundays, and taking the abuse for some time now. Eventually, enough was enough.

I think it's a big deal. It's workplace harassment that could easily escalate into some serious workplace violence between two mentally fragile individuals in an environment that is without leadership or management that is respected. That will end badly without it being stopped.

That being said, Martin will never play for the Dolphins again and Incognito is probably out of the league.

I don't know what you do with Martin at this point if you're the Dolphins. Perhaps it's a sunk cost in a draft pick and you move on.

I think it's a big deal. It's workplace harassment that could easily escalate into some serious workplace violence between two mentally fragile individuals in an environment that is without leadership or management that is respected. That will end badly without it being stopped.

That being said, Martin will never play for the Dolphins again and Incognito is probably out of the league.

I don't know what you do with Martin at this point if you're the Dolphins. Perhaps it's a sunk cost in a draft pick and you move on.

they almost certainly have to welcome him back with open arms and hope he reassimilates. short of him asking to be let go, they have to embrace him and hope it works out for atleast the balance of this year, and likely next (even if his play is lackluster theyd be in a tough spot to cut ties)

http://mweb.cbssport...sed-racial-slur

if those text are correct, this is somewhat alarming. you have racial slurs via text message at someone (worse that the cooper incident); as well as threats of violence. I'm curious to know if anyone in Miami knew about this. Most likely incognito was scared because Martin will be 2X the nfl player he was.

they almost certainly have to welcome him back with open arms and hope he reassimilates. short of him asking to be let go, they have to embrace him and hope it works out for atleast the balance of this year, and likely next (even if his play is lackluster theyd be in a tough spot to cut ties)

could prob trade Martin for a mid-round pick. would be the smart thing to do. And send ingognito packing. If I'm the dolphins owner I'm really pissed. Why dosen't the coach or GM know about it and stop it until it becomes a huge issue.

The guy has been kicked off of every team he has been on since high school. Why are you wasting even a little bit of energy defending him?

could prob trade Martin for a mid-round pick. would be the smart thing to do. And send ingognito packing. If I'm the dolphins owner I'm really pissed. Why dosen't the coach or GM know about it and stop it until it becomes a huge issue.

unless martin embraces the trade - youd be shipping out a guy for something happening to him. not a great message, and perhaps not legal on the dolphins end.

that said - martin would very possibly be all for a change of surroundings.

if those text are correct, this is somewhat alarming. you have racial slurs via text message at someone (worse that the cooper incident); as well as threats of violence. I'm curious to know if anyone in Miami knew about this. Most likely incognito was scared because Martin will be 2X the nfl player he was.

schefter is giving more detailed info on them now - and they are every bit what youd expect from that brief excerpt.

Reading the dolphins board it sounds like this is just the most talked about issue in Miami. Serious fighting in the locker room apparently.

Hope Martin gets the help he needs

As for the dolphins…. Bummer

If its a mental issue then his job of hitting people is irrelevant. From a dude that has dealt with anxiety, learning how to cope with different and difficult situations is extremely difficult. Most likely the issue wasn't the prank, but something far more powerful that we as fans and frankly outsiders don't see.

One of the physicaly toughest guys i know deals with anxiety and depression. He's a firefighter that's made of muscle, no neck. And yet, he's medicated. Goes to show you physical prowess does not always equate to mental health.

I don't know you at all, or anything about you except what I've read here from time to time....maybe you're a decent guy, maybe you're a douchebag, maybe you're a dead-beat Dad or a wife-beater, maybe you're Joe Citizen - normal in every way....but you Sir, have chosen a very poor issue to sound off on how too many athletes are scrutinized for otherwise normal behavior....

If I understand you correctly, it seems you think Martin is being the poster-child for an overreactive media who wants to run to the aid of a victim and vilify Martin's teammates for what most men would consider ball-breaking...however, being aware of the current political and social climate is very important in a job and industry which requires so much support from the larger public. Assuming any of these accusations are true, regardless of Martin's demeanor and if he instigated Incognito's rebuttal, means Incognito made hateful and horrific statements...there's nothing to defend there. Now, if those texts are a blatant lie, and that's possible, then Incognito should be redeemed from public opinion openly by such lies being made public and Martin properly scrutinized and prosecuted in one respect or another - either literally, figuratively, or both...

But, while I agree there are times athletes are seen to be made worse than the average man based upon average man behavior, due to the incendiary remarks from Incognito (if true), there is no defending those statements in the social climate we live in...bullying is a hot-button issue and race has always been an immediate amplifier of attitude and behavior, so much so that in New York we have crimes specifically designated as "hate crimes"....

You may want to reconsider your stance or at least choice of timing when it comes to making your point....there are better examples, and by the sounds of it better men, to make your point.

The way this is being presented in the media stinks. How did this situation get this out of hand? Was it as out of hand as it is being reported? Many want to throw Incognito to the wolves because of his past behavior. It has been facilitated by the team and tolerated by the organization who clearly had to know a little bit about what going on. Martin does come off as weak taking the approach he did but we do not know what else was done. Was it the first straw or the last? Again. One side is coming out.

Much like we have learned this past summer. Don't trust the media and the first knee jerk reaction to a situation especially coming out of south Florida - a place that was just thrown to the forefront of a racial dividing line and battle. The media there has picked up on every story with racial undertones for a reason. This story is sad and hurtful to hear. Grown men acting so poorly but it is not unheard of and until more dust settles I will keep an open mind before casting stones which can't be taken back

Incognito is a jerk. So many people and some of those people play in the NFL. That's all I really have to say about it. I don't know either party or the exact circumstances, nor does anyone else. We likely never will. We only know history on similar circumstances which should indicate how we behave ourselves on an issue like this...

I don't know you at all, or anything about you except what I've read here from time to time....maybe you're a decent guy, maybe you're a douchebag, maybe you're a dead-beat Dad or a wife-beater, maybe you're Joe Citizen - normal in every way....but you Sir, have chosen a very poor issue to sound off on how too many athletes are scrutinized for otherwise normal behavior....

If I understand you correctly, it seems you think Martin is being the poster-child for an overreactive media who wants to run to the aid of a victim and vilify Martin's teammates for what most men would consider ball-breaking...however, being aware of the current political and social climate is very important in a job and industry which requires so much support from the larger public. Assuming any of these accusations are true, regardless of Martin's demeanor and if he instigated Incognito's rebuttal, means Incognito made hateful and horrific statements...there's nothing to defend there. Now, if those texts are a blatant lie, and that's possible, then Incognito should be redeemed from public opinion openly by such lies being made public and Martin properly scrutinized and prosecuted in one respect or another - either literally, figuratively, or both...

But, while I agree there are times athletes are seen to be made worse than the average man based upon average man behavior, due to the incendiary remarks from Incognito (if true), there is no defending those statements in the social climate we live in...bullying is a hot-button issue and race has always been an immediate amplifier of attitude and behavior, so much so that in New York we have crimes specifically designated as "hate crimes"....

You may want to reconsider your stance or at least choice of timing when it comes to making your point....there are better examples, and by the sounds of it better men, to make your point.

lots of conclusions drawn from what I said.