Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

Classy fella, Richie.

I guess if you're too much of a fat douche to really attract the ladies, you may as well feel them up with a golf club and then dump water on them.

WTF?

I read that although the organization apologized to the woman, Incognito refused to do so.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading some of the comments by other NFL players in the league, it's clear that the Dolphins locker room isn't a normal locker room. The Dolphins' vets probably think it is because that's what they know, but it's not, especially if Incognito is in charge. You put the cerebral and maybe sensitive Martin in just about any other locker room--especially one with a veteran coach and QB-- this doesn't happen. For example, can you imagine something like this happening on a team that has Peyton Manning?

Nope. People have got to stop acting like Martin is some kind of crazy outcast for believing this environment to be at best, alien, and at worst, criminally insane.

This stuff about how your linemen are your brothers and you owe it to them to spend $15,000 on a trip, or $30,000 on a dinner, and you don't rat on them... Whut? I know this is a place far from reality, but THAT far?

Some of the comments at the bottom of the story are pretty funny there.

I got about halfway through them and stopped. Yeah pretty freaking hilarious.

"Who was that woman Jonathan Martin's mother?"

"And she just stood there while he did all that?"

"He did all that and wasn't charged. Another bogus accusation."

"That woman's name: Jonathan Martin"

"Let's dig up some more year-old news to try to stoke already irrelevant flames."

"If the accuser can read, it'll be a miracle."

A real laugh riot, those comments. :rolleyes:

•  

I got about halfway through them and stopped. Yeah pretty freaking hilarious.

"Who was that woman Jonathan Martin's mother?"

"And she just stood there while he did all that?"

"He did all that and wasn't charged. Another bogus accusation."

"That woman's name: Jonathan Martin"

"Let's dig up some more year-old news to try to stoke already irrelevant flames."

"If the accuser can read, it'll be a miracle."

A real laugh riot, those comments. :rolleyes:

I would not mind it if anonymous internet commenting were banned.

:lol:@EyeOnNFL

Report: Richie Incognito held offensive line meetings at strip club http://cbsprt.co/195BiiR

the two quotable things being:

“Richie wanted to set up Richie's world as a way for everybody to act,” a team source told Cole. “Richie thinks everybody should act that way. He doesn't get that some guys aren't into that behavior. Some guys don't want to constantly explain to their wife or girlfriend why they have to go to a strip club.”

And if players didn't go? Incognito would mock them for not being part of the group, Cole wrote.

and

"I'm not afraid to say that he was an immature, unrealistic scumbag," Cleeland told the Los Angeles Times. "When it came down to it, he had no personality, he was a locker-room cancer, and he just wanted to fight everybody all the time. It was bizarre beyond belief."

which continues to lead back to "how in the hell did the dolphins give him leadership standing?"

Edited by NoSaint

You'd be surprised about some places.

Having a daughter and seeing women treated like this makes me just want to club this guy in the junk repeatedly, even though that is no way to solve an issue. He's a sociopath.

its about defusing the situation. Not escalating it. I'd just have pulled the woman away to do another task or ask for help. Or jut talk to the guys and hope I side track them.

the two quotable things being:andwhich continues to lead back to "how in the hell did the dolphins give him leadership standing?"

Jeff Ireland and Joe Philbin have a lot to answer for. I can't see either one surviving in Miami for the long term.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

its about defusing the situation. Not escalating it. I'd just have pulled the woman away to do another task or ask for help. Or jut talk to the guys and hope I side track them.

I'm not advocating my gut reaction as a way of dealing with this. It's just the way I feel. And there is a major difference between the way dudes talk in private company and this kind of elevated disrespect (to put it mildly).

But it says a lot about the Dolphins' current management that they helped sweep this occurrence at a team function under the rug.

Wonder if all those upstanding Dolphin players tried to intervene and protect the woman.

They're probably mad at the rats who got this story out, when a real man would hide behind his buddies and their team "code."

I'm not advocating my gut reaction as a way of dealing with this. It's just the way I feel. And there is a major difference between the way dudes talk in private company and this kind of elevated disrespect (to put it mildly).

But it says a lot about the Dolphins' current management that they helped sweep this occurrence at a team function under the rug.

They're probably mad at the rats who got this story out, when a real man would hide behind his buddies and their team "code."

im not even shocked theyd sweep it under the rug but to then praise him publicly, put him on leadership council etc... plenty of teams would try to cover it up i think, but they created a culture where "richies world" was being not just allowed but had a stamp of approval.

im not even shocked theyd sweep it under the rug but to then praise him publicly, put him on leadership council etc... plenty of teams would try to cover it up i think, but they created a culture where "richies world" was being not just allowed but had a stamp of approval.

True enough.

And your points are most salient. I guess I am not surprised about the cover-up but I I am surprised that they didn't feel the story would get out eventually, since it stemmed from a (private) event in a public location.

I'm also surprised they were so enamored of a guard (dime a dozen, anybody?) with this kind of record, doing this stuff at one of their own events, that they held onto him and put him in a position of leadership. Compare to the Bills having decided they had had enough with Lynch even though it was (and remains) an unpopular decision.

You just don't understand the NFL apparently. Richie groped the woman to her face and she didn't punch him, so she must have enjoyed it.

This is seriously scary.

Imagine being a rookie--perhaps pretty cerebral, shy, and sensitive. You come into this locker room, and have a guy calling you the "n-word," laughing maniacally as he threatens your family, forcing you to go strip clubs when you think it is inappropriate, making you pay thousands of dollars, physically assualting you, and rides you to try to toughen you up. This guy also plays right next to you on every snap; is the leader of the team; and is considered to be dirty and crazy by most of the league.

I think Martin probably did the smart thing--and tried to laugh it off and live with it as much as possible, until it just got to be too much to handle.

What does that mean?

Ps. Ritchie is a classic :censored: . Rude, stupid, and disrespectful. He'll eventually learn the hard way.

This is seriously scary.

Imagine being a rookie--perhaps pretty cerebral, shy, and sensitive. You come into this locker room, and have a guy calling you the "n-word," laughing maniacally as he threatens your family, forcing you to go strip clubs when you think it is inappropriate, making you pay thousands of dollars, physically assualting you, and rides you to try to toughen you up. This guy also plays right next to you on every snap; is the leader of the team; and is considered to be dirty and crazy by most of the league.

I think Martin probably did the smart thing--and tried to laugh it off and live with it as much as possible, until it just got to be too much to handle.

This is, perhaps, a very appropriate perspective. As a rookie, he expected a lot of the language and behavior. He may have thought it was a little over the top, but being a rookie he figured it was all part of the "ritual". But then, it continued into his 2nd year. So what do you do now?

He's under contract. The guy giving him the most trouble is a captain and has full support of the coaches. What can he do, other than try to laugh it off and hope they move on to other players? Eventually, he did all he felt he could... just quit.

This whole situation just screams lack of leadership. The team put Incognito in a position of leadership and that decision, in and of itself, tells you all you need to know about the team and the lack of leaders in the locker room. Stevie Johnson said it the other day, you have fun but you also have to have respect. In the Dolphin locker room there seems to be no respect for other players, for the team, for the colors on their jerseys.

Edited by Dan

there is already everything you need to know on my thoughts of this matter in the thread....what more would you like?

the fact that you made it personal by saying "you're what tom says"....explain please.

Edited by BigBuff423

you're a thoughtful and erudite poster...

assuming that's not sarcasm, which is impossible to tell without emoticons or any other unique punctuation, thank you....and all I try to do is contribute to the conversation / debate without it regressing to juvenile tactics and hollow statements....i appreciate every post that is done with good intentions and communicated with even a modicum of intelligence, but sometimes I think despite requiring the act of typing, not all of us think before we post...but again, olive branch accepted

Whitlock chimes in. Really great and probably controversial article.

http://espn.go.com/n...d-led-incognito

Sometimes he goes a little overboard, but I really like Whitlock. It's kinda of embarassing that some people blame Martin for this. The world needs more people like Martin and less Incognito's. In certain schools, kids get called a sell out for staying out of trouble and doing their work. It's beyond sad and it speaks to the lack of leadership in Miami. This won't happen here. We have legit leaders on this team. Bring Martin in and groom him to be the RT of the future.