Why does Spiller get removed from goal-line situations?

I didn't want to make a new thread, so ill hijack yours for a second. Why is tashard choice getting so much PT. I understand these guys are banged up, but we can't have tashard on the field for 3rd down. He poses zero threat.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest we give BigCountryBills a high ankle sprain and see if he can run on it, let alone amass 155 yards in an NFL game against the league's top defense. For over a month now Spiller has been playing through an injury that normally takes 4 to 6 weeks of rest to recover from. Questioning Spiller's heart in this situation is just asinine.

Spiller isn't tough enough. He doesn't have the heart.

This is the same guy who got a little cut on his leg in preseason & acted as if his leg had been ripped off. Spiller is soft, that's his MO, and I believe he's been called out for it by opposing players.

He can't break a tackle and he goes down faster than a $50 hooker.

I refer you to last season where he had more yards after initial contact of any rb in the NFL not named Adrian Peterson, and his ratio of yards after initial contact was the highest in the league considering that he didnt get that many carries. He can break tackles. Personally I don't get why they don't use him down there. Fred has never been that effective, and to me although he's a hard rb to bring down due to his height makes him a liability in goalline situations where you have to get low. I think spiller being the quicker of the two could be more productive in that role

I didn't want to make a new thread, so ill hijack yours for a second. Why is tashard choice getting so much PT. I understand these guys are banged up, but we can't have tashard on the field for 3rd down. He poses zero threat.

If Jackson and Spiller are playing then Choice shouldn't be on the field at all. It's a Gailey-esque move putting Choice on the field.

I'd love to hear from some X's and O's people - what would be interesting is a breakdown of why you think it wouldn't work, or, conversely, why there is no good reason not to try Spiller down there based on the limited success being had thus far...

i mean, i dont get the difference between him and graham outside if thats what your advocating. simply that you think spiller is a more dynamic player? i guess the question to you is, is there a reason that you think hes a better receiver in that situation?

If Jackson and Spiller are playing then Choice shouldn't be on the field at all. It's a Gailey-esque move putting Choice on the field.

I think a guy like Eddie Lacy would make for a kick-ass triumverate with Jackson-Spiller -- just pure, compact muscle. But Green Bay has him and we do not.

i mean, i dont get the difference between him and graham outside if thats what your advocating. simply that you think spiller is a more dynamic player? i guess the question to you is, is there a reason that you think hes a better receiver in that situation?

I think the kinds of plays you can run with Spiller are more numerous. And I do think he's a better receiver. Also, he's going to draw attention that TJ Graham is not going to get being lined up there, theoretically opening up other parts of the field.

I refer you to last season where he had more yards after initial contact of any rb in the NFL not named Adrian Peterson, and his ratio of yards after initial contact was the highest in the league considering that he didnt get that many carries. He can break tackles. Personally I don't get why they don't use him down there. Fred has never been that effective, and to me although he's a hard rb to bring down due to his height makes him a liability in goalline situations where you have to get low. I think spiller being the quicker of the two could be more productive in that role

Except for when he couldn't do it last year and lost us the Pats game by fumbling on the one?

I suggest we give BigCountryBills a high ankle sprain and see if he can run on it, let alone amass 155 yards in an NFL game against the league's top defense. For over a month now Spiller has been playing through an injury that normally takes 4 to 6 weeks of rest to recover from. Questioning Spiller's heart in this situation is just asinine.

You speak the truth. Why do I get the feeling that poster would be hospitalized after one play on an NFL field?

I think the kinds of plays you can run with Spiller are more numerous. And I do think he's a better receiver. Also, he's going to draw attention that TJ Graham is not going to get being lined up there, theoretically opening up other parts of the field.

i wont say that hes not, but i dont know that weve seen anything to say that he is. we havent seen him line up much at WR and run those types of routes, and read outside defenders. hes not particularly big for a redzone target.

outside of screens and dump offs i feel like we just havent seen him running a lot of real routes, but that could be me being used to seeing sproles and reggie bush the last few years. it surprises me we dont motion him outside or run more dynamic routes with him all over the field - unless we are and im just not giving due credit.

Whatever I may or may not be does not change the fact Spiller can't cash in TDs in short yardage.

Edited by BigCountryBills

I usually make decisions based on isolated incidents that occurred under prior regimes as well.

So, uh, how do you make decisions? Based on opinions and feelings? He stunk as a goaline back last year, and as a third down back last year, and this year. He can't pound the ball in for a yard. He shows that every game. Spiller can run 40 yards to the goaline and get stuffed 3 times in a row for 10 YPC and we still don't have a TD.

So, uh, how do you make decisions? Based on opinions and feelings? He stunk as a goaline back last year, and as a third down back last year, and this year. He can't pound the ball in for a yard. He shows that every game. Spiller can run 40 yards to the goaline and get stuffed 3 times in a row for 10 YPC and we still don't have a TD.

Note that I have never said that he should be pounding the ball in for a yard. I said he should be in there both to create and disguise different options for pass plays and runs that might happen out of passing formations.

Note that I have never said that he should be pounding the ball in for a yard. I said he should be in there both to create and disguise different options for pass plays and runs that might happen out of passing formations.

Note that, unless you have two accounts, I wasn't talking to you in the first place.

I think that if CJ is in on the goal line in Single Back, the defense knows its a dive. Telegraphing.

I think that if CJ is in on the goal line in Two Back, it has to be with the Fullback. Again, a plunge or dive. You arent running outside and everybody knows CJ's default is to bounce it outside.

I think that if CJ is in the slot on goalline, he doesnt have enuf space to operate.

I dont think CJ will ever be in two back on the goalline with Freddie. How does one help the other? Decoy?

I think that if CJ is in on the goal line in Single Back, the defense knows its a dive. Telegraphing.

I think that if CJ is in on the goal line in Two Back, it has to be with the Fullback. Again, a plunge or dive. You arent running outside and everybody knows CJ's default is to bounce it outside.

I think that if CJ is in the slot on goalline, he doesnt have enuf space to operate.

I dont think CJ will ever be in two back on the goalline with Freddie. How does one help the other? Decoy?

Decoy or choices for an audible, no? And why does he not have enough space to operate compared to, say, TJ Graham?

Spiller should not be eliminated from all goal line situations-he is a weapon that needs to be used. Pitch it out to him to the wide sde of the field-what is the probability that he is going to get into the end zone? It is a high number. Same with a QB that can run, especially Thad or even Tuel. Fake the handoff, roll them out to the wide side and have Chandler run toward the corner of the end zone on that side to keep the D honest. Peyton can do it but Thad or Tuel can't? This is the second time that poor play calling and use of personnel on first and goal have cost the Bills the game, and it is on the coaches.

It seems like when we get down on the goal line we don't have goal line plays to go to. Other teams do.

The bolded one you suggest is one of my favorite goal line plays. Pitch it out to the speedster (CJ) and let him race everyone to the pylon. It's hard to imagine how that wouldn't work. Or the one where you fake a handoff and the TE runs behind the line and curves out into the EZ often uncovered because he gets lost? Why can't we run that? Or bunch everyone in. Fake the handoff and the TE blocks first, maybe falls down, and then sneaks into the EZ often uncovered?

Getting into an empty backfield set in the shotgun with 4 or 5 WRs is probably the dumbest thing you can do. There's not much room and 4 or 5 WRs are in the EZ along with 5 or 6 DBs.

Fake the dive to Fred and pitch it out to CJ who then races everyone to the plyon. Who do you think wins?

Edited by reddogblitz