12 men on field is inexcusable....

HelloNewman

I realize the NFL is a complicated game with many substitutions going on however being flagged for the third time this year for 12 men on the field shows a lack of discipline and inattentiveness or communication problems with the team.

There are more pressing issues yes; but if you cannot get off the field in time then maybe you need to lighten up on the substitutions a little or tell the players to stop brain farting and pay attention?

Especially when we get it right after a kickoff, with a COMMERCIAL BREAK. Coaching error, attention to detail

^^^ this. too many men will happen from time to time. but this scenario should never play out at the pro level

To defend the coaches, I bet this happens more when you have a lot of back-ups playing, like we do.

i feel like our injuries are a lot less volume than they were a few weeks ago and more very key guys (spiller and EJ - thad and fred werent the issue) and guys like fred and stevie playing banged up.

our only 3 starters that were out at the start were EJ, spiller and lawson. id guess outside of qb, we are as healthy as any team in the league these days.

i feel like our injuries are a lot less volume than they were a few weeks ago and more very key guys (spiller and EJ - thad and fred werent the issue) and guys like fred and stevie playing banged up.

our only 3 starters that were out at the start were EJ, spiller and lawson. id guess outside of qb, we are as healthy as any team in the league these days.

It's more in-game injuries than anything. We seemed to be unexpectedly running a lot of subs in and out yesterday. Choice was banged up. Fred was gimpy, going in and out. Stevie was in and out. Goodwin was in and out. I can see how that could cause some confusion.

Yeah I know. Sometimes it's like it's like a first year coaching staff that has a bunch of new players, a lot of injuries, and a completely new scheme for the players to learn out there. I don't know why they should have any confusion when facing one of the best offenses in the league. It's unconscionable.

I get that we want the turnaround to happen right now, but these things take time. And as we are all aware sometimes they don't even work out at all.

Marrone's running the subs now?

Pretty sure that's the quality control guys, who I'm sure got a talking-to from Dougie.

Now don't go and get all logical on us. You have been on TSW enough to know that there are two groups of coaches on this team: Pettine who is usually assumed to be pretty good, and everybody else who are all just a bunch of screwballs from a no name college program. :flirt:

In New Orleans, they're not bashing the head coach for having only 10 men on the field on two different occasions. Haters gonna hate.

I don't know if you realize this but saints fans are often critical of their coach for a variety of reasons - too loyal to aging vets, inability to commit to a running game, refusal to establish really any consistency in the run game.... Every coach has strengths and weaknesses. It's getting to be if you discuss any negative or area for growth or just dumb mistake the board explodes with people saying your just a hater and looking for reasons to complain

Our substitutions didnt do well yesterday - it happens and it shouldn't be a big deal to point out when it does. Hopefully it looks sharper this week.

I don't know if you realize this but saints fans are often critical of their coach for a variety of reasons - too loyal to aging vets, inability to commit to a running game, refusal to establish really any consistency in the run game.... Every coach has strengths and weaknesses. It's getting to be if you discuss any negative or area for growth or just dumb mistake the board explodes with people saying your just a hater and looking for reasons to complain

Our substitutions didnt do well yesterday - it happens and it shouldn't be a big deal to point out when it does. Hopefully it looks sharper this week.

That wasn't the point I intended and I'm sorry if it came off as being crabby - I really do appreciate your inputs on most topics. I listened to Peyton's post game conference and he was complaining about the substitution issues on his side. And THAT - like you said - is an experienced, veteran team. While our mistakes are no less egregious, I'd rather focus on some of the bigger details like playcalling and getting our injured secondary back in the right roles and to me, this is a subset of the 'penalty issue'. Yes, it needs to be fixed. No, it's not unforgivable for a young team with lots of injuries trying to find their way.

That wasn't the point I intended and I'm sorry if it came off as being crabby - I really do appreciate your inputs on most topics. I listened to Peyton's post game conference and he was complaining about the substitution issues on his side. And THAT - like you said - is an experienced, veteran team. While our mistakes are no less egregious, I'd rather focus on some of the bigger details like playcalling and getting our injured secondary back in the right roles and to me, this is a subset of the 'penalty issue'. Yes, it needs to be fixed. No, it's not unforgivable for a young team with lots of injuries trying to find their way.

Fair enough - it's been frustrating around here for critical analysis this year. Likewise apologize if I was too short with you, as opposed to keeping it more general- I think the haters part is turning into a bit of a trigger for me....