Is Stephon Gilmore an above average CB???

Estro

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tannehill went 19 for 37 for less than 200 yds. His YPA was barely above 5.

Gilmore was beaten ONCE and it was by an elite deep threat.

His presence is allowing the Bills to keep J. Rogers inactive. The question now is simply - is Gilmore better than Rogers and is he tough enough to play with a club? If so, we are a better team with him out there.

Let's save the real evaluation for when the man can see his fingers.

Tannehill went 19 for 37 for less than 200 yds. His YPA was barely above 5.

Gilmore was beaten ONCE and it was by an elite deep threat.

His presence is allowing the Bills to keep J. Rogers inactive. The question now is simply - is Gilmore better than Rogers and is he tough enough to play with a club? If so, we are a better team with him out there.

Let's save the real evaluation for when the man can see his fingers.

I like Gilmore quite a bit and think he's very good; he did not have a good game yesterday. The Wallace completion was a big one, and he gave up 2 other 1st downs to Hartline and took a bad penalty.

As I said though, I think he'll be fine again once he gets back up to speed. He was very, very good for the last 8 games of last season.

People don't understand the game. They think - "Hey he's just a cornerback, so all he needs is his feet."

Gilmore has always been a physical player. He likes to jam WRs at the line. It's absolutely impossible for him to jam someone at the line with a club on your hand.

With that said, I think that Gilmore was showing incredible improvement towards the end of last year. In his limited training camp/pre-season action, he was starting to look like a legitimate shut down corner.

People don't understand the game. They think - "Hey he's just a cornerback, so all he needs is his feet."

Gilmore has always been a physical player. He likes to jam WRs at the line. It's absolutely impossible for him to jam someone at the line with a club on your hand.

With that said, I think that Gilmore was showing incredible improvement towards the end of last year. In his limited training camp/pre-season action, he was starting to look like a legitimate shut down corner.

I don't know about shutdown; I did, however, notice that teams were rarely throwing in his direction, and that's always a good sign.

I remember when Kelso used to play with a pumpkin on his head. Didn't help him in the slightest bit. I'll give Gilmore the benefit of the doubt.

???????? :wallbash:

How does that in anyway come close to losing use of your hand? Coverage, tackling, even balance are all affected with that club he's wearing. I'd like to know when that might be able to come off? Tape the wrist and gain use of the hand !!!

I've seen it mentioned several times how he was looking great pre-season. I specifically remembered him getting roasted repeatedly against Washington, and really looked exposed out there. If you're going to cite pre-season as a reason he was starting to look like a shut down corner, I will cite it as well then to state the opposite. He looked absolutely Rogersesque in the game.

Are u his agent? That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. He is a star of nothing. I agree w the original poster of this thread. He has been average at best in his year plus in the league. His technique and instincts are lousy. Playing CB is not a wrestling match. You have to cover not mug. Until he learns how to mirror the receiver, he will be average at best. Robey is ahead of him at this pt in their careers. And for all those who bash Leodis, his play has been excellent.

No not an agent my friend. Just a fan. A very honest fan, and usually a cynical one. The fact that you just compared Robey to Gilmore tells me that I shouldnt even waste my time replying to this post. Gilmore shut down #1 receivers the whole second half of 2012 AS A ROOKIE! Leodis McKelvin has just matched Gilmore's level from last year and he is a 6th year pro. Get a grip man. Of course he was terrible the first half of the season. HE WAS A ROOKIE CORNER! They all struggle their first season. There is a reason they so desperately needed a shutdown corner in the first round, and it certainly wasnt because Leodis Mckelvin or Aaron Williams were doing their job. I think you look at a stat sheet rather than watch the games and listen to what people around the league say about this guy.

I think when people get carried away by saying he was a top 5 corner, they were judging him relative to being a first year corner. As a first year corner he was good. Not excellent but above average. You absolutely cannot grade this guy this year. You just can't until that cast comes off. If anything, how about we give the guy some damn credit for going out there with a cast while Byrd spent damn near half the season complaining of sore feet.