Is Kyle Williams the problem with the run defense?

Williams was drafted in 2006 and started 11 games for us that year. He became a full time starter in 2007. From 2006 to 2012 our run defense has given up an average of 2,280 yards per season for a 142 yds/pg average. Thru 6 games this season we have given up 745 yds for a 124 yds/pg average. Williams is one of those players that gets a pass because of his reputation for being a hard worker and his popularity amongst the fans, but the stats don't lie. Now I know some of you will say we have surrounded him with mediocre talent in the past, but I was at the game Sunday and watched him get blown off the ball on several occasions. At this point I wonder if he would be more effective as a situational type player much like Mike Lodish was in the 90's.

Edited by BuffaloPride

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So your saying run defense is not a problem with this team?

What's a problem? Something that's not perfect? Something that's not dominant? Something that has lost us games?

It's not perfect. It's not dominant. It hasn't lost us any games.

It's significantly better than years past.

I've been arguing this (by myself) with data in a thread each week: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/161650-the-2013-run-defense/#entry2945443

Numbers don't lie.

The Bills rank 28th in the league against the rush this year so far.. (Per NFL.com)

That's hard to believe as they have been in every game.

The scheme will take some time to implement, I look for this stat to improve over time especially now that the secondary is healthy...

We will be drafting a BEAST next year to plug some of these holes..

Just think what the Bills will become once they shore that up..

GO BUFFALO !!!>>>>>>

Edited by Ludwig van

The Bills rank 28th in the league against the rush this year. (So far)

Not sure about Kyle but regardless we will be drafting a BEAST next year to plug some of these holes..

GO BUFFALO !!!>>>>>>

That ranking is murlarkey.

2 rushing TD's allowed through 6 games (T-2)

3.9 ypc through 6 games (T-12)--5 teams average 3.8

And these are very very relevant numbers considering only two teams have faced more rushing attempts (NYG, JAX 192 each) compared to our 189.

So, our TD to attempt ratio, is OFF THE CHARTS, in fact it's 3 in the league. Teams have to rush it almost 100 times to score a TD against us.

Not the problem. The D line has been decent this year, not dominant. Our run problems are mostly due to poor tackling and position by our mostly mediocre LB's. Kiko is a start but Bradham and Moats look very stiff and limited athletically. DL seems to be asserting themselves better so far.

That ranking is murlarkey.

2 rushing TD's allowed through 6 games (T-2)

3.9 ypc through 6 games (T-12)--5 teams average 3.8

And these are very very relevant numbers considering only two teams have faced more rushing attempts (NYG, JAX 192 each) compared to our 189.

So, our TD to attempt ratio, is OFF THE CHARTS, in fact it's 3 in the league. Teams have to rush it almost 100 times to score a TD against us.

Good post. Does a player rushing for 100 yards on 30 carries mean he had a good game? I don't think so.

IMO, the most troubling thing about the D is all the 3rd & longs they've given up. They seem to play good 2 down D & blow it on 3rd down.

The Bills rank 28th in the league against the rush this year. (So far)

The scheme will take some time to implement, I look for this stat to improve over time..

We will be drafting a BEAST next year to plug some of these holes..

GO BUFFALO !!!>>>>>>

And if that happens I think it will benefit Williams to become a situational type player.

Good post. Does a player rushing for 100 yards on 30 carries mean he had a good game? I don't think so.

IMO, the most troubling thing about the D is all the 3rd & longs they've given up. They seem to play good 2 down D & blow it on 3rd down.

Agreed. And if someone will JUST look at my charts :P you'll see our otherwise very good run defense numbers are skewed by a long carry here and there. FOR THE MOST part, runners get stuffed for 3 yards or fewer (60% of the time).

Just like third downs, the run defense is good, great, then shaky. But to say it's all bad ignores the fact that two thirds of the time it isn't.

Not the problem. The D line has been decent this year, not dominant. Our run problems are mostly due to poor tackling and position by our mostly mediocre LB's. Kiko is a start but Bradham and Moats look very stiff and limited athletically. DL seems to be asserting themselves better so far.

This is similar to my reaction to the post. Our linebackers (and playcalling against the rush) have been weak since the days of fletcher and takeo, even pozlusny wasnt very dominant. And even the better ones like mitchell and barnett were smaller LBs, not prototypical run stuffers. And the tackling has been an issue for years, which seems to have greatly improved this year (with the exception of last week). Granted, the interior d line didnt look great last week but the majority of the damage done were on end arounds and screen passes, where our DBs were completely dominated by downfield blockers. This D can improve, but Kyle Williams is hardly the root of the problem

Run defense is a function of everybody on defense. KW struggles against the double team, but 99% of players struggle in that situation. Love him or hate him, who on this roster plays DT better than Kyle Williams?

Williams has made a name for himself for being one of those players that plays with alot of heart to make up for his lack of size. Much like Flutie, he will dazzle you at times but is inconsistent. Not hating on Kyle Williams. I happen to think he has tremendous athletic ability that could be used more effectively if he was able rotate in on the line.