The "touch back"

The Big Cat

I'm no Moorman fan. But WHOA what a first kick back. He looked mighty proud of himself. And well he should.

But more importantly:

Across all sports, very few things drive me crazier than an official from the other side of the playing surface over-ruling the call made just inches from his colleague's face.

In this case, the man standing RIGHT next to the pylon made the right call...then got over turned. It was rightly reviewed, and rightly over turned.

My question is why? Why do other officials do this? What gives them the right? How is it that the guy standing there and his team mates don't have the authority to say buzz off to the person who didn't have the vantage point?

Why did this even have to go to the booth? Is it a hierarchy thing? A seniority thing? A rules-of-the-game thing? If it's the latter, why do we have a guy standing right next to the pylon in the first place!?

This happened to a lesser extent later in the game when the guy standing behind KW called him for the "face mask." But it wasn't nearly as egregious.

a refs ability to call a play has as much to do with their angle on the action as it does their proximity.

even though he wasn't as close as the other ref, he may have had a much better angle on the ball passing the pylon.

Except in my [potentially inaccurate] recollection of the events, he didn't.

It was the guy in front of the ball that screwed up the call.

He also didn't call the obvious PI.

This thread should be about how refs probably have money on the game or are in on a fix because that SJ clearly had other intentions then calling a clean, fair game.

F the refs. I hate to say it, but I really believe there is a tangible dislike of the Buffalo Bills amongst a lot of NFL refs. Hochuli especially. What the hell was the personal foul on Kyle? No contact, no punches thrown... did he say a naughty word Ed? How often do players jaw at each other on the field and it's never called. Where's the consistency. No way that flag is thrown when Brady calls someone a MFer.

I was at the game on that side of the endzone, and I'm pretty sure that the guy standing right there is the one that called it a touchback. He hesitated, but he called it a touchback.

I watched it a few times and the initial call was the right call, then it appeared he caught motion of the whatchamacallit and hesitated... Either way, the spot of the ball was going to be reviewed as it was inside of 2 minutes in the half. I think the fail Mary call has them all gun shy, lol

F the refs. I hate to say it, but I really believe there is a tangible dislike of the Buffalo Bills amongst a lot of NFL refs. Hochuli especially. What the hell was the personal foul on Kyle? No contact, no punches thrown... did he say a naughty word Ed? How often do players jaw at each other on the field and it's never called. Where's the consistency. No way that flag is thrown when Brady calls someone a MFer.

Not only that, but I remember three consecutive drives where I was just getting more and more pissed off at the refs. There was the Kyle Williams penalty first, which was complete bull. Then the no call on their last touchdown on 3rd down where the receiver stepped out of bounds, right before he caught it, then stepped back in as he made the catch. That's illegal touching and should at least have been brought back. Then the next drive there was the no call on the obvious pass interference on the Goodwin bomb. We punt it, they come back down the field. We sack Dalton on (I believe) 3rd down. The ref directly behind Dalton calls a facemask, when both defenders grabbed shoulder pads. Not even helmet. I left the bar I was at after that call.

F the refs. I hate to say it, but I really believe there is a tangible dislike of the Buffalo Bills amongst a lot of NFL refs.

Ever since the "Just give it to 'em" game, it's almost like there's a vendetta against the Bills. Maybe Ralph's blistering open letter to the league in response to his fine for criticizing those calls hasn't been forgotten.

Hochuli especially. What the hell was the personal foul on Kyle? No contact, no punches thrown... did he say a naughty word Ed? How often do players jaw at each other on the field and it's never called. Where's the consistency. No way that flag is thrown when Brady calls someone a MFer.

Kyle Williams was on Hochuli's **** list all day. He had his helmet ripped off by the face mask - no call. I believe the "unsportsmanlike conduct" flag against him (for taunting? What?) was shortly after that. I've been itching to watch the replay and see just how badly the officiating actually was.

A kick that goes out at the half yard line is a miss. You never want to aim that close. Moorman really showed why he was released when he put kicked the coverage to end the game.

:blink: Are you kidding me? That is like telling a sharpshooter in a crisis situation to hit the upper body when a head shot is available.

The coverage team has been poor all season and they should have gotten to the returner. It did look like the refs blew a nasty block in the back on the near side (camera view), but that is neither here nor there as the other 10 need to swarm to the ball.

A kick that goes out at the half yard line is a miss. You never want to aim that close. Moorman really showed why he was released when he put kicked the coverage to end the game.

Wow. That ball hit just inside the ten and there was a Bills player right there (Easley) who could have downed it any time. It was a perfect kick. On the last one, he had great hang time, and distance, and there were two Bills defenders right there who both failed to make the tackle. Oh, and two separate blocking infractions were not called.

What!?? Mooreman did a very high punt on that kick in OT. There were 2 Bills within 10ft of the return man on either side that completely screwed up on the coverage. Not to mention the Holding/illegal blocks from Cincy on the play. Its the Special Teams coverage schemes that have to be improved and players who can tackle properly need to be out there.

:blink: Are you kidding me? That is like telling a sharpshooter in a crisis situation to hit the upper body when a head shot is available.

The coverage team has been poor all season and they should have gotten to the returner. It did look like the refs blew a nasty block in the back on the near side (camera view), but that is neither here nor there as the other 10 need to swarm to the ball.

huh?

Wow. That ball hit just inside the ten and there was a Bills player right there (Easley) who could have downed it any time. It was a perfect kick. On the last one, he had great hang time, and distance, and there were two Bills defenders right there who both failed to make the tackle. Oh, and two separate blocking infractions were not called.

What!?? Mooreman did a very high punt on that kick in OT. There were 2 Bills within 10ft of the return man on either side that completely screwed up on the coverage. Not to mention the Holding/illegal blocks from Cincy on the play. Its the Special Teams coverage schemes that have to be improved and players who can tackle properly need to be out there.

Don't feed the trolls.

That was either a failed attempt at humor or complete and utter ignorance.