This Marrone fella, he's gonna be a good one

zow2

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hackett isn't easing anyone into the NFL, if so, that's a recipe for disaster. You can see the play calling for TL yesterday, it was pretty aggressive at times. EJ makes it look like they are "easing him in" because of all the checkdowns. It's really EJ that is playing conservative, not the game plan.

Pettine is running a defense that will work very well in the NFL if you have the players, especially strong corners. The Bills are weak at corner and I believe they will address it this off season. The Bengals killed the Bills on screen passes yesterday, that was their main weapon. You have to have corners that can defend a screen pass, they were getting blocked off the field by Cinci's WR's, that was embarrassing...

Once Gilmore can use his hand the screen crap will end and we will be very strong on corners. Mckelvin, Gilmore and Williams, if need be are 3 top notch corner. Brooks is serviceable if Willams stays a s a saftey. Once Byrd and Gilmore are back to fullstrength this should be the strength of our team....

Marrone is fine, but Hackett is clearly a problem.

The guy simply does not understand how to attack defenses.

Clearly. Putting up 24 with an UDFA QB in his second NFL game, a hobbled starting RB, a turnstyle LG, and the best WR out, on a defense that held New England to 6 points is the hallmark of incompetence.

Just not ready for prime time...

You ever notice how we almost always seem to have all of our timeouts remaining near the end of both halves? That's enough for me.

The Packers yesterday called time out on 4th&13 from their own 1 to avoid a Delay of Game.

No seriously, that happened.

Trent Dilfer swears "it's a coach's league" though so that must be true. :rolleyes:

Gailey wasn't satisfied with moral victories either.

That was the show he put on but you could see he was relieved to win and was always pointing out the moral victories even after declaiming them.

Marrone is different. He was pissed at the mistakes made when the bills beat Carolina and Baltimore. In a vacuum watching the press conference you'd have thought they lost.

He wants flawless execution and he knows when games are close enough that a lucky break tips the scale you need to be better.

He's (and his staff) have gotten solid play out of several players written off as lost causes, such as:

AW23

Mcluvin at DB

Moats

Hughes was considered a bust in Indy

Jim Leonhard was on the street

Even Graham has shown more than many ever thought he had...

They have literally been on or two plays in each game from winning. As the team gets better they will get those.

It's still obvious to me a huge upgrade at WR is needed.

You ever notice how we almost always seem to have all of our timeouts remaining near the end of both halves? That's enough for me.

Good point. That does exemplify a well coached team. Very few procedural penalties as well.

That was the show he put on but you could see he was relieved to win and was always pointing out the moral victories even after declaiming them.

Marrone is different. He was pissed at the mistakes made when the bills beat Carolina and Baltimore. In a vacuum watching the press conference you'd have thought they lost.

He wants flawless execution and he knows when games are close enough that a lucky break tips the scale you need to be better.

He's (and his staff) have gotten solid play out of several players written off as lost causes, such as:

AW23

Mcluvin at DB

Moats

Hughes was considered a bust in Indy

Jim Leonhard was on the street

Even Graham has shown more than many ever thought he had...

They have literally been on or two plays in each game from winning. As the team gets better they will get those.

It's still obvious to me a huge upgrade at WR is needed.

Good point. That does exemplify a well coached team. Very few procedural penalties as well.

Not true regarding Gailey. Even when the team started 5 and 2, Gailey didn't get ahead of himself.

Does all the unsportsman like conduct penalties consitute a well coached team? We never have seen them to this extent before. They hurt the team more than falste starts and offsides.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Once Gilmore can use his hand the screen crap will end and we will be very strong on corners. Mckelvin, Gilmore and Williams, if need be are 3 top notch corner. Brooks is serviceable if Willams stays a s a saftey. Once Byrd and Gilmore are back to fullstrength this should be the strength of our team....

McK is playing the best football of his career.

Despite some of the Gilmore haters, I firmly believe he's an elite corner based on his rookie campaign and I've seen plenty of analysis to support it.

Brooks is the one I puzzle over. He looked so strong in man coverage at isolated points, and then so shaky at other points.

Everyone thought Williams would revert to the disaster we saw at corner last season once he switched back from safety. He's looked good though and has been in position to contest most every through. It will be interesting to see how things are reshuffled once all the guys are healthy as Searcey, Leonard,McK, Williams, Byrd and Gilmore are all or have in the past been starting caliber players.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I made a comment about it on Sunday....but I will say it again

Down by 7......game winding down...they panned to Marrone......at that moment I remember thinking "I am so glad this guy is our head coach"

There is no quit in this guy......he is silently intense.....he doesnt lose his cool......In the camera you see him walk by Pettine (who's defense had been getting the crap kicked out of it all day".....he didnt even say anything to him....he didnt even LOOK at him.....but you could tell that Morrone was saying something to Pettine with his body language....

I loved it.....this team while 2-4 has not been out of ANY game this season and we have faced some good teams......Cinci is the real deal and their HC was squirming over there when we tied it up.....

Our record doesnt show it yet.....but this is no longer the team people look on their calender and count as a easy win

I made a comment about it on Sunday....but I will say it again

Down by 7......game winding down...they panned to Marrone......at that moment I remember thinking "I am so glad this guy is our head coach"

There is no quit in this guy......he is silently intense.....he doesnt lose his cool......In the camera you see him walk by Pettine (who's defense had been getting the crap kicked out of it all day".....he didnt even say anything to him....he didnt even LOOK at him.....but you could tell that Morrone was saying something to Pettine with his body language....

I loved it.....this team while 2-4 has not been out of ANY game this season and we have faced some good teams......Cinci is the real deal and their HC was squirming over there when we tied it up.....

Our record doesnt show it yet.....but this is no longer the team people look on their calender and count as a easy win

You know...we lost a lot of close games with Jauron.

Then, in Gailey's first year we lost a lot of close games en route to 0-8.

And now, in 2013, we've been in every game, including one where we had 5 interceptions.

So, I'm having a really hard time seeing a shot of Marrone on the sideline and deciding "now we're good."

I believe that if EJ runs the !@#$ out of bounds, we're 4-2 right now, with wins over both Ohio teams.

But, we're not. We're 2-4. I see a defense that gives up big plays, can't get off the field on 4 and 15, can't generate pressure, and can't force turnovers when we need them. Was that line taken from any season 2006-2011? Because it sure feels like it.

And now, in 2013, we've been in every game, including one where we had 5 interceptions.

So, I'm having a really hard time seeing a shot of Marrone on the sideline and deciding "now we're good."

I believe that if EJ runs the !@#$ out of bounds, we're 4-2 right now, with wins over both Ohio teams.

But, we're not. We're 2-4. I see a defense that gives up big plays, can't get off the field on 4 and 15, can't generate pressure, and can't force turnovers when we need them. Was that line taken from any season 2006-2011? Because it sure feels like it.

Most of us appreciate the fact that Marrone does not see a silver lining in these close losses...and the team is hanging tough for 4 Qtrs. No one really dominates all 4 Qtrs in a typical NFL game...but you gotta have your team close at the end. In Gailey's 3 seasons, the team was blown out the following number of times (consider a blowout in the NFL a loss by 20+ points).

2010: 5 (@GB, NYJ, @Min, NE, @NYJ)

2011: 4 (@Dal, @Mia, @SD, @NE)

2012: 4 (@NYJ, NE, @SF, Sea)

We'll see if Marrone & Staff can keep it going but anyone has to admit...with rookie and 2nd year players all over the place, rookie QB's, injuries to key positions, new schemes, etc... this is a good start. Of course it all comes back to EJ. If our "franchise" QB, matures and becomes better than average, the team will rise up in the coming seasons. I think we are fine at head coach though.

Most of us appreciate the fact that Marrone does not see a silver lining in these close losses...and the team is hanging tough for 4 Qtrs. No one really dominates all 4 Qtrs in a typical NFL game...but you gotta have your team close at the end. In Gailey's 3 seasons, the team was blown out the following number of times (consider a blowout in the NFL a loss by 20+ points).

2010: 5 (@GB, NYJ, @Min, NE, @NYJ)

2011: 4 (@Dal, @Mia, @SD, @NE)

2012: 4 (@NYJ, NE, @SF, Sea)

We'll see if Marrone & Staff can keep it going but anyone has to admit...with rookie and 2nd year players all over the place, rookie QB's, injuries to key positions, new schemes, etc... this is a good start. Of course it all comes back to EJ. If our "franchise" QB, matures and becomes better than average, the team will rise up in the coming seasons. I think we are fine at head coach though.

Look, I'd love to share your optimism. But you just countered with: see the other guys got blown out more often!

That's like saying: at least both legs aren't broken!

Look, I'd love to share your optimism. But you just countered with: see the other guys got blown out more often!

That's like saying: at least both legs aren't broken!

Look, you gotta walk before you can run...they gotta stay in games before they can win games. Four super close home games, they've gone 2-2. Hopefully next year, with a more experienced QB it's 3-1 or 4-0.

Look, you gotta walk before you can run...they gotta stay in games before they can win games. Four super close home games, they've gone 2-2. Hopefully next year, with a more experienced QB it's 3-1 or 4-0.

Whatever "it" is for an NFL coach, Marrone's got it. And for a lad from the Bronx, he "gets" Buffalo and the Bills. He's the coach we've been looking for since Levy.

I should add: I don't put our losses on the coaching...at all. Evidently CJ Spiller needs 20 games to learn a new offense. Our defense is missing one or two key pieces. Our offensive line is in serious need of a LG. And we have a rookie QB who's learning on the job. Expecting to win would be insanely naive.

But...there were SO many elements of yesterday's loss that just screamed SAME OLE BILLS. I know that's a dumb thing to say. We have a new guy with a hand on the tiller, new coaches and a roster that's been half-gutted since last season. But MAN, there were some frustrating moments yesterday.

If Boomer Esiason were in charge of our 4th down calls we would've had 3 more points. Wait no, actually we would've kicked on 4th&8 instead of throwing a TD to Chandler, and then we would've needed a 2pt conversion to tie at the end (which we probably don't get if the 4th&1 is any indication).

It was hard to listen to his uber-conservative verbal diarrhea all game long. There he is cherry-picking examples of 4th downs not working but conveniently he doesn't mention that the FREAKING BENGALS (the team that's playing in the game he's announcing) beat the Patriots just last week largely because they went for it on the goaline and Belichick didn't.

Hopefully that's the last time that mouth-breathing Simms clone is in the booth.

Agree. Marv Levy said it best - " if it works it was a good call, if not , then ......."

I agree with you on Marrone, he has the potential to be a really good head coach. The special teams coach should be gone at the end of the season. He was a bum with Detroit and he's a bum now, just not a good ST coach and it's showing. Hackett is the one I am most worried about. I don't mind the decision to go for it on 4th and goal, but the play call was horrible, just horrible! And there are many other "well it worked at Syracuse" calls that are just head scratchers. I don't see them getting rid of Hackett, due to the relationship with Marrone. So let's hope he can improve on his play calling....

I can't remember a time when the fans agreed with the play calling - ever.

a. Because Morrone is a rookie HC who can actually improve

b. Becasue you get no sense that Morrone thinks everything is fine......you know he doesnt think his LG position is ok.....he gets rid of players that dont perform.......they are constantly bringing in guys and working them out.........

c. Because Morrone is playing with a bit of a stacked deck and still keeping them competitive.....injuries have hurt us bad yet we are right there at the end of games with some pretty darn good teams AND we beat last years super bowl winner

I dont look at Morrone in any way shape or form the same way as any of our past retread coaches