Is this current front office getting a pass?

Positives:

Draft:

Trading back and getting the extra pick

Making the smart choice on Woods

Making a great pick in Kiko

Taking the chance on Da’Rick, even if it didn’t work out.

Hiring Pettine

To be determined: Selecting EJ in the first. He still has not shown much beyond the majority of the pre draft reports that he was a raw developmental player with a great upside. I have not given up on him, but I still would not pass a good bet at a Franchise QB in the draft if one was available with our pick.

Very questionable:

Hiring Hackett and giving him on the job training instead of getting a polished vet coach

Not hiring a QB coach specifically to mentor and polish EJ

Hanging on to players too long who have no business being in the NFL

Criminal:

Letting Lev go without having a solid replacement already lined up

Not getting a quality vet QB for backup after Kolb went down.

Having such a huge amount of cap space and not using it to bring in quality depth.

Of course it does not help that unlike other businesses, the Bills not only don’t get put out of business for consistently delivering a shoddy product year after year. Instead they thrive and profit. Where is the motivation to actually deliver a good product?

Imagine a company that sold you a food product that tasted like rotted cabbage for 10+ years straight.

Imagine a company that sold you a new car that broke down every year when you took your family on their yearly vacation and it left you stranded half way there. Would you buy that make of car again after each of your 5 new ones broke down 10 + years in a row?

Would you buy the same brand of perfume for you wife if the last 10+ years you bought it she smelled like “Ode De Skunk” or “Roeton Eggles” when she put it on?

The company would have gone bankrupt long ago, unless its business was actually laundering drug money.

Bills fans have allowed the bar judging this organization to be be set way too low.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No pass. They knew the state of the team, they knew the needs and didnt' address them. This isn't a new era, its the same old S@!# Different year, different guy running the show, but really just a clone of Ralph

If you honestly believe that, you need your head checked... In one year the talent on this has been increased dramatically!! We have been in every game this year!! Once our youth gains experience look out!!!

If you honestly believe that, you need your head checked... In one year the talent on this has been increased dramatically!! We have been in every game this year!! Once our youth gains experience look out!!!

The base talent with what Marrone has enherited compared to Gailey is a lot better too!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

To all the people saying they should have gotten a decent veteran QB after Kolb went down, who specifically did you want? They brought in one of the better available guys in Leinart and we saw how that turned out. Seriously was there anyone out there that would be that much better than Thad?

To all the people saying they should have gotten a decent veteran QB after Kolb went down, who specifically did you want? They brought in one of the better available guys in Leinart and we saw how that turned out. Seriously was there anyone out there that would be that much better than Thad?

ever hear the quote "if at first you don't succeed try, try again"? It is not "if at first you don't succeed, just give up"

Winners keep trying till they succeed.

Losers giver up and say "we are in a rebuilding year".

Indeed it is. But this team and organization looks and feels completely different than anything we have seen in at least 10 years...

How?

We have a losing record.

We don't win close games.

We don't win games in the division.

Tons of injuries and a lack of depth at multiple positions offensively and defensively.

Poor coaches challenges and time management.

Looks more of the same to me.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

This thread shows how a good argument can be made for either a positive or a negative view of the direction and decision making of this organization. I think we need to let this year play out and actually see how the off season is handled and then see the results next year to know for sure if the culture is changing here and if the right coaches were hired and if the right player moves are being made. I'm hoping for the best but I fear the worst.

You're not the only one on Brandon, but be careful, people will openly say they'll block you and hate you for it. I am truly baffled why I should be pleased with his work, and why I'm wrong in thinking he's a mere yes man for Wilson.

Yes man to Wilson? The perception that Ralph Wilson has anything to do with the operation of the Buffalo Bills anymore is ridiculous. Do you really buy the fact that a 94 year old guy is controlling the organization and the president and C.E.O is merely playing Smithers to his Burns? The notion is laughable.

It's amazing to me how people can take a situation as complicated as the front office/organizational structure of a billion dollar NFL team and boil it down to what amounts to nothing more than a caricature.

The front office has done some very good things this year. The draft day trade, the hiring of Marrone instead of the hot coordinator of the month, getting rid of Sheppard, acquiring Thad Lewis, hiring Pettine, drafting Kiko (actually the draft as whole looks to be damn good), signing Manny Lawson, paying for Mario Williams (last year, but still)....my point is I've suffered through 13 years of some of the worst front office decision making in the NFL and we finally have what I think is competent and forward thinking management. Yet, we still complain. I understand why. 13 years of awful decision making has left many of us jaded and expecting the worst. However, I think if you took a step back and looked at the Bills objectively most would agree the ship is pointed in the right direction.

"Headed in the right direction","a rebuilding year". There are no such things because of the cap the NFL is a now league,

not what may happen in years to come. A 2-14 season can turn into a 14-2 season with the right coaches and front office.

There are no moral victories, you are what your record says you are. If you lose 16 games by 7 points or less, you are

still 0-16.

Horrible play calling means horrible coaching when you can!t gain 2 yards on 4 plays.

I'm not sure how a team remains in the 4-7 win category for 8 going on 9 seasons without a dysfunctional upper management group. And if one subscribes to the notion it's all the GM/coach/players fault, who precisely hires the GM?

Something is not right at OBD and the record spells that out. It's not normal for a team to ride the mediocrity roller coaster for so long without completely bottoming out or becoming a playoff caliber club.

They didn't establish any depth at CB, WR, OL and QB while being 20 million under the cap.

The lack of depth at CB has been the achilles all year. A tremendous scheme being ruined by the lack of personnel.

We have a head coach challenge that they fumbled where the opposing team recovered. Another challenge were he didn't even know the rules.

We have an undisplined team that is getting unsportmanship misconduct penalties every single game this year. Were is the discpline and accountabilty Marrone preached in his initial presser? Where is the culture change?

What I see is a front office that is performing as bad as it predecesers. Am I the only one not impressed with what Russ Brandon has done?

Ok:

CB -- NO team has great depth here because with the rules as they are finding the truly good ones is very hard and rare. (I cant think of one team with depth.)

WR -- Who was out there for them to sign as a DEPTH player that would have come in for a reasnable price? (you do not give a researve big money)

OL -- As a Pats fan this has as much do with your OL coach as it does with the players there.

QB -- NO ONE has a great back up, NO ONE.

Your new regime got what appears be a good QB for you in the draft as well as additinal WR.

How?

We have a losing record.

We don't win close games.

We don't win games in the division.

Tons of injuries and a lack of depth at multiple positions offensively and defensively.

Poor coaches challenges and time management.

Looks more of the same to me.

Last year through 6 games we had one more win, but our 3 losses were BLOW OUTS!! We have been in position to win every game this season. Thus is a team on the rise. Can't gain total roster depth in one off season. And you crying about injuries shows me all I need to know about you football IQ...

A pass?????? How about some credit for once!

Man, these bash the front office threads are annoying...I start one highlighting the good things they have done since the start of the offseason, and it gets locked. Someone else starts one to complain...not locked. Priceless.

First off, this front office has:

Traded Sheppard for Hughes = grade A: Sheppard is worthless and Hughes is giving us production on the field

Signed Lawson and Leonard = grade A: Based on value, these were two very quality signings

Did not OVER pay Levitre = grade A: You dont over pay for guards, just ask the Titans as they have wasted money twice now doing it (Levitre, Hutchinson)

Traded essentially Tavon Austin for EJ and Kiko and some change = grade A+: This was a steal

Draft grade overall = A: When your first four picks are EJ, Woods, Kiko, and Goodwin you earn an A for the draft. No way the old regime would EVER draft Kiko...this one did because it saw talent and did their due diligence...the old FO would not have even had him on their draft board (see Vontaze Burfict who I think would have been drafted by this regime)

Traded for Thad = grade A: Considering what we gave to get a QB who proved to be capable of being a quality backup and a guy who can win a game, thats an A\

Hired Marrone = grade B: I like Marrone, I think this was a good hire and he was a hot candidate for other teams and our guys signed him.

Hired Pettine = grade A: This guy has made a big difference on this defense, especially considering the insane amount of injuries we have had to withstand from KEY players on defense.

Hired Hacket = grade C-: This guy called a better game today and is getting better. And this is more on Marrone than the FO anyway as he was his guy.

Negatives: Not bringing in more help at Guard for depth at the very least, and not keeping T Jax. T Jax is negated by the pick up of Thad, who as far as I am concerned is pretty comparable to T Jax anyway.

I find it comical that people just think an entire football team is rebuilt in one off season, including QB and the Skill positions. This FO has done a pretty good job in its first season together and I love the direction of this team.

WE ARE LITERALLY 4 or 5 plays from being either 6-0 or at least 5-1. This is a young team who has been hit very hard by injuries (Starting QB, both RB's, backup QB, #1 WR, #4WR, #1 DB, #2 DB, #3 DB, Pro Bowl S, starting DE, starting LG, starting K) who has battled EVERY week til the very end.

This team is headed in the right direction. There is a lot of promise and potential with the team the FO put together...and for once, this team has something exciting about it and reason for hope. Hate towards the FO is soooooooo misguided right now that it is not even funny.

I'm a glass half empty kinda guy (working on that) yet I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm excited for the future of the Bills.

Now we need to get a SB win before the world ends within the next 20 years...

I am not going to spend all day defending my position. KC has had a pretty solid defense, and offensive weapons such as Bowe and Charles. Adding Smith helped a lot this year...

I am not going to spend all day defending my position. KC has had a pretty solid defense, and offensive weapons such as Bowe and Charles. Adding Smith helped a lot this year, along with a proven veteran nfl coach...

A pass?????? How about some credit for once!

Man, these bash the front office threads are annoying...I start one highlighting the good things they have done since the start of the offseason, and it gets locked. Someone else starts one to complain...not locked. Priceless.

First off, this front office has:

Traded Sheppard for Hughes = grade A: Sheppard is worthless and Hughes is giving us production on the field

Signed Lawson and Leonard = grade A: Based on value, these were two very quality signings

Did not OVER pay Levitre = grade A: You dont over pay for guards, just ask the Titans as they have wasted money twice now doing it (Levitre, Hutchinson)

Traded essentially Tavon Austin for EJ and Kiko and some change = grade A+: This was a steal

Draft grade overall = A: When your first four picks are EJ, Woods, Kiko, and Goodwin you earn an A for the draft. No way the old regime would EVER draft Kiko...this one did because it saw talent and did their due diligence...the old FO would not have even had him on their draft board (see Vontaze Burfict who I think would have been drafted by this regime)

Traded for Thad = grade A: Considering what we gave to get a QB who proved to be capable of being a quality backup and a guy who can win a game, thats an A\

Hired Marrone = grade B: I like Marrone, I think this was a good hire and he was a hot candidate for other teams and our guys signed him.

Hired Pettine = grade A: This guy has made a big difference on this defense, especially considering the insane amount of injuries we have had to withstand from KEY players on defense.

Hired Hacket = grade C-: This guy called a better game today and is getting better. And this is more on Marrone than the FO anyway as he was his guy.

Negatives: Not bringing in more help at Guard for depth at the very least, and not keeping T Jax. T Jax is negated by the pick up of Thad, who as far as I am concerned is pretty comparable to T Jax anyway.

I find it comical that people just think an entire football team is rebuilt in one off season, including QB and the Skill positions. This FO has done a pretty good job in its first season together and I love the direction of this team.

WE ARE LITERALLY 4 or 5 plays from being either 6-0 or at least 5-1. This is a young team who has been hit very hard by injuries (Starting QB, both RB's, backup QB, #1 WR, #4WR, #1 DB, #2 DB, #3 DB, Pro Bowl S, starting DE, starting LG, starting K) who has battled EVERY week til the very end.

This team is headed in the right direction. There is a lot of promise and potential with the team the FO put together...and for once, this team has something exciting about it and reason for hope. Hate towards the FO is soooooooo misguided right now that it is not even funny.

I agree for the most part if you are grading how well Whaley has done since taking over --- BUT, and this is a HUGE BUT, the FRONT OFFICE is Russ Brandon and no way does that clown get anything but an F for Failure -- he has been with Bills since 1997 and in top level position since 2006 -- that's over 7 years --- he was key decision maker and should not be running this franchise, IMHO --- only key FO person who is more worthless is Darcy

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

"Available" doesn't just mean on the street. Perhaps they would have had to give up at least a token draft choice for a guy already on a roster (Grossman, Freeman, etc). This would also mean having to pay(gasp!) a vets salary .Could have kept a Fitz or T Jax . They took the cheap way out. It probably cost them a win at Cleveland. TL may be OK, he was good enough yesterday. Bringing in Flynn even before TL's injury yesterday speaks volumes of them acknowledging their own mistake with Tuel. Their actions speak more loudly than words there. Leinart was a warm body to get through a meaningless preseason contest, nothing more.