17 Extra Days To Recover & Prepare

Dean Cain

Over our last 12 games, the Bills will have 91 days off between games, whereas our opponents will have 108 days.

We will play 6 games where we will be on the same rest as our opponents.

We will have 2 games where we will have more rest than our opponents. We will get 3 extra days to prep for the Bengals, & 4 days to prep for the Falcons after our bye. Ironically Atlanta plays a Thursday night game so they'll get an extra 3 days of rest, plus will have the added benefit of playing us on a neutral field in Toronto.

There will be 4 games where our opponent will have more rest, at Miami (+7 days extra rest bye week), at Saints the following week (+7 days extra rest bye week), home against the Jets (+7 days extra rest bye week), at Jacksonville (+3 days extra rest Jags play Thursday night and get 10 days to prep for us).

Rest & recovery is as important as preparation time. Chris Brown commented about this inequity around the time our schedule was released. I believe we've set some kind of consecutive seasons streak of having to play the highest number of games versus teams coming off their bye.

I understand the whole, the other team has more time to prepare and watch film and rest longer thing. But the way I see it, other than the getting more rest so their bodies are fresher example, it doesn't really matter. You can watch film all you want. There's nothing like live action football.

Good teams win even if their opponents are coming off of a bye. As long as we don't have any key injuries, we will be able to gameplan for our opponents just as well as they gameplan for us.

Not to mention, sometimes teams who rest too long are not in sync after the bye. Another example would be when teams clinch a playoff berth in week 16 and decide to rest their starters for week 17. Come playoff time, they don't play as good as they did in the regular season.

Good coaching is where it will start and playing together on the same page is where it ends.

Hopefully by the time our bye week comes, we'll be a very healthy team and hopefully the offense will have caught up to the defenses' playing level.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

I understand the whole, the other team has more time to prepare and watch film and rest longer thing. But the way I see it, other than the getting more rest so their bodies are fresher example, it doesn't really matter. You can watch film all you want. There's nothing like live action football.

Good teams win even if their opponents are coming off of a bye. As long as we don't have any key injuries, we will be able to gameplan for our opponents just as well as they gameplan for us.

Not to mention, sometimes teams who rest too long are not in sync after the bye. Another example would be when teams clinch a playoff berth in week 16 and decide to rest their starters for week 17. Come playoff time, they don't play as good as they did in the regular season.

Good coaching is where it will start and playing together on the same page is where it ends.

Hopefully by the time our bye week comes, we'll be a very healthy team and hopefully the offense will have caught up to the defenses' playing level.

Exactly...I did a quick search and as of 2010 at least, teams coming off a bye week since 1990 are .527...not that big an advantage if you ask me.

the bye week already!?!?! wow

Good the guys can heal up from their boo boos.

Gilmore will (should) be back too.

now that I took a minute to check

this is what I thought it was .... misleading

is this what they call Fuzzy Math?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

it's outrageously disproportionate

no other team in the league comes CLOSE to facing as many teams coming off byes and Thursday nighters

but, what can you do?

i imagine it impacts the first four or five plays, then after that, everyone's on the same plain again

Exactly...I did a quick search and as of 2010 at least, teams coming off a bye week since 1990 are .527...not that big an advantage if you ask me.

Except that's not the relevant statistic. We need to see the records of teams coming off a bye vs. opponents who are not.

I think it's horse carp that Division opponents don't have the same bye-weeks. They could even split 2-2 for the "premium" divisions like the NFCE and NFCN as long as both teams with the bye play each other on the week following that. NO team should get an advantage of extra time off a bye week. The Thursday night games are a different story. Teams get shorted three days going in, that gets evened out the following week.

JMHO.

Over our last 12 games, the Bills will have 91 days off between games, whereas our opponents will have 108 days.

We will play 6 games where we will be on the same rest as our opponents.

We will have 2 games where we will have more rest than our opponents. We will get 3 extra days to prep for the Bengals, & 4 days to prep for the Falcons after our bye. Ironically Atlanta plays a Thursday night game so they'll get an extra 3 days of rest, plus will have the added benefit of playing us on a neutral field in Toronto.

There will be 4 games where our opponent will have more rest, at Miami (+7 days extra rest bye week), at Saints the following week (+7 days extra rest bye week), home against the Jets (+7 days extra rest bye week), at Jacksonville (+3 days extra rest Jags play Thursday night and get 10 days to prep for us).

Rest & recovery is as important as preparation time. Chris Brown commented about this inequity around the time our schedule was released. I believe we've set some kind of consecutive seasons streak of having to play the highest number of games versus teams coming off their bye.

Yep, this discrepancy is big. Need to somehow get past the Browns. Rest for Bengals, and win that home game. And then go from there and get a half dozen starters back on the field.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Ya, bye weeks can really go either way. Couple of things that are important in terms of bye weeks IMO are 1. injuries and 2. coaching. If you're a team that's pretty banged up (like the Bills) a Bye week can really be great. Also, if you're a team with a great coach, just the thought of giving someone like Belichick an extra week to scheme against you is a slight advantage IMO.

Couple of things to note from what the OP stated:

We already got the Jets after they came off a Thursday night game, so Rex had an extra 3 days to prepare his schemes.

We will get the Dolphins after their bye week.

And then the Jets again after their bye week?

That's pretty rough to get so many games against divisional opponents coming off extended rest, IMO. We'll see how it plays out. At the end of the day if we're on a roll, who cares really.

Edited by bobobonators