The last play of the game vs. Panthers

bbb

The ops point is it was only 6 defenders and atleast one was a wide receiver, not a sure tackling safety. Valid concerns, but I disagree with his line that you just lateral for an easy touchdown. Having receivers engage in an option play 40 yards downfield is never an easy or gimme type play.

Percentages are always much higher if you can reach the end zone with the throw. I have seen "Hail Mary" type plays work many times in the past but have never seen a broken field lateral type play work in the NFL. Maybe there was one but I can't remember it.

I heard Panthers Coach Ron Riviera on Sirius leading up to their next game. Pat Kirwan asked him about the 6 sacks in the game...what were the reasons?...the QB, was it on the line, the D, etc.? He started with that one and said the Bills tried to trick them...."well, not trick us...they flat out blitzed." He said it was one of those things coaches always sit around and talk about: "What would happen if someone ever did that?" ...but then no one would ever really try it. He said after what he saw...maybe more people WOULD try it now, and laughed. It was - in technical terms - a ballsy call. We've really got some kind of coach on D boys and girls. :thumbsup:

If this was the Bills of old, we would have rushed 2, all dropped back, and the Hail Mary to the endzone would have either been caught or a PI penalty. It's nice to see us being aggressive and not waiting for the normal bad things to happen to us.

Here you go.

The original poster is right. There was no one on the Carolina receivers at all. That's a bit scary.

30a46rp.png

Thanks for posting this. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about and how I remember it. There are 4 guys wide open, with no resistance for 40 yards. This is scary!

NoSaint - I don't think I ever said this was an easy touchdown. But, I would take my chance with having three blockers/guys I can lateral to if that would even be needed, a full head of steam and guys back there that aren't used to open field tackles over a Hail Mary any day.

What would it take - one missed tackle?

Percentages are always much higher if you can reach the end zone with the throw. I have seen "Hail Mary" type plays work many times in the past but have never seen a broken field lateral type play work in the NFL. Maybe there was one but I can't remember it.

Here's one for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfebpLfAt8g

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

That would have been a hard TD not as easy as the OP thinks.

Thanks for posting this. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about and how I remember it. There are 4 guys wide open, with no resistance for 40 yards. This is scary!

NoSaint - I don't think I ever said this was an easy touchdown. But, I would take my chance with having three blockers/guys I can lateral to if that would even be needed, a full head of steam and guys back there that aren't used to open field tackles over a Hail Mary any day.

What would it take - one missed tackle?

Is that last sentence in your OP a phantom sentence?

A pitchback or two would have been an easy touchdown.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich