Stakes high as Bills ride w/rookie..ESPN

Kemp2Warlick

I hope Manuel proves he was the better pick than Smith!

That won't be proven one way or the other tomorrow. It'll be several seasons before the vote is in.

I hope he takes an early lead, though.

GO BILLS!!!

That won't be proven one way or the other tomorrow. It'll be several seasons before the vote is in.

I hope he takes an early lead, though.

GO BILLS!!!

I understand what you're saying there, but I think you're discounting the magnitude of the fallout from this game with regards to these two rookie QBs and the Bills franchise. With as little national press as the Bills get, to have Geno Smith beat EJ Manuel (that's the story like it or not) under the bright lights of the NYC media world, that would be a very heavy blow. It would be their perfect Bills bashing/hating story to write. It would be so easy that it would write itself...

"The stupid Buffalo Bills get beat by the QB they should have taken in the draft but were too stupid to draft him and they instead went and picked the loser, because they are the Buffalo Bills, they are stupid."

If the Bills lose this game it will be crushing because I really have the feeling that this team is on the ascent to great things. Losing to the Jets would be very bad. It's funny because as good as we all think the Bills are and that they should beat the Jets, all of the NYC media that I've read and heard this week have picked the Jets. The perceptions will get either become forged or drastically changed by reality after the game.

"The stupid Buffalo Bills get beat by the QB they should have taken in the draft but were too stupid to draft him and they instead went and picked the loser, because they are the Buffalo Bills, they are stupid."

....and in 3 years time, assuming EJ thrives and Geno is on his way out of the league, what will it matter what the media said after just 3 games into their careers?

I understand what you're saying there, but I think you're discounting the magnitude of the fallout from this game with regards to these two rookie QBs and the Bills franchise. With as little national press as the Bills get, to have Geno Smith beat EJ Manuel (that's the story like it or not) under the bright lights of the NYC media world, that would be a very heavy blow. It would be their perfect Bills bashing/hating story to write. It would be so easy that it would write itself...

If the Bills lose this game it will be crushing because I really have the feeling that this team is on the ascent to great things. Losing to the Jets would be very bad. It's funny because as good as we all think the Bills are and that they should beat the Jets, all of the NYC media that I've read and heard this week have picked the Jets. The perceptions will get either become forged or drastically changed by reality after the game.

From a fan's media driven, myopic perspective, sure. But I seldom buy into the hype. From a rational football evaluation standpoint, this is the just the 3rd game for both QBs and is just another early step in the maturation process.

GO BILLS!!!

From a fan's media driven, myopic perspective, sure. But I seldom buy into the hype. From a rational football evaluation standpoint, this is the just the 3rd game for both QBs and is just another early step in the maturation process.

GO BILLS!!!

I understand both of your points.

I guess one question is whether the aftereffects from a Jets win would/could alter the course of these QBs careers, Geno's positively and EJ's negatively.

I personally don't think so.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

GO BILLS!!!

I think that psychology plays a big part in the game of football. I think the Bills losing this particular game with all that's at stake and the rookie QB storyline would be a big blow psychologically to this team.

Not only that, lose this game to the Jets and they are staring a 1-3 record in the face with the Superbowl champ Ravens next week. Not exactly a recipe for "good times" ahead. This is not just another game for this franchise.

I think that psychology plays a big part in the game of football. I think the Bills losing this particular game with all that's at stake and the rookie QB storyline would be a big blow psychologically to this team.

Not only that, lose this game to the Jets and they are staring a 1-3 record in the face with the Superbowl champ Ravens next week. Not exactly a recipe for "good times" ahead. This is not just another game for this franchise.

In terms of how it impacts their record, especially in the division, yes, it's a big game. Good teams overcome adversity after losses. We'll see how the team responds in that event.

But I'm responding to the "EJ vs. Geno" aspect of this thread. It was posited that whoever the winning QB is would prove the other team made the right choice in drafting their QBs. I think that's nonsense. It will be a while before we know the relative "winner" in that regard.

Were you really expecting the Bills to be a threat this year? With all the changes? AND a rookie QB to boot? If that's the case, I can see why this game carries more weight for you.

GO BILLS!!!

The JESTS have a lot more to lose today. If they can't beat The Bills, their expectations for the season are in the dumpster. Rex will begin packing his bags and make an appointment with his Dermatologist to have that tattoo of his wifey wearing the Sanchize JESTS jersey removed - or maybe just re-inked into one where she's wearing a Santa's elf costume with open-toed sandals.