Australia

ajzepp

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was lucky enough to spend 3 1/2 weeks there for work a few years ago. If there was ever a country I would consider moving to, Australia would be it. The people were absolutely fantastic and genuine, the beers were awesome (one guy told me "Fosters???? I wouldn't wash my dog with that slop, that's why we export it"). The city of Sydney is great, and with a short ferry ride you can be at gorgeous beaches. The attitude of the residents is laid back, but still professional, I love the water and the city is nestlet on the coast with majestic cliffs and hidden bays. There was a place that must be the sister park of crystal beach, the amusement park (Luna Park) had the same architecture and design elements of Crystal Beach, it made me feel like I stepped back into 1968.

PS. I am at work and was not able to see the video that was posted, but whenever I hear someone mention Australia, I am jealous, as I would move there in a heartbeat.

Hmmm, Australia. Funnel web spiders, Box Jellyfish, great white sharks, blue ringed octopus, poisonous mammal.

sure. why not?

Open water tailgate!!! Woohoo!!!

I was lucky enough to spend 3 1/2 weeks there for work a few years ago. If there was ever a country I would consider moving to, Australia would be it. The people were absolutely fantastic and genuine, the beers were awesome (one guy told me "Fosters???? I wouldn't wash my dog with that slop, that's why we export it"). The city of Sydney is great, and with a short ferry ride you can be at gorgeous beaches. The attitude of the residents is laid back, but still professional, I love the water and the city is nestlet on the coast with majestic cliffs and hidden bays. There was a place that must be the sister park of crystal beach, the amusement park (Luna Park) had the same architecture and design elements of Crystal Beach, it made me feel like I stepped back into 1968.

PS. I am at work and was not able to see the video that was posted, but whenever I hear someone mention Australia, I am jealous, as I would move there in a heartbeat.

I'm glad to know that your impression after being there was similar to mine just watching them from a distance. It really does seem like they're sort of a throwback in terms of their behaviors and personalities, almost like it really was going back to the 60s. They seem to really embrace humor and many of the positive aspects of American society, while being less affected by some of our more negative personality traits (as a culture). And yes, I know that's a huge generalization, but it's all I have to go on at this point. I love how they seem to just be having FUN with life...it's a stark contrast to, I think, what one would observe just looking at our own culture from a distance.

I think it's interesting to see how Americanized they are....I thought they would be more like the Brits than us, but I'm not sure that's true. They seem to be the most conservative of the three countries (?). I'm always seeing their networks giving a value of how many hours "after the US sees it" in terms of their TV shows. I've seen commercials for Sons of Anarchy and Survivor most recently, and they always present it in terms of how soon after we see it that they get to see it there. It's kind of funny.

They apparently love our music and movies, in addition to our television. They call it "soccer" just like we do, and they have their own idea of football just as we do...that nobody else in the world plays except for them. I just want to go and hang out with these people :lol:

I'm glad to know that your impression after being there was similar to mine just watching them from a distance. It really does seem like they're sort of a throwback in terms of their behaviors and personalities, almost like it really was going back to the 60s. They seem to really embrace humor and many of the positive aspects of American society, while being less affected by some of our more negative personality traits (as a culture). And yes, I know that's a huge generalization, but it's all I have to go on at this point. I love how they seem to just be having FUN with life...it's a stark contrast to, I think, what one would observe just looking at our own culture from a distance.

I think it's interesting to see how Americanized they are....I thought they would be more like the Brits than us, but I'm not sure that's true. They seem to be the most conservative of the three countries (?). I'm always seeing their networks giving a value of how many hours "after the US sees it" in terms of their TV shows. I've seen commercials for Sons of Anarchy and Survivor most recently, and they always present it in terms of how soon after we see it that they get to see it there. It's kind of funny.

They apparently love our music and movies, in addition to our television. They call it "soccer" just like we do, and they have their own idea of football just as we do...that nobody else in the world plays except for them. I just want to go and hang out with these people :lol:

The weekends were the best, Friday night was Australian rules football (I'm not sure what level) and everyone would show up in the bars to watch the games. The girls would be dressed up nice (not sequins and tiaras, but nice clothes) and I was impressed how friendly they were. Saturdays were pretty much the same, but a different league or division was playing.

I had one run in where a guy heard my accent and said disparaging remarks about yanks and started the "what are you gonna do about it" crap. I was at a urinal and he could have taken a shot at me since I was taking care of business. I saw out of the corner of my eye a huge sasquatch like guy (Think R. Rich and NH Bills fan x 2) standing near the door watching the exchange. Sasquatch put his hand on the drunks shoulder and said, "Off with you now, back to your barstool" and guided the guy out. He smirked and said, "We have !@#$s here too, don't mind him". I thanked him for having my back and he sort of apologized for the guy. If I ever needed to disappear, I am sure you would find me somewhere in Sydney harbor, in the Rocks area on a barstool.

The weekends were the best, Friday night was Australian rules football (I'm not sure what level) and everyone would show up in the bars to watch the games. The girls would be dressed up nice (not sequins and tiaras, but nice clothes) and I was impressed how friendly they were. Saturdays were pretty much the same, but a different league or division was playing.

I had one run in where a guy heard my accent and said disparaging remarks about yanks and started the "what are you gonna do about it" crap. I was at a urinal and he could have taken a shot at me since I was taking care of business. I saw out of the corner of my eye a huge sasquatch like guy (Think R. Rich and NH Bills fan x 2) standing near the door watching the exchange. Sasquatch put his hand on the drunks shoulder and said, "Off with you now, back to your barstool" and guided the guy out. He smirked and said, "We have !@#$s here too, don't mind him". I thanked him for having my back and he sort of apologized for the guy. If I ever needed to disappear, I am sure you would find me somewhere in Sydney harbor, in the Rocks area on a barstool.

That is awesome lol.

I used to watch Aussie Rules Football on ESPN when I was a kid all the time. I haven't seen it in YEARS, but I used to love it. This was probably like in the mid-80s. I'm assuming this is the same sport they play now, yes? I could totally get into that, especially in a scene such as you described.

It's funny cause I was watching some American triva show several months ago, and the question was what was Australias top grossing film of all time. I took note of the answers and I looked up the films on IMDB. This wasn't the #1 Aussie film, but it was close... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118826/?ref_=sr_1 I decided to rent it to see what it was that drove so many Aussies to the theater, and it really impressed me that a quirky little indy film like this - one with pretty lousy acting and a simple story line - would be so popular. I can see the appeal for sure now, cause it's a film about a family that is steeped in lots of good-natured humor. Again, not to generalize or romanticize the culture, but it just is further evidence that I could really see myself fitting in with these people.

I don't know if Kiwi Bills Fan still posts here, but I used to be intrigued when he would post about uprooting his family and just moving to New Zealand. Being single, it would be even more feasible for me to do it. I found out recently that they even have male RNs! haha

I dont' really have much family left, and most of my closest friends are multiple states away from me...I would say that Australia and Canada are the only two countries I could say are realistic options.

Do you expect to head back there again any time soon? Does your job still take you there from time to time?

You know the history of Australia right? Settled by convicts and prostitutes... Just saying... ;-)

I dont know a lot about it, but yeah, I remember learning something along those lines...ironic! lol

I dont know a lot about it, but yeah, I remember learning something along those lines...ironic! lol

Georgia of the southern hemisphere... After we kicked the Brits out... That is where they sent the nasty's! Hey wait, you are from GA! :-P J/K

It sounds like a great place... You should contact CGF and AussieW (did I get the right handle name)?

Georgia of the southern hemisphere... After we kicked the Brits out... That is where they sent the nasty's! Hey wait, you are from GA! :-P J/K

It sounds like a great place... You should contact CGF and AussieW (did I get the right handle name)?

Hey, Im not FROM georgia lol

And I'm way ahead of ya...I was chatting with AussieW about it a few weeks ago...she's great!