Grand Theft Auto IV Sold 13 Million Units...

ajzepp

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my copy Tuesday and played a couple hours each of the last two nights. So far, it's incredible. I generally play one or two video games a year. This year it was BioShock Infinite and now, of course, GTA V. BioShock was an incredible game. Yet after a few hours of playing GTA V I remembered that Rockstar is playing in a different league than everyone else.

At one point I left the room, set my controller down and left my character standing on a sidewalk. When I sat back down I just watched what was going on around him for five minutes. The city seemed like a living, moving painting. Traffic flowed as pedestrians waited on crosswalks sipping their coffee. A woman walking past me took her phone out, pointed it at herself, smiled and took a selfie. The juxtaposition of leaving scenes like that, entering a mission and reengaging the hyper violent, misogynistic world that is GTA is both jarring and utterly satisfying.

There is a category of entertainment and art that include only the best of the best. I'm talking about the genre defining, groundbreaking things that insert themselves into society. In my world these include things like The Beatles, The Simpsons, Star Wars and The Sopranos. The GTA series and Rockstar have certainly earned their place in that pantheon.

Edited by Thisistheyear

I got my copy Tuesday and played a couple hours each of the last two nights. So far, it's incredible. I generally play one or two video games a year. This year it was BioShock Infinite and now, of course, GTA V. BioShock was an incredible game. Yet after a few hours of playing GTA V I remembered that Rockstar is playing in a different league than everyone else.

At one point I left the room, set my controller down and left my character standing on a sidewalk. When I sat back down I just watched what was going on around him for five minutes. The city seemed like a living, moving painting. Traffic flowed as pedestrians waited on crosswalks sipping their coffee. A woman walking past me took her phone out, pointed it at herself, smiled and took a selfie. The juxtaposition of leaving scenes like that, entering a mission and reengaging the hyper violent, misogynistic world that is GTA is both jarring and utterly satisfying.

There is a category of entertainment and art that include only the best of the best. I'm talking about the genre defining, groundbreaking things that insert themselves into society. In my world these include things like The Beatles, The Simpsons, Star Wars and The Sopranos. The GTA series and Rockstar have certainly earned their place in that pantheon.

I love that they don't mass produce these games and put them out every single year Call of Duty-style. Working on a game like this for 4-5 years allows them to do all of the stuff you just mentioned, a ton of depth and not a game that you will put away permanently after a couple months.

Excuse my ignorance and I think I know the answer to this question but what exactly is the premise of this "game"?

It's one of those things you can't really explain. You just have to play it.

That first time you carjack a taxi, pickup a hooker, drive to a secluded area and stop. Watch the car start rockin while your health goes up and your cash goes down. After she gets out of your car, you follow, beat the crap out of her with a baseball bat and take your money back. Then jack another car and drive over her corpse. Then you'll understand

It's one of those things you can't really explain. You just have to play it.

That first time you carjack a taxi, pickup a hooker, drive to a secluded area and stop. Watch the car start rockin while your health goes up and your cash goes down. After she gets out of your car, you follow, beat the crap out of her with a baseball bat and take your money back. Then jack another car and drive over her corpse. Then you'll understand

Are you sure your health AND cash don't go down while you're rocking in the car with her?

Started acting last night. Couldn't put the controller down. Didnt end up going to he'd until about 5am

That's how I'll be once I get going with the multiplayer free roam when it opens up in Oct...

BTW, if anyone wants to see actual live game play, go here:

www.twitch.tv

I was wondering why I couldn't find any live GTA streams on justin.tv...I used to go there all the time and have a blast watching people play. I guess it got so big that JTV opened a new site...twitch.tv

I was wondering about the multiplayer free roam thing. Thought I read somewhere that you can be in the same game with friends.

That was how I first became so interested...I happened to be on JustinTV watching a Bills game, and I saw some people broadcasting their game play of GTA IV....this was back in 2009, IIRC. The things people were doing were just incredible to me. There was this one group of retired cops who set up their own game within a game. They used the free roam multiplayer and their own knowledge of law enforcement (e.g. using authentic dispatch codes, following protocols, etc) to effectively create a "cops and robbers" simulation. It was really creative and clever. Then you'd have others who would just run around in groups trying to blow each other up, race through the city, stuff like that. I'd just never seen anything like it. To think that GTA V is bigger than GTA IV and Red Dead Redmption combined, in terms of the map, I can't wait to see what people do.

There are also all sorts of stunts inherent in the game, so it's fun to find those and to use different vehicles and such.

GTA4's multiplayer mode was lame, IMHO.

Really?? You must have been on a Playstation? I know the Xbox multiplayer was much more involved, at least initially...I think the PSN was behind Xbox Live in terms of online play. If you were on xbox, that really surprises me...I guess it just goes to show how far removed I was from the current gaming landscape, cause I was blown away by it.