Pro Football Hall Of Fame canidates announced

Just Jack

In the 16 game season era, the 1000 yard season = 62.5 yards/game........ <_< BFD

Durability in a back is a pretty big deal. A single or even a few 1000 yard seasons is common. 10 straight is not. Additionally 5 were 1300 or more (plus 1 at 1287) and only one was less than 1100

And that's ignoring his 40 catches a season

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Durability in a back is a pretty big deal. A single or even a few 1000 yard seasons is common. 10 straight is not. Additionally 5 were 1300 or more (plus 1 at 1287) and only one was less than 1100

And that's ignoring his 40 catches a season

Very good player IMO. I concede that. Just not great.

Very good player IMO. I concede that. Just not great.

I understand the take, and may even agree, but I didn't think it was quite fair to toss around the 67 yards a game rate to get to 1000- he was blowing past that and the length of time he did so was impressive. He was more than just a compiler, even if he didn't terrify opposing fans.

Why?

13 year career

8 1000 yard seasons

94 TDs

6 pro-bowls

2 all-pro

6th all time rushing yards

1993 Rookie of the year

1996 Comeback player of the year

2001 WP Man of the year

I understand the numbers.

In watching him play I just never felt like I was watching one of the greatest RB's to play the game. I think that there are better RB's than him.

Maybe he deserves to be in the HOF, but he can wait for awhile.

What I think will happen:

Brooks

Strahan

Dungy

Bettis

Jones or Shields

Humphrey

Since Strahan did not get in last year, I think they make an effort to get him in this year. I am on the fence as to whether they will put Bettis in this year. If they put in a coach, I think that Dungy goes in first of the group listed. There is some push for Tags, but I do not think that it is strong enough yet. They may put in both seniors candidates, but I think that Guy may be left out. However, if they put in a special teamer, it is going through the seniors committee and not the modern candidates. They seem to like using the seniors canididates as a way to not "waste" a modern era spot on people (see LeBeau, Dick). I see that as the only way someone like Tasker would make it. If Reed does not make it this year, I think he falls into the seniors abyss. There are too many other receivers they would want to put in and Reed would get lost in the shuffle.

What I think will happen:

Brooks

Strahan

Dungy

Bettis

Jones or Shields

Humphrey

Since Strahan did not get in last year, I think they make an effort to get him in this year. I am on the fence as to whether they will put Bettis in this year. If they put in a coach, I think that Dungy goes in first of the group listed. There is some push for Tags, but I do not think that it is strong enough yet. They may put in both seniors candidates, but I think that Guy may be left out. However, if they put in a special teamer, it is going through the seniors committee and not the modern candidates. They seem to like using the seniors canididates as a way to not "waste" a modern era spot on people (see LeBeau, Dick). I see that as the only way someone like Tasker would make it. If Reed does not make it this year, I think he falls into the seniors abyss. There are too many other receivers they would want to put in and Reed would get lost in the shuffle.

How does Dungy get in first? Few HC's have squandered more opportunities in the post season with so much talent--particularly on the offense.

How does Dungy get in first? Few HC's have squandered more opportunities in the post season with so much talent--particularly on the offense.

1st black HC to win a SB. Like I wrote above, a PC lock. I wouldn't vote for him. True, he was severely handicapped in Indy with Peyton Gump (Big Game Chump) at QB, but he has no true excuses for the Tampa Bay years.

1st black HC to win a SB. Like I wrote above, a PC lock. I wouldn't vote for him. True, he was severely handicapped in Indy with Peyton Gump (Big Game Chump) at QB, but he has no true excuses for the Tampa Bay years.

At the rate society is going there may be a team named the PC Express.

Exactly what Rico mentioned. I wouldn't put him in.

Honestly, I would put Clark Shaughnessy in before any of the coaches listed.