Moonshine...where to get it.

boyst

Since many have asked and asked at the game...that is, for those lucky enough to be at the TBD Opener you probably tasted the shine I brought. I couldn't bring the real stuff because I did not want to visit MRAGS at his place of employment for moonshining...

But, you can find it all across the country. It was started a few years ago and has taken off. It is from this area but now available everywhere. It began in 2007 and is one of only a few distilleries of its type in the country.

They have Apple Pie, Blueberry, Cranberry, Cherry, Original, Blackberry, and another.

http://www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com/

Shine with fruit flavors?? Shine with 40% alcohol??? That ain't shine.

But seriously the folks in WNY have some damn good stuff in their backyard.

http://fingerlakesdistilling.com/

shine has always been flavored. You can get the well beaded original straight shine but you can also get the flavors, too. I was telling someone at the game about some shine I had one time. It nearly killed me. I went blind for a few seconds. You know how when you push on your eyes and close then open them and things are solid black and then fuzzy? That happened when I drank this. It smelled like gasoline and paint thinner mixed with rubbing alcohol. It felt like drinking battery acid and it made my skin feel as if a hair dryer was placed on it just by drinking it.

It was not officially proofed but it was probably as close to 100% alcohol as it gets.

Shine with fruit flavors?? Shine with 40% alcohol??? That ain't shine.

But seriously the folks in WNY have some damn good stuff in their backyard.

http://fingerlakesdistilling.com/

Yeah I wouldn't consider any I that low proof flavored stuff true shine. Know a couple people that can get some legit stuff from the bills of West Virginia and it will put some hair on your balls that's for sure. The good stuff although obviously super potent, is surprisingly smooth.

I thought moonshine is grain alcohol, just the illegal version of say Everclear. Everclear is legal in Illinois... Yet, illegal in New York State... Probably why boyst brought the flavored stuff. I am pretty sure you can't buy unflavored grain alcohol in New York State. What is the law on bringing it in from other states? Can you legally bring in a bottle of Everclear into New York??

I have seen "moonshine" on the shelf of supermarkets in Indiana/Illinois... I kinda joked about it. It actually said: "Moonshine." I didn't look too closely but, it had to be an Everclear type product/grain alcohol.

That is the one thing nice about Illinois, you can get a bottle of anything in a supermarket. Matter of fact, just in after work on Sunday and a guy was buying a big bottle of Jack w/the rest of his groceries... "One stop, one shop!" "For all your family needs!" LoL...

Now... Indiana, you can get it anywhere... BUT not on Sundays... I think they have alcohol blue laws... I tried to buy wine in a supermarket after midnight: No go!

shine has always been flavored. You can get the well beaded original straight shine but you can also get the flavors, too. I was telling someone at the game about some shine I had one time. It nearly killed me. I went blind for a few seconds. You know how when you push on your eyes and close then open them and things are solid black and then fuzzy? That happened when I drank this. It smelled like gasoline and paint thinner mixed with rubbing alcohol. It felt like drinking battery acid and it made my skin feel as if a hair dryer was placed on it just by drinking it.

It was not officially proofed but it was probably as close to 100% alcohol as it gets.

The reason it "smelled like gasoline and paint thinner mixed with rubbing alcohol" is because whoever made it didn't pour off the methanol that's produced early in the process. The reason you "went blind" was because you drank freakin' methanol because some asshat didn't know WTF they were doing.

Anyone can make moonshine - it's a very simple process and it's quite easy to make it VERY strong.

Too bad about the gun thing/FOID card (which I have) in Illinois... Gotta head across the border to Indiana on anyday outside of Sunday for the one stop, one shop liquor and guns... Like hitting:

"Bufford & Sons: Liquor & Guns"

Need a gun? Magnum of Wild Turkey? You've hit the right place!

I just looked up Everclear and where it is illegal... Go figure that it is illegal in North Carolina? I wonder why?

"The alcoholic beverage called Everclear is illegal to sell in 14 states. These states are California, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Iowa, Michigan, New York, Nevada, Ohio, Washington, North Carolina, New Hampshire and Minnesota. Although it is legal in Virginia, it is not sold there due to the fact that the state liquor stores cannot sell any type of a grain alcohol that lacks flavor or color.The reason it is illegal is because it contains such a high percentage of alcohol. Everclear is 190 proof and is 95.6 percent ethanol alcohol and 4.4 percent water. This combination makes for an extremely powerful combination.Everclear has been listed in the Guinness World Book of Records as the most alcoholic drink. Guinness listed it in 1979 and has since banned any alcohol entries in their publications.There is a 151 proof of Everclear that is legally sold in California, Iowa, Florida, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Washington and West Virginia."

Too bad about the gun thing/FOID card (which I have) in Illinois... Gotta head across the border to Indiana on anyday outside of Sunday for the one stop, one shop liquor and guns... Like hitting:

I just looked up Everclear and where it is illegal... Go figure that it is illegal in North Carolina? I wonder why?

"The alcoholic beverage called Everclear is illegal to sell in 14 states. These states are California, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Iowa, Michigan, New York, Nevada, Ohio, Washington, North Carolina, New Hampshire and Minnesota. Although it is legal in Virginia, it is not sold there due to the fact that the state liquor stores cannot sell any type of a grain alcohol that lacks flavor or color.The reason it is illegal is because it contains such a high percentage of alcohol. Everclear is 190 proof and is 95.6 percent ethanol alcohol and 4.4 percent water. This combination makes for an extremely powerful combination.Everclear has been listed in the Guinness World Book of Records as the most alcoholic drink. Guinness listed it in 1979 and has since banned any alcohol entries in their publications.There is a 151 proof of Everclear that is legally sold in California, Iowa, Florida, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Washington and West Virginia."

once you flavor moonshine you lose percentages of alcohol....its both good straight and fruit flavored.....I have plenty in the house but I choose liquor and beer over it unless there is a party going on.

Moonshine is white whiskey - ie unaged. If you want to get closer to authentic I think a lot of producers put out products that are closer than what jboy likely had.... though you'll only likely buy them once. My last dabbling was buffalo trace white dog, which I think they put out at 125 proof(?) and tastes awful(!)

The 80 proof fruity ones do mix up into lovely cocktails though.

Edited by NoSaint

made in gatlinburg tenn http://www.olesmokymoonshine.com/about/, widely available and rumored to be pretty good as moonshine goes. i've enjoyed sipping it slowly on occasion (like a music festival) but the few times i had it at a party, i woke with a headache. and the "real" stuff round here, made for generations, usually has fruit in it.

The reason it "smelled like gasoline and paint thinner mixed with rubbing alcohol" is because whoever made it didn't pour off the methanol that's produced early in the process. The reason you "went blind" was because you drank freakin' methanol because some asshat didn't know WTF they were doing.

Anyone can make moonshine - it's a very simple process and it's quite easy to make it VERY strong.

This. Also, sometimes the illegal moonshiners use old car radiators as condensers, which often have lead in them...boom lead poisoning.

Just out of curiosity why the hell would you drink something like that?

I just thought the difference between Everclear and Moonshine is who produces it? Moonshine implies being made illegal and unregulated... That means whoever made it can still have kept the impurities, etc... Everclear, as its name implies is a pure regulated product.

Kinda like the difference between drinking reverse osmosis, purified water and say spring water... Right from the source.

Like AD pointed out... Do you know the asshat that distilled it? Is it not gasoline/methanol? LoL.

The regulated product has got to be so much safer! You wonder why North Carolina wouldn't sell the pure stuff? Wreck the business of the local yoakles? Of all states, you would think Everclear would be available?

I just thought the difference between Everclear and Moonshine is who produces it? Moonshine implies being made illegal and unregulated... That means whoever made it can still have kept the impurities, etc... Everclear, as its name implies is a pure regulated product.

Kinda like the difference between drinking reverse osmosis, purified water and say spring water... Right from the source.

Like AD pointed out... Do you know the asshat that distilled it? Is it not gasoline/methanol? LoL.

The regulated product has got to be so much safer! You wonder why North Carolina wouldn't sell the pure stuff? Wreck the business of the local yoakles? Of all states, you would think Everclear would be available?

some of my friends say they can judge it by how it burns. the color of the flame.; proabaly some validity if you think back to high school chemistry and the colors certain compounds burned over a bunsen burner. more importantly is the reputation of the moonshiner. make a couple people blind and you're not gonna be selling much moonshine in the rural areas it's generally made.

some of my friends say they can judge it by how it burns. the color of the flame.; proabaly some validity if you think back to high school chemistry and the colors certain compounds burned over a bunsen burner. more importantly is the reputation of the moonshiner. make a couple people blind and you're not gonna be selling much moonshine in the rural areas it's generally made.

LoL... Blindness is bad for business! LoL...