Jairus Byrd our Peyton Hillis Headache

I'm very thankful to have witnessed his rookie 3 interception debut. But yesterdays loss is Byrd's fault. Would have loved to see him hawk the ball and blast Amedola over and over. In 2011 the now washed up Peyton Hillis sat out games having a severe case of "Show me the money" bug aka strep throat. Byrd is doing the same thing w his contract issue w the mysterious plantar fasciitis affliction. He is awful for doing it and his team mates need to front him. He was not made a team captain but its still not enough. Look at his videos and the writers walking on egg shells over it. He is not sincere w his "it is what it is" and his waiting for the day that the pain goes away hopefully bf game day. This is not football toughness, this is a young mans poor timing to stop the posturing. Doug the GM is young and being challenged by a brat w the season having started. The team and GM must do something now. Byrd will play and cherry pick a victory and posture that he was the difference maker. It is a business but the season has kicked off. Byrd needs to suit up or become a ruined journeyman like Hillis.

Edited by John Belucheese

I'm very thankful to have witnessed his rookie 3 interception debut. But yesterdays loss is Byrd's fault. Would have loved to see him hawk the ball and blast Amedola over and over. In 2011 the now washed up Peyton Hillis sat out games having a severe case of "Show me the money" bug aka strep throat. Byrd is doing the same thing w his contract issue w the mysterious plantar fasciitis affliction. He is awful for doing it and his team mates need to front him. He was not made a team captain but its still not enough. Look at his videos and the writers walking on egg shells over it. He is not sincere w his "it is what it is" and his waiting for the day that the pain goes away hopefully bf game day. This is not football toughness, this is a young mans poor timing to stop the posturing. Doug the GM is young and being challenged by a brat w the season having started. The team and GM must do something now. Byrd will play and cherry pick a victory and posture that he was the difference maker. It is a business but the season has kicked off. Byrd needs to suit up or become a ruined journeyman like Hillis.

I don't know, it seems logically, he's only hurting himself by not playing. His 'value' is dropping, which means he knows he won't have teams interested in trading for him. Doug W stood strong and didn't cave, so I think he won the first battle with Byrd. Whaley still holds the upper hand.

Disagree.

I think its shrewd business sense, but bad "manliness"

(if) he played hurt last year, it was to get a big contract. (If) he played hurt last year and didnt get the contract, why should he do it again?

He probably thinks that even 8 games at full strength will generate better tape than 16 games hobbled (if, in fact, he is hobbled).

He might be wrong, but I'm sure Eugene Parker has weighed in on the situation for him. Nobody wants a locker room cancer, so his plan is probably to keep his head down, count his money, not get injured, and sail off to the Texans next year, once they admit to themselves that Ed Reed is done.

If the kid has any heart and a love for the game, and he could play if he chose to do so, then yesterday must have been hell for him to watch. Life is short, NFL careers end in the blink of an eye.....opening day at home starting Safety on a brand new D inside a ROCKING stadium against your hated division rivals and nemesis QB.......seeing your teammates on D come out and pop people.....

How many times can you be a part of a moment like that? Sad....when the supremely talented ones seem to think it lasts forever.

If the kid has any heart and a love for the game, and he could play if he chose to do so, then yesterday must have been hell for him to watch. Life is short, NFL careers end in the blink of an eye.....opening day at home starting Safety on a brand new D inside a ROCKING stadium against your hated division rivals and nemesis QB.......seeing your teammates on D come out and pop people.....

How many times can you be a part of a moment like that? Sad....when the supremely talented ones seem to think it lasts forever.

Reportedly, he has announced that he will not play until he is 100%.

This linky says Byrd "says he is not expected to play until he is 100%" but the NFL-AM crawl this morning, from one of its talking-head reporters, did not include that cop-out language, like its somebody else's decision (somebody other than himself or Eugene).

http://www.fantasysp...percent-to-play

Edited by maddenboy

Reportedly, he has announced that he will not play until he is 100%.

This linky says Byrd "says he is not expected to play until he is 100%" but the NFL-AM crawl this morning, from one of its talking-head reporters, did not include that cop-out language, like its somebody else's decision (somebody other than himself or Eugene).

http://www.fantasysp...percent-to-play

Byrd said on BB.com it was his decision and when he's ready he will play. Searcy and Williams and Leonhard didn't look bad at all yesterday.

Edited by purple haze

This is what I was thinking during the 2nd half - it was a glorious day, the team was winning, the crowd was rocking and on it's feet the whole game.

He says it hurt to watch and not play. If he's a player, it really should have.

Disagree.

I think its shrewd business sense, but bad "manliness"

(if) he played hurt last year, it was to get a big contract. (If) he played hurt last year and didnt get the contract, why should he do it again?

He probably thinks that even 8 games at full strength will generate better tape than 16 games hobbled (if, in fact, he is hobbled).

He might be wrong, but I'm sure Eugene Parker has weighed in on the situation for him. Nobody wants a locker room cancer, so his plan is probably to keep his head down, count his money, not get injured, and sail off to the Texans next year, once they admit to themselves that Ed Reed is done.

I've had PF myself and it is painful and i couldn't imagine playing football on a heel that hurt that much.

I agree with your views, he will get healthy at some point and then play. He is not going to go out there at less than 100% and potentially hurt his value.

Since it isn't my money, this is easy to say... Seeing as though we are piles under the cap, I suggest we wrap up CJ for the long haul, fill whatever holes we can in FA and then tag Tyrd's dumb a$$ again!!! I understand that may not be a popular decision around here, but I cannot see giving into a player bc he cries. This can spawn several conversations of 'a safety isn't worth that kind of jack' or 'it doesn't make sense to tag a malcontent player', but this Tyrd cat is in the prime of his career, tagging him again will just take away one more year he can play at a stud level for a different team, as well as put two years of childish behavior in the eyes of several NFL GM's which IMO may lower his price tag. That being said... There is ALWAYS one team out there willing to cough up the dough for a player, regardless of off field issues...

We

time to get serious with byrd and his agent. pup him now and tag him again next year. no long term contract for the b!tch.

Put him on the PUP list and see if he's motivated in another month. i'm done with all this drama.

We can't just PUP him guys. He wpould have to had fail his physical and since he passed and was put on the active roster its either IR or inactive.

Football is a business and Byrd's long term livilhood is at stake. Of course I want him out there, but honestly I can't blame him for being upset with the Bills FO. They have a track record of bad contracts, bad business and undervaluing players. Greer, Winfield, Pat Williams, Fletcher, Peters... I could go on for days. Meanwhile guys like Fitz and Kelsey get big money contracts and fail to live up to them.

Byrd has what 27 Turnovers the last few years? One of the best tacklers on the team and consistent performers week in and week out? If it was me, and they told me to prove it, again. I'd be pretty pissed too.

We

We can't just PUP him guys. He wpould have to had fail his physical and since he passed and was put on the active roster its either IR or inactive.

Football is a business and Byrd's long term livilhood is at stake. Of course I want him out there, but honestly I can't blame him for being upset with the Bills FO. They have a track record of bad contracts, bad business and undervaluing players. Greer, Winfield, Pat Williams, Fletcher, Peters... I could go on for days. Meanwhile guys like Fitz and Kelsey get big money contracts and fail to live up to them.

Byrd has what 27 Turnovers the last few years? One of the best tacklers on the team and consistent performers week in and week out? If it was me, and they told me to prove it, again. I'd be pretty pissed too.

When your safety is one of your best/leading tacklers, that speaks more negatively about your front 7 than it does positively about your back end, it would be much different if we ran an attacking D over that span, but most of his tackles (on running plays) were 10+ yards down field... The turnovers and ball hawking a lot with his big hits are really impressive, though...

time to get serious with byrd and his agent. pup him now and tag him again next year. no long term contract for the b!tch.

I'm frustrated because I want Byrd out there. But this view is completely one sided. If he gets injured playing on a one year deal, he loses millions. Parker has a slimy job but he is getting his players paid. If that was your family member, you'd want the same thing.

And I'd hate to get religion involved, but Byrd doesn't strike me as a guy to fake something.

I'm frustrated because I want Byrd out there. But this view is completely one sided. If he gets injured playing on a one year deal, he loses millions. Parker has a slimy job but he is getting his players paid. If that was your family member, you'd want the same thing.

And I'd hate to get religion involved, but Byrd doesn't strike me as a guy to fake something.

Was Byrd not offered a long term deal that paid him between 7-8million a year? If that's the case, where do you draw the line between sufficiently supporting your family and greed?

Was Byrd not offered a long term deal that paid him between 7-8million a year? If that's the case, where do you draw the line between sufficiently supporting your family and greed?

What in the NFL, owners or players, has ever been about "sufficient"?

Greed is what the NFL is all about. Not just players and agents, but owners as well.