The Key To This Game Was Fred Jackson On Offense

It was readily apparent after the 1st quarter. Hacket and Marrone unable to adapt their scheme. Too fosued on Spiller.

Dissapointing start with both of them.

1st half: Freddy = 5 carries, Spiller = 9 carries

2nd half: Fredy = 9 carries, Spiller = 8 carries

What game were you watching?

If I were an offensive coach, I would focus my offense on Spiller, so I don't see a problem here. I would be disappointed in him fumbling the ball and not being decisive to the hole.

It's not about going into the game featuring Spiller. I get that! It's about adapting IN-GAME realizing Jackson was the better matchup against their scheme today.

1st half: Freddy = 5 carries, Spiller = 9 carries

2nd half: Fredy = 9 carries, Spiller = 8 carries

What game were you watching?

Do you even know how to interpet # of carries. Your argument even shows Jackson wasn't "featured". At the very best Jackson had split carries with Spiller. My whole point is Jackson should have received the majority of the carries after the 1st quarter. More apparent strategy to focus on at halftime.

So you just proved my point, didn't you?

During the preseason, nobody even wanted CJ to play so he wouldn't get hurt because of the impact he has on this team.

Now he sucks and needs to play behind Fred again.

It's not about playing behind Jackson. Spiller is the starting RB. But when you see a matchup, don't you want to take adavantage of it? The Bills coaching staff didn't realize this which is concerning.

Do you even know how to interpet # of carries. Your argument even shows Jackson wasn't "featured". At the very best Jackson had split carries with Spiller. My whole point is Jackson should have received the majority of the carries after the 1st quarter. More apparent strategy to focus on at halftime.

It's not about playing behind Jackson. Spiller is the starting RB. But when you see a matchup, don't you want to take adavantage of it? The Bills coaching staff didn't realize this which is concerning.

Your initial post said

"It was readily apparent after the 1st quarter. Hacket and Marrone unable to adapt their scheme. Too fosued on Spiller."

I would say that changing Freddy's carries from 36% in the first half to 53% in the second half showed that they actually did adapt their scheme to the situation at hand.

Or maybe they realized that CJ can take any play to the house so you have to assume you keep giving him the ball because of what he can do. It didn't happen today.

I like the fact that we came out with 5 straight run calls on offense to start the second half.

Trying to understand why CJ wasn't given more screens, slants, pitches etc. (space plays. he needs space)

Hackett would do well to go back and watch Chan's screen game more carefully, he was great at drawing them up and getting CJ in the best position to use his wheels.

it's obvious that Jackson should be the starting running back on this team.for some reason Spiller still has not learned that's when you have one or two yards to go for a first down you head straight up field. he is still dancing at the line drives me crazy head up field man!

The bottomline is run CJ on the outside not the inside, have Fred run the inside. Sure it's gonna be transparent that way, but that is clearly where their strenghts are (and their weaknesses vica versa).

There's the adage (loosely paraphrased) that the great teams are so good that even when you know what's coming, you can't stop them. I'd like them to take this approach with CJ. They are clearly trying (and failing) to fit a round peg into a square hole by asking CJ to be a between the tackles runner. It's not his game. Get him in space and there will always be danger. It won't work all the time but the percentages are in your favor. If you find he's being well covered, someone else will be open.

I am in full agreement. NE was not prepared well for Jackson, and they knew exactly how to stop Spiller given the manner in which he was being used. Smart coaches adjust. Prove it, Doug. Jackson should easily have had 100 yards today.

yes, it's not about FJ better than spiller, it's that FJ was their best offensive weapon in THIS game, so "run him until he pukes" Hackett!

The bottomline is run CJ on the outside not the inside, have Fred run the inside. Sure it's gonna be transparent that way, but that is clearly where their strenghts are (and their weaknesses vica versa).

CJ can run on the inside. For that he needs a scheme which creates holes and slant lanes that Spiller can utilize to get his runs up the middle. He is not a break the tackle back like Jackson.