Pennsylvania man pays $7,143 property taxes in 1 dollar bills

Azalin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever paid property taxes before?

Have you ever had to settle up when you file your taxes on April 15th and had to write an actually check for all the taxes you owed for the previous year? I suggest you try it sometime.

Nevermind the burden of filing quarterly, or paying steep accounting fees in order not to be in violation of any of our tax laws found in the more than 73 thousand pages of the US tax code. Or, God forbid you hold any small government views, and have been publicly vocal about your stances, being bullied by the IRS or state tax offices.

Have you ever paid property taxes before?

Have you ever had to settle up when you file your taxes on April 15th and had to write an actually check for all the taxes you owed for the previous year? I suggest you try it sometime.

Property taxes yes, Federal taxes owed, no, i get money back. But id just pay and not be an idiot about it. They should have arrested this guy

Nevermind the burden of filing quarterly, or paying steep accounting fees in order not to be in violation of any of our tax laws found in the more than 73 thousand pages of the US tax code. Or, God forbid you hold any small government views, and have been publicly vocal about your stances, being bullied by the IRS or state tax offices.

Poor little baby

Property taxes yes, Federal taxes owed, no, i get money back. But id just pay and not be an idiot about it. They should have arrested this guy

Actually, he should have had his tax burden absolved for the office's refusal to accept payment. That's how our legal system works. He attempted to pay in legal US tender which states, on the bill: "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private".

Poor little baby

I know, right? I mean, who cares what hoops people have to jump through, or if they are being harrassed and bullied for their beliefs while attempting to comply with the law.

If I had to guess, knowing who we're talking about, it means that he qualifies for an earned income tax credit.

If I had to guess, knowing who we're talking about, it means that he overpays and gets a refund, but thinks it's free government money.

'Cause, y'know, the government just prints money and gives it out...

If I had to guess, knowing who we're talking about, it means that he overpays and gets a refund, but thinks it's free government money.

'Cause, y'know, the government just prints money and gives it out...

If I had to guess, knowing who we're talking about, because he gets a refund he thinks he didn't pay federal taxes.

For the rest of the story....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2013/09/05/man-pays-tax-bill-with-thousands-of-single-dollar-bills-to-protest-stolen-money/

Fernandes made his public statement to protest money that he claims is being "stolen" since he does not wish to "voluntarily" pay for services that he doesn't believe he benefits his family. Specifically, Fernandes' young children (ages 1, 4 and 7) are not enrolled in a brick and mortar school in the school district: Fernandes' wife is currently homeschooling the children. He said about the tax, "We don't even use the public system, yet I am being forced to pay all this money into a public school system. I don't think that's really either fair or just or even ethical. It would be the equivalent if McDonald's were to force vegetarians to pay for their cheeseburgers."

two points:

1) they have to take it from you before they can give any back, and the reason you get any back is because you voluntarily gave them more than they were demanding from you.

2) in a country that was literally founded, at least in part, upon the protest of unfair taxation, you would have tax protestors arrested. why am I not surprised?

Arrested him for what? Paying in legal US currency?

Just to exercise my spite, why else?

Put him in a cage, too

two points:

2) in a country that was literally founded, at least in part, upon the protest of unfair taxation, you would have tax protestors arrested. why am I not surprised?

Sorry, it was not just about taxes at all. There were many issues involed, trade monopolies that hurt American merchants, settlers not being able to kill Indians, supression of manufacturing, corrupt government and taxes. Literally, lol!