Travis wants to go to Miami...

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but there other backs that will be available that will make teams think twice about offering up a 2nd rounder when they can get these guys without giving anything up.

A-Train

Lamont Jordan

Marcel Shipp

Dominic Rhodes

Also, there are decent RFA's that can be had for less than a 2nd rounder.

Brian Westbrook (3rd)

Najeh Davenport (5th?)

Throw in some other teams that may move a RB - Browns, Broncos & Vikings, plus the three RB's expected to go in the 1st round (Williams, Benson, Brown).

This is why I'll be suprised if TD gets a 2nd rounder for him. I like the fact that they're leeting TH talk now. Move him early, before the market starts to define value.

206546[/snapback]

Those are all great backs. I would not take any of those you listed except as a back up.

Well of that bunch, Henry is the 4th or 5th best back.  James, Westbrookm and Johnson are all better backs, with Jordan and Henry splitting who is 4 or 5. 

You also forgot Alexander, from your list.

Also, you forgot, Chester Taylor who did a decent job when Lewis was out suspended and injured.

Let's not forget Ron Dayne, who is a similar back with better hands.

Jonathon Wells, who is an excellant back down in Houston. 

Anthony Thompson will get some looks. 

Buckhalter as well will get lots of looks to start elsewhere.

Finally 4 players who will start or be a significant backup, without being a cancer on their team.

Davenport

Chatman

Emmitt Smith

Zereoue

So when all is said and done,  TH is easily behind Alaxander, James, Johnson and Westbrook.  He is also probably behind Chatman, who is a good backup to LT.  Atrin is also probably ahead of TH.  TH is even with Dayne, Davenport, Wells, and Jordan, in reality. 

You really need to take your hometown blinders off and look at the reality of who is out there.  There is a legit 10 guys there not even counting rookies to be drafted who would start on a lot of teams.  To make it worse most of these guys are better lockerroom players and team players first.  They do the little things like block and catch.  Congratulate the other guy when he scores a TD, not sulking on the sideline.

For a full list:

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/...asp?Position=RB

Oh yeah and all of this is up in the air if Ricky comes out of retirement.

206605[/snapback]

I disagree with most of your take, but the Ricky out of retirement was the kicker. Who would want him on their team? Ricky is a better locker room & team player than Travis?

I disagree with most of your take, but the Ricky out of retirement was the kicker. Who would want him on their team? Ricky is a better locker room & team player than Travis?

Williams will have to sit-out the first 4 games of 2005 since he didn't file his papers to serve his suspension at the end of THIS season. Basically, Williams is non-factor in the RB market this off-season since even if a team DID sign him, they'd need another RB for the first 4 games. Dumb.

Why do so many of you assume Henry will not play well elsewhere?  I do not want us playing him twice a year.  He's a punishing runner and would have all the more incentive to make us pay if he ends up in out division.

This dump-on-Henry movement is classic Bills fan behavior.  Either you are the savior of the world or you are dogcrap.  No in-between allowed. 

Remember how many TD's Antowain Smith scored against us while he was with the Pats?  The long game breaking runs late in the games?  He played better against us than he did against any other team in the league.  It didn't make him a great runner, but he was good enough to hurt us.

206471[/snapback]

Exactly! All Travis wants is to go somewhere he can be a starter. I don't blame him a bit. Not to mention the opportunity for a big contract in the future if he plays well. Not sure what the "don't let the door hit you" stuff is all about. We just need to get value for him.

I'd love to squeeze a 2nd rounder out of miami straight up for travis...  Although with all the front office crap going on down there, i'd not look past actually getting their #1 for him.

edit:  That would give us two 2nd round picks next year.  That would most definitely bring the Nuge to buffalo.

206400[/snapback]

That would be the best deal so far.

Whether we trade Travis to Miami largely depends on whether Miami falls in love with someone at the top of the draft. If they aren't in love with someone at the top, they could trade down a few spots, pick up a second rounder, and trade the second rounder to us for Travis.

Angh (trying to make the "wrong" buzzer sound)!  I'll give you Alexander and James (who will be franchised), but Johnson is NOT better, A-Train CERTAINLY is not, and the others are worse if not mostly unproven because they're all backups.  Take off your Henry-hating blinders, and when you realize the number of teams who will be in the market for RB's and what teams REALLY think of the RB's who will be available, Travis will be one of the most sought-after.

206725[/snapback]

I think we are on the same page as where Henry ranks in those backs. My point is a team would probably rather sign an Anthony Thomas without giving away a pick, than use a 2nd rounder to get Travis.

I'd love to squeeze a 2nd rounder out of miami straight up for travis...  Although with all the front office crap going on down there, i'd not look past actually getting their #1 for him.

edit:  That would give us two 2nd round picks next year.  That would most definitely bring the Nuge to buffalo.

206400[/snapback]

With Miami picking 2nd in the draft, that will be the closest to a 1st rd draft

pick we will get for TH.

I loved watching TH because he is so damn tough and I thought played his heart out while he was the starter (as soon as heart picks up a blitzing LB let me know). What was more revealing about THs heart to me was TH's response to adversity in the form of Willis McGahee. A true competitor would have worked hard and played his ass off every chance he got to get back in the starting lineup or at least to garner more attention in the off season. Instead of doing that TH pouted and ruled himself out of playing in games showing no heart and no real concern over team success, and because of that I can't wait until he's gone and I hope he does stojan elsewhere.

I loved watching TH because he is so damn tough and I thought played his heart out while he was the starter (as soon as heart picks up a blitzing LB let me know). What was more revealing about THs heart to me was TH's response to adversity in the form of Willis McGahee. A true competitor would have worked hard and played his ass off every chance he got to get back in the starting lineup or at least to garner more attention in the off season. Instead of doing that TH pouted and ruled himself out of playing in games showing no heart and no real concern over team success, and because of that I can't wait until he's gone and I hope he does stojan elsewhere.

209003[/snapback]

well if there is something Travis was/is all his life is being the underdog. He was drafted by the Bills, first he was a backup, when it was clear he was the better back among Bryson and Morris. He then had his shot and did a great job with it. He was the clear starter going into 2002 season and what did he do, work hard in the offseason, in Buffalo. Lowered his body fat to increase his burst. He responded with a 1438 yards season and 13 TDs with a healthy 4.4 avg. in a pass happy offense. Obviously he had his problems as he had 11 fumbles, and lost 8 them.

Enter 2003 and worked even harder than the previous year trying to fix his fumble problems and ran for 1356 yards with 10 TDs, with a 4.1 avg. as the sole weapon on offense. He had 7 fumbles, lost 3 of them. So his work in the offseason paid off, even though more work was in line for improvment.

Finally when he thought that he gave his all and was a proven back in the NFL the FO goes out and pick a RB in the first round. To him it was a slap in the face and it was the right reaction, he did wrong in leaking it to the press. He knew his days were numbered. He played the good soldier all year, but oh he didn't high fived with Willis after he scored, big deal. Go ask Willis if Travis was a cancer. He mentioned to the press that he had a very good relationship with Travis, they weren't close but they respected and helped each other as teammates of the Buffalo Bills. Even Mularkey said that there wasn't anything wrong with Travis' behavior after he was benched.

He had a very poor start this year and McGahee stepped up to the plate and never looked back.

Travis will do fine elswhere and I hope we don't have to face him twice a year.

good luck Travis.

Top 5 back? Maybe top 12-15. I always liked Travis but WM is the better back. TH makes too many mental and physical mistakes. Go back to the critical third and 2 inches against NE in the game at home. He stumbles and falls on third down and then goes the wrong way on fourth down. He can run well at times, plays very hard for you but you can get better backs elsewhere. He is no Corey Dillon for which the Pats gave up a second round pick.