USGS reports 2.7 quake near Lake George

Just Jack

A little spin on the words from your boys from Oakland:

If the fault don't get you the firestorm will.

:-P :-P

Yup because I've been in CA for 30 years and we've had to evacuate a total of zero times and and we've spent minutes putting our house back together after quakes. Straightening out all those pics is a B word.

I'll take that over snow which you know will be there every year back east.

Yup because I've been in CA for 30 years and we've had to evacuate a total of zero times and and we've spent minutes putting our house back together after quakes. Straightening out all those pics is a B word.

I'll take that over snow which you know will be there every year back east.

Were you in the Oakland Hills for the 1991 firestorm?

I was just funning you w/the previous comment... I actually look more forward to shoveling snow than mowing grass. Snow you can live with... No matter how much. IMO. I think the safest place to live away from natural calamity is Cleveland... LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Were you in the Oakland Hills for the 1991 firestorm?

I was just funning you w/the previous comment... I actually look more forward to shoveling snow than mowing grass. Snow you can live with... No matter how much. IMO. I think the safest place to live from natural calamity is Cleveland... LoL...

We're not too far. Maybe five miles. It's not the snow I mind so much as the cold and the brown snow from the wet roads and the mud when it melts.

We're not too far. Maybe five miles. It's not the snow I mind so much as the cold and the brown snow from the wet roads and the mud when it melts.

So true! My sister lives up in Vermont and they joke about some of their seasons: Winter then Mud Season... Then August... LoL! I would just rather have it freeze solid from November to April!

I suppose fire threat is down nowadays with more understanding of the reactions to our environmental policies... BUT new ways always bring a new set of problems (like my comment in the guerilla gardening thread). I would still take mud and snow over fire threat any day. Even if that fire threat was once every 20 years, which I find hard to believe... It has to be a constant summertime threat that looms over certain areas. I'd hate that threat that seems like a yearly demon hanging over people's head. Especially the idiot citizens cause the problems in the first place... Like campfires and fireworks. I like taking my chances w/mother nature alone w/out any help from Joe the Plumber and his vacationing family.

Interesting read on how grazing goats may be protecting you on the West Coast:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/07/05/spread-of-oakland-hills-fires-slowed-thanks-to-grazing-goats/

Human arrogance has always been around... A lot think they live in paradise until a place like Santorini goes up... Even if it is an eternity ago. Not saying one place is better than the other, none are. Yet, it is like the old saying: "You can pay me now or you can ALWAYS pay me later." I prefer now, in little increments like snow, cold, and mud.

So true! My sister lives up in Vermont and they joke about some of their seasons: Winter then Mud Season... Then August... LoL! I would just rather have it freeze solid from November to April!

I suppose fire threat is down nowadays with more understanding of the reactions to our environmental policies... BUT new ways always bring a new set of problems (like my comment in the guerilla gardening thread). I would still take mud and snow over fire threat any day. Even if that fire threat was once every 20 years, which I find hard to believe... It has to be a constant summertime threat that looms over certain areas. I'd hate that threat that seems like a yearly demon hanging over people's head. Especially the idiot citizens cause the problems in the first place... Like campfires and fireworks. I like taking my chances w/mother nature alone w/out any help from Joe the Plumber and his vacationing family.

Interesting read on how grazing goats may be protecting you on the West Coast:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/07/05/spread-of-oakland-hills-fires-slowed-thanks-to-grazing-goats/

Human arrogance has always been around... A lot think they live in paradise until a place like Santorini goes up... Even if it is an eternity ago. Not saying one place is better than the other, none are. Yet, it is like the old saying: "You can pay me now or you can ALWAYS pay me later." I prefer now, in little increments like snow, cold, and mud.

I don't give it any thought. Thinking about the what ifs will drive you nuts. And yes I see the goats on the hills in the late spring early summer. I'd like to get a couple. You can own them here in Oakland. I'd save money on the milk I have to buy when I make cheese.

I don't give it any thought. Thinking about the what ifs will drive you nuts. And yes I see the goats on the hills in the late spring early summer. I'd like to get a couple. You can own them here in Oakland. I'd save money on the milk I have to buy when I make cheese.

Cool... I'd Like to have a couple here too! Throw 'em on the lawn... They'd still mow faster than my son! And less hassle too!

Oh, EDIT: Some residents of NOLA didn't give it any thought that ground water was seeeping up into their yards in February... 6 months BEFORE Katrina hit... While local gov't was stumping and removing trees in the area. Gee you think? They live 8 feet below sea level, surrounded by levees. I wonder where that water was coming from? ;-) Seems those residents never gave it a thought too. Peaceful bliss even after Mother Nature signals, months before said disaster, to get the !@#$ out!

Oops... Me busted! LoL... Sorry to diss Syracuse!

I wonder if they are from Goats R Us. They use them a lot on the steep sides the highways instead of using mowers. Was stuck in a 3 mile backup once because idiots had not seen goats before.

I wonder if they are from Goats R Us. They use them a lot on the steep sides the highways instead of using mowers. Was stuck in a 3 mile backup once because idiots had not seen goats before.

LoL... Really? They are probably really good at eating up all the under growth. That was the problem, for years the undergrowth was just left to just build up. Kinda cool that they are getting creative!

Better yet biodynamic wineries use them to get rid of the weeds between the rows of vines and use the poop they leave behind as fertilizer.

Interesting. I wonder how that works out? Do they have problems w/the goats going "high" and eating the grapes? Gotta be a way they protect the good stuff! ?? Who the heck wants to eat weeds when there are beautiful grapes to be had! ;-) I wouldn't blame the goats. :-)