the QB competition is over - EJ is your winner

papazoid

If they keep Kolb, they'll lose Tuel to a poacher. There's little chance that Tuel makes it through waivers. On the other hand, if they keep Smith as a ST/WR/QB at the expense of Kolb, that would open up a WR spot for one of the young guys whereas if they kept all 3 QBs on the active roster it would mean one less WR for sure.

We'll see how it shakes out in a week I guess.

jack of all trades, master at none.

B. Smith is the WORST QB on the team.

B. Smith is the WORST RB on the team.

B. Smith is the WORST WR on the team.

B. Smith is the WORST KR on the team.

keep Tuel, cut B. Smith

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont twist my words. Nothing wrong with more encouragement. He's already confident and commanding the offense.

There's nothing wrong with encouragement -- it doesn't strike me that he is not receiving enough. Nor is there anything wrong with sticking to your guns and letting the guy complete camp as the clear victor. It usually all shakes out by game 3, so I see no reason to go and name Manuel the #1 yet. It might make the Bucky Gleasons of the world happy, but on the bright side, if Marrone waits, we have something to complain about.

Really, other than "boosting his confidence," what is the reason? You need to go into the season with prepared QBs, so I don't think that reps sharing is an issue yet. I can't think of another good reason other than placating the fans... which should be low on Marrone's list. Good results will please them more than anything.

I recall when Marrone made the announcement that Kolb would start this game. Then I went to the video of EJ's presser and you could tell that even though he was being very professional about it that it bothered him a great deal.

I think a lot of people underestimate EJ's competitive fire and his desire to be great.

Dogging you???

I was stating that:

1) It was ridiculous to suggest cutting Kolb and replacing him with _______________ (your suggestion) who doesn't even know the offense.

2) It is ridiculous to cut Kolb before he had even played in a game for the Bills.

I could easily go back and reprise many of your comments about the Bills offseason decisions (you're not a strong supporter) but I'll stay away from any more cheap shots.

I hope you do the same.

Reprise all you want, I'm not afraid to be wrong but I think you will more likely find the VAST majority of my points to be spot on. I've just had it with the likes of Kolb, Holcomb, Edwards etc... I don't want to ever see that kind of QB in Buffalo ever again.....and having a new regime come in and hold a press conference with this turd talking about how he thinks he can take this team to the Super Bowl was certainly cause for concern about their judgement.

keep Tuel, cut B. Smith

best post of the year!!!

Reprise all you want, I'm not afraid to be wrong but I think you will more likely find the VAST majority of my points to be spot on. I've just had it with the likes of Kolb, Holcomb, Edwards etc... I don't want to ever see that kind of QB in Buffalo ever again.....and having a new regime come in and hold a press conference with this turd talking about how he thinks he can take this team to the Super Bowl was certainly cause for concern about their judgement.

Well Metzelaars warned me and I admitted to him that I'd not really seriously watched Kolb play.

Having watched his performance yesterday (even taking into account a bit of adversity he's had to deal with) I agree with both of you that he doesn't look like anything more than a mediocre quarterback.

I also agree that the discussion about cutting Kolb has grown more legitimacy. There are two weeks left in the preseason so a lot of this stuff will sort itself out.

I think most of you are way to caught up in what EJ has accomplished so far considering I've still only seen a one dimensional offense like the one Gailey ran with mostly quick, short passes. (With an occasional mid deep pass, for 27 yards) The one thing we all learned over the last 3 years that a one dimensional passing offense doesn't win many games.

Granted, EJ has done his job at QB very well despite the fact that it was against mostly 2nd & 3rd stringers, and he has exceeded most everyone's expectations so far. But, he still has yet to face a #1 defense for 4 QTR's, so I'm not ready to throw Kolb under the bus just yet.

That Minnesota defense was in the playoffs last season so the starters aren't exactly god awful. The very last thing I want to see is the Bills with 2 rookies at QB going into the 2013 season...that's just nuckin futs.

The amazing thing for me is he did it with another set of receivers in this game and without our best receiver suiting up. Manuel will be loaded up with weapons. The run game has been fantastic and will only allow him to further develop. I'm optimistic we can be a .500 club now.

I'm optimistic we can eek by Manning in the AFC championship game, & match up well with Kaepernick in the SB. Sorry...somebody had to teach you optimism!

I think most of you are way to caught up in what EJ has accomplished so far considering I've still only seen a one dimensional offense like the one Gailey ran with mostly quick, short passes. (With an occasional mid deep pass, for 27 yards) The one thing we all learned over the last 3 years that a one dimensional passing offense doesn't win many games.

You mean the "quick-short passes" type of offense that has lead Brady and company to 3 Super Bowls and a hall of fame career? Yea, that doesn't win many games...

Can you point me in the direction of a purely "vertical attack" with as much success?

You mean the "quick-short passes" type of offense that has lead Brady and company to 3 Super Bowls and a hall of fame career? Yea, that doesn't win many games...

Can you point me in the direction of a purely "vertical attack" with as much success?

NO, the short passing game that Chan Gailey ran and sucked for the last 3 years. All teams can run that version of an offense. What differentiates the good offenses from the bad ones are the teams that can also complete mid range and deep passes on a consistent basis.

Don't even try and compare Tom Brady and the Patriot offense to what the Bills ran the last 3 years, as the Patriots were never limited in their passing offense in any way. Although, Gailey did think he had Brady behind center when he kept calling mostly shotgun passing plays with a broken QB, limited offensive scheme and receiving corps.

NO, the short passing game that Chan Gailey ran and sucked for the last 3 years. All teams can run that version of an offense. What differentiates the good offenses from the bad ones are the teams that can also complete mid range and deep passes on a consistent basis.

No, it's being able to execute on a consistent basis. The Gailey Bills weren't able to do that.

Edited by Thurmal34

No, it's being able to execute on a consistent basis. The Gailey Bills weren't able to do that.

Disagree, I'd have to say that the Gailey Bills had no trouble "executing" the quick / short passes to the tune of 3000 yds, 3800 yds, 3400 yds the last 3 years. It was the lack of a decent mid to deep passing scheme that made the offense mostly one dimensional due to a bad scheme, and bad QB.

keep Tuel, cut B. Smith

But, for the price of one roster position you get emergency backups for four positions. I'd like to see them keep Tuel as well. In my opinion the kid has earned that much. But I can see where Marrone might not want to cut Smith.

But, for the price of one roster position you get emergency backups for four positions. I'd like to see them keep Tuel as well. In my opinion the kid has earned that much. But I can see where Marrone might not want to cut Smith.

if it came down to you could only keep one, i'm keeping tuel.

in fact, I would rather use B. Smith's roster spot on a second kicker (one for FG's and one for Kickoffs).

Brad smith is the 4th QB, the 8th WR, the 5th RB and the 10th best KR on this team. now that the wildcat is gone, he's unlikely to see the field.