Marrone and young talent

I'm wondering a little bit (but not necessarily worried), if this staff won't be prone to hand the keys to the younger players, all things being equal. Marrone has coached college the past four years and might feel like he has a pretty good handle on working and growing with that age-group as a coach. There could be wisdom yet in getting Marrone with a young corps leading the way. I don't get the feeling he will be trying to do everything the way it worked in college, nor do I feel like he will be afraid to play to players' strengths.

I have no evidence on whether past hires out of the college ranks have tilted toward keeping their younger guys in the camp cuts, but it could make for an interesting quantitative study.

I think I understood it, but I am not sure of a greater point - if you're saying that is good or bad?

The obvious is obvious. The cons being if you hand over the keys too early you expose the players, bank on the wrong ones, inhibit growth. The Pro's being they get more reps, and other stuff.

When the ones who have had the keys keep repeatedly driving into bridge abutments, perhaps the keys should be given to someone else...

Maybe we should drive on down to the Hometown Buffet, and make sure Chan isn't handing out spare duplicates.

What?

I wonder if Marrone would rather coach up younger guys than deal with experienced guys whose only advantage might be experience (and who might be set in their ways).

Make more sense?

dafuq did I just read?

I don't know, but see above and respond... or don't.

I wonder if Marrone would rather coach up younger guys than deal with experienced guys whose only advantage might be experience (and who might be set in their ways).

All I know is that Marrone spent 4 years kicking around as a professional football player before spending 7 years as an NFL coach.

I think this concern would be more validly applied to a guy like Chip Kelly who never spent even a single day in the NFL.

All I know is that Marrone spent 4 years kicking around as a professional football player before spending 7 years as an NFL coach.

I think this concern would be more validly applied to a guy like Chip Kelly who never spent even a single day in the NFL.

No doubt. I am not really concerned about it; more curious than anything else. Given that we discuss keeping only 2 QBs and people are suggesting that it might be best to keep only the two rookies, and given that Brad Smith's validity as a receiver is in question, I don't think it's that crazy to ask if Marrone will prefer to keep experience on his roster or to roll with younger guys that he feels will have more upside. And this is really more of a question concerning the positions that are up for grabs. Obviously he is going to recognize the talent of an established starter.

If this is as stupid or opaque as it appears to sound to others and isn't worth discussing,, I'll close the thread.

No doubt. I am not really concerned about it; more curious than anything else. Given that we discuss keeping only 2 QBs and people are suggesting that it might be best to keep only the two rookies, and given that Brad Smith's validity as a receiver is in question, I don't think it's that crazy to ask if Marrone will prefer to keep experience on his roster or to roll with younger guys that he feels will have more upside. And this is really more of a question concerning the positions that are up for grabs. Obviously he is going to recognize the talent of an established starter.

If this is as stupid or opaque as it appears to sound to others and isn't worth discussing,, I'll close the thread.

I have no problem with the topic.

I just don't have concerns akin to the one you suggested although again, I could see where Philly fans could have these concerns.

Make more sense?

No. I'm not trying to be a smart ass either. We haven't been to the playoffs in how long???? Why would a new guy be interested in keeping and coaching what he knows didn't work? I don't think this is Marrone specific. If he were replacing the guy in New England would he not obviously be more interested in keeping the current players that have proven success? :unsure:

No. I'm not trying to be a smart ass either. We haven't been to the playoffs in how long???? Why would a new guy be interested in keeping and coaching what he knows didn't work? I don't think this is Marrone specific. If he were replacing the guy in New England would he not obviously be more interested in keeping the current players that have proven success? :unsure:

Personally, I'd trade that Brady fella while he still has some value.

I'm wondering a little bit (but not necessarily worried), if this staff won't be prone to hand the keys to the younger players, all things being equal. Marrone has coached college the past four years and might feel like he has a pretty good handle on working and growing with that age-group as a coach. There could be wisdom yet in getting Marrone with a young corps leading the way. I don't get the feeling he will be trying to do everything the way it worked in college, nor do I feel like he will be afraid to play to players' strengths.

I have no evidence on whether past hires out of the college ranks have tilted toward keeping their younger guys in the camp cuts, but it could make for an interesting quantitative study.

The coaching staff have repeatedly said that they will put their *BEST* 11 players on the field. If the 11 happens to be all rookies/sophomores then that is what the coaches will play.

I think Marrone's priority is going to be getting guys that really buy into what he is trying to do. I remember reading the stories of how dozens of players at Syracuse left (apparently of their own volition) with the suggestion being he pushed the weak links out. There are obviously different parameters here, but I think if there are veterans who don't give 100% effort and commitment (or rookies for that matter - Da'rick I'm looking at you) they will be gone. With that said, I also think he understands the benefit of having established veterans with the right attitude who can show these rookies how it's supposed to be done. My personal opinion is that most of our veterans do fall into this category, although unfortunately it hasn't really been combined with the talent to win football games.

I think Marrone's priority is going to be getting guys that really buy into what he is trying to do. I remember reading the stories of how dozens of players at Syracuse left (apparently of their own volition) with the suggestion being he pushed the weak links out. There are obviously different parameters here, but I think if there are veterans who don't give 100% effort and commitment (or rookies for that matter - Da'rick I'm looking at you) they will be gone. With that said, I also think he understands the benefit of having established veterans with the right attitude who can show these rookies how it's supposed to be done. My personal opinion is that most of our veterans do fall into this category, although unfortunately it hasn't really been combined with the talent to win football games.

Right. And it's looking like Brad Smith will be a borderline guy who would stay because of ST / versatility, not a roster lock. That versatility is a wild card and we don't really know how much it is valued here, though on defense it sounds like a guy like Bryan Scott would stick.

As an aside, I had thought that Marrone's tenure with the NYJ lined up with Smith's, but it didn't...

I do think there is plenty of evidence for the idea that Marrone is going to want a lot of his "own" guys and that a lot of those decisions have already been made

- not keeping Nelson or Jones (though that was in part a medical decision), very few receiver holdovers in general

- lots of raw guys in the OL fold

- 3 new QBs brought in, two of them rookies

- MLB likely to be a rookie draftee

Again, for SJBF and the like - not a concern for me, because my expectations are low. I just think this signals long term growth of a team together as a priority for Marrone. Sometimes that turnaround happens really quickly if you have the right mix - here's hoping.

I think you nailed it. There has been a lot of talk at OBD about the new 'vision' or 'model' that both Marrone and Whaley subscribe to.