Henry free to seek trade

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1966122

Starter trouble: Bills backup Henry wants out

Travis Henry wants out of ...

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

The agent for unhappy Buffalo Bills tailback Travis Henry, who lost his starting job to Willis McGahee during the 2004 season, has received permission from team officials to discuss a possible trade with other franchises.

Travis Henry

Running Back

Buffalo Bills

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD

94 326 0 10 45 0

The permission, requested by Henry through agent Hadley Engelhard, was granted during a meeting with Bills president/general manager Tom Donahoe at this week's practices for the East-West Shrine all-star game. While significant, such a move rarely precipitates a trade, but Engelhard said he has received positive feedback from the several clubs with whom he has already spoken.

"I think there's definitely interest from several teams," Engelhard said. "Here's a guy who has twice rushed for 1,000 yards, is only 26 years old and is a proven commodity. We intend to have further dialogue with some teams over the next few weeks."

Essentially, the move allows Engelhard to shop his client, gauge interest and define a market. He would then report to Donahoe on the franchises with interest in Henry, and the Bills could follow up to see whether a deal could be struck.

With the rapid development of McGahee, the team's first-round choice in the '03 draft, Henry might be deemed superfluous. Donahoe said in his season-ending press session, though, that the Bills want to maintain depth at the tailback spot and that Henry could return for the 2005 season.

"We'll see how it develops," Donahoe said. "I do know this: Travis Henry is a good football player, a good back, and we're not going to give him away."

Engelhard said he does not know what it would take, in terms of compensation, for a team to acquire his client. But he reiterated that Henry is "very adamant" about leaving the Bills and finding a team where he could regain his starter's status. His comments echoed those of Henry, who acknowledged a day after the regular season ended that it is time for him to move on, and that he would not accept a backup role.

A four-year veteran and former second-round draft choice, Henry started the first four games of the season, and five of the first six, before suffering a series of injuries. He was replaced in the lineup by McGahee, who rushed for 1,128 yards despite starting in just 11 games, and then a leg injury sidelined Henry for the final five games of the year.

Henry finished the season with 94 carries for 326 yards and no touchdowns. In the two previous seasons, the former University of Tennessee star averaged 328 rushes for 1,397 yards, 74 first downs and 11.5 touchdowns. A compactly built tailback, at 5 feet 9 and 215 pounds, Henry is a tough inside runner with quickness to the hole.

At the end of the season, Henry contended that he didn't lose his starting job but that it was taken from him.

"It was given away, let's get that straight," Henry said. "It was a difficult year, but things can only go up. I'm just looking forward to getting healthy and doing the things I know I can still do on the football field."

Engelhard declined comment on whether Henry would participate in the Bills' offseason program if he is not traded, but said his client's priority is to play elsewhere in 2005. Henry has one season remaining on his current contract, with a scheduled base salary of $1.25 million for 2005, and Engelhard said the tailback is prepared to sign a long-term extension with any team that acquires him in a trade.

"We appreciate the Bills allowing us to initiate dialogue with other teams, and it could be a situation that benefits both sides," Engelhard said. "As [Donahoe] noted, they aren't just going to give Travis away, and we wouldn't expect that. At this point, very early in the offseason, he is just about 100 percent recovered from the leg injury. And I don't think there's any debate about the fact he is a quality running back."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad idea, actually. Let Travis' agent do all the work to get a decent deal for the Bills. Let TD and company worry about everyone else who wants to play for the team.

204223[/snapback]

worked with peerless.......

It's also good to see Henry's camp repeating the notion that he is 'adamant' about leaving and being a starter somewhere else - which would imply an expectation of 'starting RB'-type compensation for those interested.

this is good. it gives the Bills a full offseason to figure this out. weigh different offers and get the best possible value. if any of McGahee's injuries the last few weeks of the season had been serious, they would not have been able to do this.

Well, lets look at teams that probably need a starting back...

Miami (FORGET IT! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: )

Cleveland

Oakland

Carolina

Tampa Bay

Arizona

San Francisco

Can we convince one of these guys to give us a 2 for TH? Miami would probably be the most willing, then Oakland?

We can only hope.

Did anyone see/hear Warren Sapps' comments on Travis Henry in this weeks USA TODAY Sportsweekly? I am not sure in what context the comments cam out, but he basically said Henry should "man up" and try to win his job back from McGahee, instead of demanding a trade. Hey, I can't stand Sapp as much as the next TSW'er, but I just thought it was interesting for a guy like him to make that comment...not sure if anybody else already mentioned this....

I think this is great news! Yes, we want quality depth at RB, but TH/agent doin' all the leg work, then presenting it to TD frees TD to work only on the '05 Bills and can say ok/hell no! to the best offer they dig up. If it's a second rounder, I say ship his azz- no matter who! :doh:

I think this is great news! Yes, we want quality depth at RB, but TH/agent doin' all the leg work, then presenting it to TD frees TD to work only on the '05 Bills and can say ok/hell no! to the best offer they dig up. If it's a second rounder, I say ship his azz- no matter who! :doh:

204393[/snapback]

Unless it's Miami... TT going to Miami nearly broke my heart. Don't want to see it happen again. Screw the fish! Stay away from TH.

it was expected.

2nd rounder is not to much to pay for a young 1300+ yard RB.

but then again TO went for a second...

but AJ feely went for a second rounder....

its all about what they are willing to pay.

and carolina has a good running back. they were lost due to injuries. doesnt mean they wont be back next year. i can see it now. the eagles trade their first rounder for R. Moss cus they dont have any recievers... :doh:

it was expected.

2nd rounder is not to much to pay for a young 1300+ yard RB.

but then again TO went for a second...

but AJ feely went for a second rounder....

its all about what they are willing to pay.

and carolina has a good running back. they were lost due to injuries. doesnt mean they wont be back next year. i can see it now. the eagles trade their first rounder for R. Moss cus they dont have any recievers... :doh:

204424[/snapback]

Feely did go for a 2nd, and RJ was 9th pick in the draft and a 4th. QBs are different.

As for RBs, Dillon was a #2. Faulk in his prime was a 2nd and a 5th.

Henry is a headcase with serious limitations who is coming off an injury.

If we can salvage a 5th, I say that we take it and run.

Feely did go for a 2nd, and RJ was 9th pick in the draft and a 4th. QBs are different.

As for RBs, Dillon was a #2. Faulk in his prime was a 2nd and a 5th.

Henry is a headcase with serious limitations who is coming off an injury.

If we can salvage a 5th, I say that we take it and run.

204488[/snapback]

just like we'd NEVER get a 1st rounder for peerless.......it happened, and so will henry for a 2nd rounder........