The Ravens' Model of Success: Bills Are Following It

Astrobot

The Bills are becoming the Ravens. Here's why I say that.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh made the tough decision to fire offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. We hired an inventive, young, positive OC in Hackett.

Terrell Suggs returned from Achilles surgery to solidify the defensive backfield. Jairus Byrd will do just that, have patience.

The Ravens' offensive line became dominant once Bryant McKinnie was inserted at left tackle. The Bills stole Cordy Glenn, Wood returned stronger from injury, and Kraig Urbik continues to impress me.

Anquan Boldin proved to be a clutch slot receiver, and Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones gave the Ravens speed on the outside. Bills now possess 3-4 outside threats to complement Stevie J.

In the backfield, Rice and his backup, Bernard Pierce, were big-play threats on the ground and through the air. The Bills have CJ Spiller, FJax, and (As long as I'm out on a limb anyway) Kendall Gaskins.

Joe Flacco gave the Ravens one of the best deep arms in the game. Enter EJ and Tuel, both can air it out.

Up to this week, Ravens TE's Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta gave Flacco the security blanket underneath. Chandler, Smith, Gragg, and Provo are a decent substitute.

Ray Lewis is now Kiko Alonso, quick to see the play unfolding and fearlessly blowing up the play.

A pressuring D with multiple d linemen? Check.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff as always. Very interesting food for thought. Seems like a blueprint to me. And it dovetails with the comments Whaley made about contacting the GM of the Steelers for advice and being told to essentially commit to a vision and find the people to implement that vision.

Question though. How did Terrell Suggs' return solidify the defensive backfield for the Ravens?

GO BILLS!!!

Gosh its so hard to buy in to this Astro. I want to Billieve but what really can I say? We all know what this team has done. 2012 was the first year I actually started to feel good about the team in a while and then..., well again. We know what happened.

The Ravens had guys like Ogden, Siragusa, Lewis, Reed, Suggs. Its hard for me to have faith that those names are not much different then Glenn, Kwilliams, Alonso, Byrd, MWilliams.

Great Stuff Astro, BUT 1 Caviat I see. The Ravens have always had good to great Offensive lines and a damn good Front 7 on Defense. Our DL has been a turnstile for RB's the last few seasons. Our OL though has had some promise but I am slightly concerned with Guard. Granted most of the time you can pick and plug in a new guard but it seems the Bills can't find a clear cut starter that doesn't want to be vastly overpaid. (Ie Wants out of Buffalo imho).

This kind of post pumps me up. I agree that the blueprint is being followed, but realistically, part of the Ravens' success was luck ... just like the Kelly-era Bills. Having guys like those Boyst listed is no different than having the 90s Bills roster.

That said ... I think Buffalo is making the right moves. Run the ball and stop the run.

If these guys (namely, Spiller, Jackson, Dareus, Williams, Williams) can be as good as advertised, it's a great start.

The best moves, in my opinion, have been the coaching hires - although, the ST Coach hire still has me scratching my head, but I have faith.

I like the comparison to the Ravens. I think it's accurate and I think it's encouraging. We just need a little luck, like every successful team has.

Go Bills!

This kind of post pumps me up. I agree that the blueprint is being followed, but realistically, part of the Ravens' success was luck ... just like the Kelly-era Bills. Having guys like those Boyst listed is no different than having the 90s Bills roster.

That said ... I think Buffalo is making the right moves. Run the ball and stop the run.

If these guys (namely, Spiller, Jackson, Dareus, Williams, Williams) can be as good as advertised, it's a great start.

The best moves, in my opinion, have been the coaching hires - although, the ST Coach hire still has me scratching my head, but I have faith.

I like the comparison to the Ravens. I think it's accurate and I think it's encouraging. We just need a little luck, like every successful team has.

Go Bills!

look a a few rosters in the last 10 years. We have had better talent overall.

Great Stuff Astro, BUT 1 Caviat I see. The Ravens have always had good to great Offensive lines and a damn good Front 7 on Defense. Our DL has been a turnstile for RB's the last few seasons. Our OL though has had some promise but I am slightly concerned with Guard. Granted most of the time you can pick and plug in a new guard but it seems the Bills can't find a clear cut starter that doesn't want to be vastly overpaid. (Ie Wants out of Buffalo imho).

I am very concerned with Guard. We only have Urbik, who according to PFF is a very good one. We had the great LG and let him walk. I have (3) Guard, (2) Safety, and (1) OLB as the Bills' top 3 needs on DraftTek, and would be willing to move Guard up if we sign BJ Scott.

A lot of wishful thinking, but I hope you're right. Oh, and suggs is an LB/DE.

Brain Fart. i'm thinking of somebody else, but sub in Mario Williams as our LB/DE and the argument still stands.

Eric moulds, bledsoe, Henry, a stacked defense. A pretty good line. 01-04 our roster was at least equal to today.

Agreed.

I'm really banking on this coaching staff being the best we've had in a long, long time.

I don't know if the Bills have the same caliber LBs as the Ravens. Those four players make a big difference to that defense. Also, the Ravens OL has always been the strength of their team. The bills OL is still a long ways from matching the talent of the Ravens OL.

Terrell Suggs doesnt play in the defensive backfield for the Ravens

Im as pumped as anyone but to say the Bills are becoming the Ravens who just won the super bowl is a little much

I don't think that's what he said. It's a model they are trying to emulate. From an on field strategic and tactical view, it's an interesting collection of personnel.

GO BILLS!!!

It really comes down to QB in this league. If you have a good one you win. A stout defense can help take some of the pressure off of the offense. At the end of the day this league is about moving the ball effectively through the air. If you can't do that you will not win.

I don't think that's what he said. It's a model they are trying to emulate. From an on field strategic and tactical view, it's an interesting collection of personnel.

GO BILLS!!!

actually thats exactly what he said

If the Bills are trying to emulate anyone its the Steelers where Whaley came from

I dont care who they emulate as long it works and they start winning

Edited by Max997

I am very concerned with Guard. We only have Urbik, who according to PFF is a very good one. We had the great LG and let him walk. I have (3) Guard, (2) Safety, and (1) OLB as the Bills' top 3 needs on DraftTek, and would be willing to move Guard up if we sign BJ Scott.

Brain Fart. i'm thinking of somebody else, but sub in Mario Williams as our LB/DE and the argument still stands.

The problem is you dont' EVER overpay for a Guard...EVER. And Tenn is going to get bit in the ass for overpaying our guy. The Vikings signed one of the best guards in NFL history and the best guard in the NFL at the time, it didn't help them win a superbowl.

My problem is how can this front office with all the talent out there even in later rounds of the draft, not find a guard that can clearly start for us.Of all the positions on an NFL team this has to be the easiest to find. I hope Whaley's Pittsburgh back ground finally kicks in and he finds some hog molly's to put at both guard spots this next offseason.

I'm pro-Astro just as everyone else, but this post makes little sense...not saying I wouldn't love to be like the Ravens, but I don't really see this as any sort of plan. Besides, the Ravens are simply more capable of making smart decisions and evaluating players than just about anyone else in the league. It's akin to saying, okay we're going to start following the Steven Spielberg model of movie making. It's great to want to emulate Spielberg, and maybe we'll start with a movie about a little alien with a glowing index finger who likes to eat Reses Pieces...the only problem is that in order for us to be successful we're going to have to have the same innate talent as the guy and that just isn't going to happen.